Agreeing with common knowledge - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2004, 12:28 PM

Agreeing with common knowledge

I am a student of the steelhead and Spey casting. My question is, How much of the common knowledge on these pages do you agree with? My latest question deals with the loud clicker reels. I was brought up in the era when we had a lot of steelhead and it was an honer to land a fish near someone quietly and secretely. It was always a great achievement to land a few fish that no one knew about. This would not be easy with a loud reel. Jerry
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Chief of E.P.

Jerry,

All in all, I find fly-talk to be a knowledgable board and would say that I agree with the majority of the "wisdom" posted here. Some days that might be 90 percent and some days only 51. Still that is a lot better than I can say about some of the other boards.

I was thinking about this while fishing this morning and the great thing for me about this site is the vast majority of posts are discussions about the sport. Be this the holding tendencies of post-flood fish or the specific nuances of a particular rod and line combination. There is no chest thumping about fish caught or attempts to find the magic fly or the hot hole. For the most part, those that post here are beyond all that. Speaking for myself, I find that refreshing.

As for loud clicker reels, I must plead guilty. I now own three of them and for the most part, they are all I fish with. Some years back, I was a staunch anti-Hardy zealot. Then I heard my first screamer hooked on one. Speaking for myself, the noise of my Hardys is for me, not others on the river. I actually find the growl when hand stripping line out to be somewhat bothersome but it is all worth it when a fish is headed back to the salt. I tend to fish alone or with one or two close friends and try hard never to be around lots of other anglers so the silent catching does not really apply much. I also never fish the terminal areas here anglers stack up.

Add to it the fact that the last few years fish are few and far between so trying to hide a fish on is not a problem for me on most days.

I agree that the loud reels are not for everyone and they certainly are not the mechanical equal of the hi-tech wonders but there is something about the lines, the feel, the heft, the pantina and yes, the sound of a vintage salmon reel that I find very appealing.

Sinktip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2004, 04:49 PM

Sink tip good answer

Now there are only 5 days left of the winter season It is time to go fishing. The 51 to 90 per cent of the time would be my ball park numbers. This is the only forum I look at because of its quality information. Jerry
Old 04-25-2004, 09:33 PM

Jerry

When I think of the gentleman that fished in that era most of them used the old hardy reels, and some still do today.

Brian
Old 04-26-2004, 12:41 AM

don't believe it;

the common nowledge,,it's the uncommon nowledge,,,this is why i post here,,,thankfully everyone's put up with me,,and i'm gratefull for that,,truly,,i used to post on another more `regional' board;they whined about nearly every thing,,hey!,,,i want to fish for the fun of it,,,,that's all there is to it,,;time IS money,,but,money won't keep you from your ultimate destiny,,fishing WILL,,,i'm GOING to shout out,,,`HAVE FUN",,all the while challenging other's to speak out about their fun,,,if loud clicker reels upset you,,,i'll move down to the next run,,,that way,you'll bareley be able to hear my laughter,,and my screeching reel
Old 04-26-2004, 09:48 AM

As far as this board goes I think it is in general made up of good people with good information to share. Some of the ultra technical talk about spey casting ,spey rods, spey lines and such, kinda grates on me but hey thats because i'm sitting in front of a computer not out fishing.
One thing I learned yesterday.. with a hard downstream wind from river left the best cast you can make is to get back in the boat and cast yourself off the river, save your energy for another day.

anyway the 90/51 split i think is right on.

MY hardy Marquis #2 with both pawls turned in and still no drag I call the coffee grinder and I love it.. I don't have any secret spots anymore so no point in hiding...
Old 04-26-2004, 10:03 AM
just say no to bait

I have the big Hardy Marquis Salmon reel and it's relegated to the B team. Mostly because of the sound. For the A team I use Islander reels.

The reasons are merely personal preference.

N I
Old 04-26-2004, 02:19 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
I like it

I always liked the sound of a screaming reel. I was given a very used and beat up Hardy when I was younger (well, it was a Hardy made Scientific Angler 7). Plus, always used the old USA made Pfluegers. I just LOVED the sound of the clicking. I never worried much about who heard. Mostly because the rivers I fished growing up weren't as popular as they are now (Hoh, Sol Duc, Wynoochee, Satsop). A few locals, but that was about it. What I always thought was funny that I always heard that flyfishing was the "quiet sport". But the sound of my fly reels made 10 times the noise my baitcasters did peeling out line. :hehe:
Old 04-26-2004, 02:48 PM

Hammer,
I really enjoy reading your posts. Half the time I'm not sure what you are really saying, but I see a lot in them that tells me you've got the right ideas.

I can think of no better reason to be out fishing than because I enjoy it. I think that's why most of us fish the fly. There's little doubt we could all catch more fish, especially in winter, using conventional tackle; so, as I see it, the real reason for fishing the fly is that it is more fun -Simple as that.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:47 PM

Sound love it and live with it, most of what I fish grinds coffee. BTW, I'm the opposite of NI, I have the Islander religated to a way back up roll, thing is it's behind 6 Perfects, 3 Marquis, a 4" Uniqua, and a Saracione. I also have a Bo Mohlin w/ a Poachers check that doesn't get used often (sweet looking reel). IMO, the sound of the ratched give an indication of what the fish is doing.

andre
Old 04-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Junkyard Spey

Hey North Island...

I'm the coach of the "B" team. You'd better send that Marquis down here where it will be in good company. I'll keep it warm at night. Take care, MJC
Old 04-26-2004, 07:08 PM
just say no to bait

hey MJC
I'll trade ya!

dying to make a M G B coffee crack. N I
Old 04-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Never really liked Bougle's until I tied one on to a CND Custom this season. They were too loud and I didn't like the way they allowed fish to run to freely for my liking. After fishing the Hardy all this season I must say I have changed my mind and now love the reel.

As far as the board goes, I feel somewhat like roballen. Some of the techy talk about rods and casting get a little over the top for me. Maybe a bit more contraversy would be nice.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:57 AM

peschaphile,,relax,,

don't you feel the gentle ,rolling rythm of southern oregon's Rogue?,,been on a drifter the last two sundowns,,,spent 40 plus hours roaming around in the rain,,afoot,last week,the coast the week before,guess i'm just intoxicated with the change of the seasons,,,different tecqnics being used,a dynamic time!,spring chinook bareley showing,,,all different sizes of fish,up-down,,?????,,:::::,`common knowledge',?,,here has been bait by most folks,but,i've been catching my fish with the fly for the most part,,i'm using everything right now,,but,,FLY IT!,it's the best!!!,wanna go!!!,,,,,you'll figure me out!!!,,,,,nuffsaid!:hehe:
Old 04-27-2004, 02:07 PM

Sound of music...

I got my first fly outfit at the age of 11 or 12 in the late 60's. Back then the majority of flyreels had loud click-pawl type drags. But, at the time, the movement towards "silent" drags was stirring, particularly in the saltwater arena. By the late 70's, due to the influence of some "expert" flyfishing authors, I had transitioned over to the silent side with the purchase of my first Ross reel. The following decade was a period of "quiet" reels for me - Ross, Fin-Nor, and ATH. The ATH's actually had an outgoing click, but it was very soft and could barely be heard above the ambient sounds of the river.

In the mid 80's I moved to the PNW - land of fly-chasing steelhead, where I promptly began to bump into the likes of Harry Lemire and Bob Strobel, and other "old boys" of the river. Spring days at the Mixer, the crowd of "regulars" fishing through or sitting on "the" log awaiting their turn to swim a fly in this infamous Skagit pool's mysterious, enchanting waters. The cry of "fish on" usually accompanied by the viscous wail of a well-experienced veteran Hardy reel. Sitting on that log, watching an incandescent sliver of silver leaping against a vivid backdrop of dark emerald green water and vibrantly bright Spring-green cottonwoods and alders, I could tell exactly what the struggling fish was doing and how the lucky angler was responding by noting the strength and pitch of the yelps coming off of the angler's reel . The throaty voicings of the old Hardy's being used added a whole new dimension to the catching of steelhead.

I now use Hardy's as my front-line steelhead reels. I like the sound - as another, audible "connection" to the fish, and I love their basic simplicity - more "mano a mano" and therefore more "pure" in purpose and function. My silent reels now collect dust, or sometimes, if they are lucky, they will be taken out for trout fishing. I am somewhat bummed when a fishing buddy hooks a steelhead but is using a silent reel. The muteness of the situation robs me of fully experiencing the catching of their fish... and I do like to partake of enjoying their fish. I can see a figure in the distance bending to and fro, rod bouncing, but have no idea of how far or even if the fish has run. It's like watching a silent movie. Having audio definitely seems better to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.