Fly Fishing Forum banner

I Gotta go fishing ....

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Haven't wet a line since August and I'm going quietly crazy.

My wife is headed back to the UK for a week at the end of November and I'm considering sneaking off down south for a long week-end of screeming reels.

I'm currently thinking along the lines of:

Outer Banks - Hot Striper Action but not easy to get to ...
Keys - Permit & Cuda in early Dec?
Bahamas - Good shots for big bones if the weather bahaves.

Any other suggestions for an early December sortie would be welcome! ;)

#2 ·
Keys might be a cheap way to go, being domestic and considering todays fares. I might be able to swing an extended weekend thing, who knows. Splitting a rental car, etc? Without chartering a boat it's hit or miss but beautiful just the same and cuda are pretty sure things. I have been thinking about renting a kayak at Bahia Honda and going it on my own, I landed a nice bone there on foot one February and there were tarpon busting pilchards that I was afraid to cast toward with my 8wt.

NC sounds good too, maybe even cheaper but a boat seems to be downright required.

#4 ·
With all due respect, the concept of a brood stock fishery is a little discomforting to me. I suppose since they are hatchery fish, and have spawned already, then using them to increase awareness of the atlantic salmon and what it USED to mean in the rivers of the Northeast is a good thing. I suppose if more people catch them, more people might ask "hey why aren't the salmon still in our rivers?". Then, people might fight for the atlantic salmon to be given the chance to re-establish themselves in the Northeastern US.

In reality the recovery hinges on the ability for smolt and adult to pass the many dams on the river. All the stocking in the world will meet limited success until the fish can pass freely from headwaters to sea and back again. Until then it will remain a captive recreational activity lacking the meaning and essence of the legacy of atlantic salmon.

That being said I don't see the harm in breaking out the Spey rods and having at them, and as pennace we could get involved in the AS restoration efforts in the future.

What say you Adrian? Shall we fill the flasks with peat water and break out the two-handed monsters with a chance to feel the drag smoke out of the reel without flying to the British Isles or the northwest?

#5 ·
Guys: FYI if you plan to go after those salmon.

The Naugatuck and Shetucket Rivers were stocked on 10/19 and 10/17, respectively. Additional fish will be added during the weeks of 11/13 or 11/19, and up to 800 additional fish will be added during the month of December.

I don't know the Shetucket very well, but the Army Corps of Engineers Dam on the Naugatuck controls a flood plain and will probably be around for a very long time. That being said, a brood stock program is probably as good as the salmon fishery will get on this river. The Shetucket may be a different story, but I don't know the details.

Mark

#6 ·
Well it's been a few years since I stood in the River Tweed up to my armpits in late November for late run Atlantics but I recall that is was awfully cold!

Events are conspiring against a long week-end so long rods and shrivelled manhood in the Naugatuk might be the only alternative for me being only a couple of hours drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.