Chilling - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2004, 01:05 AM
CantAnchorUs

Chilling

In all the years that I`ve been flinging flies for fish I`ve never had to have a hook that was attached to my line removed from a partner, that is until this weekend. It`s a chilling feeling. Sure you make jokes about it once you are sure that he will survive, but the knowing that it could have been much more serious lingers. I`ve been stapled a few times by others and I can tell you, I`d much rather be the hooked than the hooker:eyecrazy: . Apoligies are not sufficient when you hurt someone thru your oun carelessness. After a couple of hours in the ER we did manage to get 4 bass tho. When the initial shock wore off I couldn`t help but think how much Sean looked like Capt. Lou Albano with that clouser buryed in his cheek. From now on all hooks will be debarbed, so what if you loose one or two.
Steve
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2004, 04:57 AM
LT 20

Sorry

Sorry to hear about the mis-hap, glad to hear Sean is ok!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2004, 06:20 AM

Know what you went through. Several years ago while fishing for salmon in Maine a friend got a hook in his eye. Luckly it did not cause him any serious injury or loss of sight. Very chilling.
FishHawk
Old 04-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Jonesin...

Its all good...

Steve,

No worries here mate! It has provided for some great stories at work and the clip from "Something about Mary" seems to be floating around the office for some reason. Everything seems to be ok. No flesh eating disease or any other serious ailments. And it has certainly inspired me to practice the barbless ways from here on out as well.

Sean
Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Exclamation Steve...

If you stay away from stainless...
Next time, just cut the leader close and release him...
The hook will rust out in a few weeks...:hehe:

A Sean is too valuable a prize to catch only once!
Did you happen to get his weight? 'Could be a personal best!
Old 04-21-2004, 09:40 AM

So that's what I missed!
That coulda been my cheek!

Actually, I'm pretty good at popping hooks out of human flesh but a cheek is mighty soft and flexible. Doubtful the hook would pop out. More likely rip out a big chunk.

I have also had two oppurtunities to push hooks on through and snap off the point and pull it back through the hole. Once on myself and once on my five year old son [who was attached by the hook in his hand to a flopping fish]. The pain is bad for a second, then you're done. The good part is no fishing time lost at the ER or medical bills.

My theory on lost fishing time comes from a memorable story from the Z Men archives.

Back in the early 90s when big blues were plentiful in Maine, a bunch of us were camping at Hermit Island. My Dad was there as well as my two brothers and my brother's friend.
One morning the most intense, unbelievable blitz we had ever known took place. It was so good, my brother [a better man than me] actually left the action to go wake the others at camp.
When my Dad showed up and saw all three of his sons fighting 20 lb bass at the same time, he became very excited to photograph the event. I yelled at him to drop the camera and pick up a rod. He didn't listen. There were so many fish and so much bunker it was obvious they were gonna be there for awhile.

To make the story a little shorter, Dad finally put down his camera and picked up his rod and started to wade in. Just then, my brother's friend [age 13 at the time] was trying to unhook a keeper bass when it planted a large treble hook deep into his hand. He almost fainted, literally.
Natuarally, being the ranking grownup in the group, and responsible for somebody else's kid, my Dad immediately bundled the kid [who was close to being in shock, no lie] and bolted for the ER.
The historic blitz lasted about four hours. As you can guess, it took about four hours and fifteen minutes to get back from the hospital. My Dad missed the blitz of a lifetime. Never before or ever since have any of us seen such a blitz.

The moral of the story is, if you're fishing with me and you get hooked, you can count on me to pop it out. If it won't come out however, you're on your own till the fishing's done!
Old 04-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Pencil me in.....

Watch your anchor line

While fishing with a friend in Florida for Largies the friend tossed out his anchor that happened to have a crankbait stuck to it's anchor line. A treble impaled his hand with such force that it opened it's split ring. Treble in palm, crankbait on anchor line..Brought tears to his eyes
Old 04-30-2004, 05:07 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sorry to hear that you found out the hard way; glad you're OK. Don't want to say I told you so, but I think we had this discussion at a kitchen table at a cottage in Chatham one night.

The barb makes such little difference in landing fish it's not worth the risk. It's physically impossible to throw a barbless hook with a good bend in the rod. I even debarb all my steelhead hooks and summer runs leap all over creation when hooked, and rarely do I lose one and I never consider it to be because of the lack of a barb when they do get off.

My brother is an eye surgeon. There is nothing good about a hook in the eye, but if you have the stomach for it I can tell you a story about extracting a barbed / galvanized plug hook from inside an angler's eye. The barb made the operation extremely complicated, added several hours to the extraction process. A barbless hook would have come out in seconds.

IMHO the barb is for anglers who don't know how to apply proper pressure on a fish, with all due respect.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:54 AM

Having whacked and been whacked by flies & lures tossed by some very accomplished anglers, I try to make sure the stuff I use with my kids is all barbless.

Need to spend the next few nights de-barbing everything else.

Roop
Old 04-30-2004, 05:06 PM
I remember sometimes...,

You're not alone in the hooking department..., I caught my first 200# Budsucker on #6 olive wooly bugger, while he sat quietly in the front seat of my canoe! He ceased to be quiet when the little bugger impaled his forehead.....,
I explained to him that the hook was barbless and that it wouldn't take much to pull it out. I did get it pulled out (on the second pull..., as it turned out to have a little bit of the barb still on it.
I now make sure barbs are really mashed all the way down.
I told my partner that I felt worse than him, however I don't think he ever believed that!
Cheers,
DK
Old 04-30-2004, 05:29 PM
Jonesin...

Juro,

I seem to recall a little line tangle, stomping feet and a few expletives the next day when a certain angler failed to keep a bend in his rod and lost a keeper when there weren't too many to be had. Probably my faulty memory though.

Bonefish virgin over and out!
Old 04-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Flats Rat

Ahhh, the cameraderie of two men in a boat brings back fond memories.

I was on the receiving end a couple of times, back in my trad. loch-style drift fishing days.

General formula went:

Big wind of the rear quarter + HiD line + team of three flies + inexperienced boat partner = OUCH!!! Worst case was two flies buried in the scalp but no emergency room for me - this was competition fishing

Last time it happened the guy says to me "Don't worry old chap, I'm a doctor". I recall seriously considering using one of the oars to turn him into a radar reflector at the time but he did a good job removing hooks and we ended up good friends having both caught double limits.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Recent Member

This has convinced me to bend all barbs flat on every bait I've got. I should have figured this out several weeks ago when I wore one of my Clousers in my back for several hours until I could find someone with enough guts to run the hook all the way through and snip it off.

Sounds like I will lose few fish, if any, without the barb.

May I suggest this: If this unfortunate situation arises, it is a time and money saver if you will simply immerse the area in ice water for long enough to attain a reasonable anesthesia,........then run the hook on through in the usual fashion. Or, at least hold a chunk of ice to the area until numb enough. This will work for the vast majority of hooks in the hide; certainly the more serious injuries in critical areas will need medical attention by a physician. Believe me, going to the ER and being injected with lidocaine to numb it is very painful before it goes numb..........probably more painful than going ahead and running the hook on through without any anesthesia,.......Not to mention the fact that you will save around
400-500 dollars payment to the ER. Don't worry about an infection until it gets infected.

Trust me on this one, I am an Emergency Room Physician
Old 05-01-2004, 05:19 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
on-the water-solution

While I'm not a physician, I have one friend who calls me Dr. Simms as a result of removing not one, but three hooks from him.

Here is the procedure, and it has worked on several guys for removing barbed hooks:

1. Find a stout piece of leader or even flyline.
2. Wrap it once around the bend of the hook and hold both pieces taut with one hand directly behind the bend.
3. Press the eye of the hook touching the skin with the other hand.
4. Tell the recipient "this will hurt."
5. While pressing down the eye-end of the hook, quickly pull the two pieces of line wrapped around the bend away from the hook.

The hook trajectory with this technique exits the hole that was created if it is done correctly.

The first time I did this procedure was on a friend who had a streamer hook embedded in his cheek while on a remote location on the Green River in Utah. Using this technique, the fly flew at least 10 feet, left a slight puncture mark, and he never felt its removal.

This procedure has been written about in fishing journals/magazines for years; thus, I don't take credit for it, but know it has worked for me.

Incidentally, the guys that I have removed hooks from now pinch down the barbs.

Simms
Old 05-02-2004, 06:50 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I don't remember you having such a problem that day

Quote:
Originally posted by Smcdermott
Juro,

I seem to recall a little line tangle, stomping feet and a few expletives the next day when a certain angler failed to keep a bend in his rod and lost a keeper when there weren't too many to be had. Probably my faulty memory though.

Bonefish virgin over and out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.