rods under $200 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2001, 09:24 AM

rods under $200

Joev's inquiry into start-up outfits spawned this question.

How do 9wgt. rods under $200 compare with each other (from a users perspective, not a numbers comparison)? I'm sensative to the objectivity of individual preference & casting styles.

Right now I have a Diamondback All-American that I feel has a slower casting rhythm than I'm used to using (o.k. I get excited when the stripers are blitzing...). I'm looking to get one I'm more in tune with, preferably in a 3pc configuration.

The four names that come to mind are:
D-back AA
St.Criox Avid
Redington Red Start & RS2
Sage DS2 (I did not see these when i was shopping in the spring)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2001, 11:12 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I was amazed at how well the Redington cast for the money. The Dback and StCroix are great values. The St.Croix gives a better all-around package (reel-seats,etc) but in the end it's what the blank does for you that counts so you have to cast them all. The Sages are over $200, ~$240.
Old 10-26-2001, 12:30 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
The other day I threw the Diamondback 9'6 #8 which runs around $170, I believe that is the AA. I was very very impressed, it wasnt a fast rod by any sretch of the means but it was a responsive rod that with one false cast shot an incredible amount of line.

The St. Croix Imperials are nice rods but too slow and soft for an heavy line fishing. The Avid's are excellent rods as well and very light in the hand and fast but the Diamondback would be choice.
Old 10-26-2001, 01:09 PM

NF16 - I've got a 9wgt I could part with - contact me via email if intersted.
JoeV same goes for you, it's used, 3pc but clean etc. I plan on putting into the "spare rod" category otherwise...
Old 10-26-2001, 07:18 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
[quote]Sprocket (10-26-2001 09:24 a.m.):
Joev's inquiry into start-up outfits spawned this question.

Redington has a Wayfarer series priced at $195. This is a five piece outfit that has a moderate to stiff action. An amazaing rod for the price. Tube and unconditional lifetime warranty included. Check out their website for details at Redington.com.

If your are interested in a 10wt, I've got an ultra legend 10wt that I built last year as a backup that has been fished very little. Price including tube and warranty on the blank for $200. I just bough a Sage RPLXi.

I also concur that the St. Croix Avid is an excellent value for the money. I have spent time at the factory and have been duly impressed with their blank manufacturing and their outstanding quality control, not to mention the quality of guides and reel seats used on that series.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
I'll have to put in another plug for the redbone! http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0000785314044a&navAction=push&navCou nt=0&indexId=&podId=0000785&catalogCode=IB&parentI d=&parentType=&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=0000785314044a
there are 8 and 10 wt 3 pc, and 8-12wt 2 pc with sock and tube... and you know how cabelas stands behind things. these have great hardware, are made from im7 blanks and are a great casting rod. the best thing is, for $200, you can get 2! everyone I've let cast these rods has been totally amazed when they found out the cost. try em, you'll like em! Tom D
Old 10-29-2001, 02:35 PM
Fly chucker

Tom- Thanks for the head's up about the Redbone rods. I'm seriously considering getting one for next season, and appreciate your input.

Mark
Old 10-29-2001, 09:44 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Check out L.L. Bean's 6-piece rod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.