S. Monomoy Overnight- Part 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2004, 05:57 PM
President of CAC

S. Monomoy Overnight- Part 2

I got a message from Keith and will be calling the powers that be for further information. I will call tomorrow...and get the details on numbers and cost... then I will have to probably act quickly. I will post the results of the call tomorrow and we can go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2004, 08:36 AM
LT 20

Thumbs up Avatar

Nice avatar John! Looks like a cow from the big girl bar.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

KEWL keep us posted!
Old 04-21-2004, 09:19 AM
President of CAC

I received an e-mail from the "Friends Of Monomoy". I have started opening communications with the guy in charge and the situation is that they will go every weekend...weather permitting, and he will be sending me some additional information. The number of people is limited to 6 and the cost is $200. He has indicated to me that he is willing to work out dates that DO NOT fall on the weekends. I have sent him back an e-mail with some additional questions and have kept Keith in the loop. The next step will be to determine a series of dates, weekends or non weekends... It does appear that we will have more flexability to pick the days that are best to not cramp the weekend trips. If he is certain to accomodate some dates apart from the weekends this will give us more flexability. I have also asked the critical question on whether we can pull this off at short notice as well to deal with weather conditions as well as tide situations (Tide does not matter to me as much as weather, since we will be there for 24 hour periods at 2 tide changes). In describing the trip he stated that these usual go from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon. So.... more information to get but it does appear like we can do it and it does appear as though we may be able to tailor these for us. I will keep you posted and will follow up and speak with Keith as well. It maybe that we can work out time drop offs and pickups to be at the limits that Keith can do and what the refuge is comfortable with. As far as I am concerned $200 is a deal.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:48 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hey that's great news John. I agree $200 is a great deal and can't wait to stay over and fish. Please keep up the good work on opening up a great resource for us.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:11 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
John, I do appreciate your perseverence in getting this opportunity off the ground! Sounds like you have a good rapport with the new director and the Friends of Monomoy.

Do you have a site or email address for the Friends of Monomoy? I and others, I assume, would like to know more about their objectives, mission and vision.

Monomoy is truly a crown jewel. I feel that I have been blessed by being able to walk along its pristine shoreline.

Simms
Old 04-21-2004, 08:08 PM
President of CAC

Jim..I will try to find out if they have a web site. I will also be sure to post whatever information I get from the person I am talking with. This is something that I want to work for the Forum so I am keeping contact information close to the vest for the time being.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
here is their site

it is under construction, so no info yet

http://www.friendsofmonomoy.org/
Old 04-22-2004, 08:27 AM
President of CAC

OK..We are on.... all I have to do is pick the dates in advance of "close" to when we want to go...It's a go ,even during the week...so long as he can fill all 6 slots. I will speak with Juro as to how he recomends we set this up... but I would like to look at June, July, August and September as the good months and will speak with Keith as well......
Old 04-22-2004, 07:33 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
TomD, thanks for the site info on Friends of Monomoy. Looks like it will be up and running in a few weeks.

John, your info on staying at the lighthouse sounds terrific. Interest in this program may be overwhelming. Sounds like a lottery system approach to applicants versus participants may be the solution.

Thanks again guys.

Simms
Old 04-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Flats Rat

Great work John! Maybe one of those trips could be run as an auction / forum fundraiser?
Old 04-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Fly chucker

Great idea Adrian!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:53 AM
President of CAC

That sounds fine with me...but remember we can do more than one trip. I will discus this with Juro and ask his opinion on the set up.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian
Great work John! Maybe one of those trips could be run as an auction / forum fundraiser?
Adrian,

I respectfully disagree on this one. I don't think these should be a "he with the most cash wins event." Monomoy is a natural resource that should be enjoyed by any and all who want to participate. I think it should be a random drawing.

Sean
Old 04-23-2004, 10:03 AM
President of CAC

Sean raises a good point and I was sort of alluding to that when I stated that these trips are not just one time events....I don't think, like the rip trips that we should make those auctions. The difficulty I see is that, for example if we have ,say...5 overnighters...ALL can not be auctions... and picking ..say one to be an auction... might be ok for those who want to contribute to the forum. I think a random drawing is the fairest way to go here , and since we have opportunities for several trips, in theory we will be able to accomodate a lot of people.. That's why I need to get with Juro to figure out how to conduct the first drawing... then the second ... and so on. Fairness would seem to dictate that those who go on the first will not be eligible to be in the second drawing and so on... these are just knee jerk reactions for now. Please keep in mind that these trips are for Forum members and are not being offered to the general public. That is... are not going to be part of the general advertising for the trips...which are only weekend scheduled trips... we have the rest of the time...right now. This comes out of Keiths relationship and his recomendation. I need to sit down with the contact and go over the rules... also, we will need to determine who will lead these trips when Juro or I don't go. I would think I would go on the first, if there is no objection from members... Juro on the second...OR viseversa. Then, Keith will need to feel comfortable with who the others are as Contact or , more appropropiatly, the "person" responsible. I know this for sure... Keith and the contact person will not just put 6 guys together without knowing and trusting them. So, I am hopeful that this situation does not "limit" the availability of the trips...but it could...it is not my call. I want to say this also....Just as an aside..I don't want to get into a "rights" argument on these trips. This NEEDS to be handled delicately. Right now all I know is that we can Have A trip... the next is dependent on many factors. After I speak with Juro we will have a plan. If anyone on the forum ,regulars or newbees, object to how this is set up.... they can take it up with Keith... the captain.

PS. All of this really depends on how the "Friends Of Monomoy" want to handle it along with the Park service. They have there criteria... I do know that if this gets to complicated for them to administer... it will probably be pulled. I will pull this off line and deal only by e-mails going forward if I detect that Keith or the Contact are being given a hard time by people about it...etc. We can deal with the drawings off line as well... It maybe the best way going forward. Naturally ,anything off line will be reported to those involved. I REALLY want this to work out so I am not trying to be heavy handed.... truly. ALSO...I light of what Sean stated, and I agree....THIS IS A PUBLIC RESOURCE THAT IS ADMINISTERED BY A PUBLIC AGENCY IN THE WAY THEIR POLICIES ALLOW. AN Auction might be considered benefiting a private semi orgainization.... It is OUR group that has earned the TRUST. I will speak with Keith about us even acting as an imprompto clean up crew when we are waiting for the right tides, ect... We MUST give back instead of Just paying $200 each. We can do more, than just go.... let the weekenders (if not us because of bookings) just go... we can do more.

Last edited by striblue; 04-23-2004 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.