Orvis Rocky Mountain Large Arbor or Clearwater - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2004, 04:13 AM
Recent Member

Orvis Rocky Mountain Large Arbor or Clearwater

Hi everybody. This is Ruben from Spain.
I need a cheap backup reel for inshore saltwater use (sea bass, small bluefish...) and I want to choose between these two Orvis reels - the Rocky Mountain Large Arbor IV or the Clearwater IV, both for lines from #6 to #9.
They are reasonably priced now here in Spain (say 95 dollars for the RMLA and 32 for the Clearwater) so I was wondering which one would better suit my needs.
Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2004, 07:56 AM

Ruben! Welcome to the board!!

You're (to my knowledge) our first poster from Spain. (Almost every other country is now represented on the (truely) World Wide Flyfishing Board.

No answer to your question as I don't chase trout, but lots of folks here do. You should have your answer(s) in moments.

But again, welcome to 'our side of the Pond.'

Fred Evans
Ashland, Oregon
USA
Old 04-13-2004, 05:50 PM

I wouldn't use either the Rocky Mtn or Clearwater reel in saltwater. It's certain to corrode as it's meant for freshwater fishing.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Recent Member

Thanks a lot fredaevans and flysully.
I'm sorry I haven't been around for a long time. Just wanted to say I finally went through the cheapest way and got a Clearwater IV. I think salt corrosion won't be a problem, as I always clean and oil every piece of my equipment after use. I have been using a BFR Dragonfly Cartridge 395 in salt water for the last five years without any problem let's see if I can give the Clearwater a long life...
Thanks again for you help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.