A heads up to WSC members - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2004, 10:21 PM

A heads up to WSC members

In case anyone who's name is posted. but isn't aware of it: A couple fellas on another board seem intent on posting all the WSC membership names along with cute icons demonstrating lynching. They seem to be "threatening" an ad in the Forks paper publishing the names. One guy has even stooped to denegrating a WSC member's wife. I'm not sure they're prepared for the response should both sides go "dirty." Anyways (at your discretion moderator- I see this as a public service announcement) here's the link:

http://www.gamefishin.com/gfboard/fo...345&PN=1&TPN=2

Last edited by Nailknot; 05-06-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Chief of E.P.

I see it as a PSA as well. Thanks, that was an interesting read and I am happy they spelled my name right :hehe:

Now I know why I don't waste time over there.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Junkyard Spey

P S A

Quote:
I am happy they spelled my name right
Well, he didn't spell my name right which is a little irritating. I didn't have to read very far to see why I wouldn't spend any time there myself.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Come on you guys. I have found the time I have spent on that board to be extremely entertaining. At least until I can find someplace to fish I can do a little trolling to see how much fight I get out of a sucker or two. Although it is getting a bit like fishing for chummers. The fight is to predictable.

Oh oh, I bet now I will get an invite to fish over near Forks. Perhaps by the man himself.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:03 AM

After reading this thread and if you are not a member of the WSC you should be ashamed of yourself. Please join the WSC right now and show your support. Besides how often do you get to have a noose around your name. Now is the time boys show your support if you are not a member.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Registered Spey Offender

I just read most of the crap related to the new rules and moratoriums on the other site. Iím glad there is some place where a bunch of morons can congregate and compete for ignorance. I have just never really gotten into a war of words with people over politics, online or in the real world. Kerry and others, I think itís great you can go in there and stir up the pot, but I never try to expend to much energy trying to change the minds of those that canít even decide to change their own underwear when soiled. It is remarkable to see that these people have enough brain wave activity left over to keep their lungs full of air and heart beating. I donít usually argue with idiots, because their own statements do more harm to their case than I could ever do. Two things will happen, good science and rational thought will prevail and the irreplaceable gene pool will be saved or they will kill everything and their only source of income in the future will be roadside firewood stands. People never change, just the date.

What is really extraordinary are the innuendos and threats of violence, property damage and death. What makes them think they are any better with a deer rifle on that side of the pond than us elitists over here. Per capita, we have way more murderers, disgruntled postal workers, etc. than they do in Forks. These threats and misinformed statements are just another level of ignorance that I will not participate in. Man spent millions of years crawling up out of the swamps and those stupid fools are just trying to drag us back in.

Also, I try not to get involved in shouting matches because as you can see, I have a tendency to use words that get me kicked off forums. That is why you wont see me post on most of the politically charged issues. (Note: I have edited out words like inbred, bast*rd, gangrenous sphincters, etc. Hope nobody gets offended. I just want to go Steelheading.)
Matt Burke

Last edited by mattzoid; 05-07-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Chief of E.P.

Matt,

I am cracking up reading your post. Normally I would invoke monitors privilege and lean it down a little but in this instance, I think I will hold off a bit and see if now that it is out of your system, you decide to do it yourself. I am with you though brother.

As a site, we try to not attack other sites or engage in name calling. This is done under the banner of why stoop to their level. However this is America and if there are some slight indirect references towards the cerebrally challenged, those often slip by.

If you want to talk about it, lets take it offline.

sinktip
Old 05-07-2004, 01:28 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
LOL

Mannnnnnnnnn, why did you post that link. LOL.

You know, I used to browse that board. I'm far from political, I actually hate it completely. I'm a fisherman foremost, and where my expertise lie. But I found that ANY sort of political discussions around "friends" leads to bad things. So why on fishing boards I try to keep out of it. I have my opinion, and I vote that way after reading the facts. But like most political debates, it normally comes down to bashing, and I hate that. Never wins over people, pushes them away. Why I just won't jump into a heated debate. Those who have their beliefs will rarely change when mudslinging occurs.

Ok, onto where I started off this post. LOL. I am a member there. But I just don't go back anymore. Had some fights on there. Then, recently, I tried to shine some light on what I knew over salmon issues. Wasn't my opinion, but stuff that I had sent to me (I'm on that mailing list the Gamefishing Department of yesteryear before the WDFW merge sent out and still sends today). One guy was complaining about regs on a river I literally grew up on and saw it's demise over the last 30 years I've fished it (mind you he's only fished it for 4 years now). What happens when I pull up info that was sent me? I was attacked by the poster, and was treated like I was in some sort of conspiracy. I just couldn't believe it. Then they guy kept quoting the WDFW website. Well, was trying to tell him the stuff I had WAS NOT listed. I finally gave up. Haven't been back since except when I had a notification of a private message, and then answered it and left. It was just funny how ME ME ME some of those guys are. It just drives me nuts. And I'm a certified gear chucker as well as a bug tosser. I'm bilingual in the fishing arts. I grew up and honestly can say I bonked my share of steelhead, and am proud of that. Mostly because I never wasted a steelhead we caught, and there was no talk or concern over wild steelhead back then. Don't think I remember seeing any concern publically posted in any Gamefishing or Sportfishing regs books until the very late 80's/early 90's. And when that came about, that was when my Dad and I started to diminish our wild steelhead intake. But we weren't STS readers then, except occasionally, and only books I had on steelheading (fly or gear) didn't say much about C&R steelhead, in fact most of the fly books I had showed some of the fly greats with hands up gill plates holding dead wild steelhead. Though, my Dad and I made our own conscientious decision to stop retaining them before the mandate came about in our local rivers. Don't think I've kept a wild steelhead since we read about the wild steelhead cause. Even when I caught the biggest steelhead in my life on the SolDuc in Wild Steelhead Retention area a couple years ago. But, at same time, had lots of brats running around to catch as well.

Ok, sorry for the rant. Just had to get that off my chest. LOL.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Thumbs up

Gee, an opportunity to get my name in the Fork's paper. And on a list of who's who. Not that they are ALL reputable...:hehe:

I just printed-up several WSC applications for my son and I (something I've been wanting to do but always put off).

mmm
Old 05-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

MMM,

Glad you are back and I am happy you have downloaded the apps for WSC.

I will be candid here. In the beginning I was not a fan of statewide mandatory release of wild steelhead and perhaps I am not totally behind it now. It did what I figured it would do; create a firestorm of protest and divide the recreational fishermen into 2 groups. Those for WSR and those against WSR.

At first I really didnít care much about this new rule or those fighting over it because I release all wild fish I catch anyway so the rule doesnít affect me much. It was after seeing the response from the other side that I decided to support this rule. I saw a completely unreasonable response. I have never seen such a selfish, one sided view of an issue before in my life as that of those that oppose WSR. Their reaction reminded me of spoiled, selfish, undisciplined children. In some cases I think there was political manipulation and personal grandstanding by some who oppose this. For what reasons I am not sure. Perhaps for self justification or to garner some attention from those that might follow them. As with any cause there will be those that blindly follow without really questioning why.

Last edited by KerryS; 05-07-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Kerry,

Missed you opening day at the secret lake. The boy and I fished really hard for a fair return.

My application has been filled out and I now wait for my son to get home to fill out his. They will make tomorrow's mail.

As to the WSR, I've been split on it myself. I haven't necessarily supported the blanket approach, especially when a few (very few) systems could support a *reasonable* harvest. But those who would kill have never been particularly nice or fair on the wild steelhead preservation front, nor hatchery reform. Bottom line: I support the preservation of wild fish far more than their right to take one.

Let them be content with the brats.

mmm
Old 05-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Thumbs up

The applications are in the mail.

For someone who is always bitching about doing the right thing, I finally did! I encourage all fence-sitters, like my past self, to lend their support.

I feel good.

mmm
Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Jolly Buddha

Smile WSC

Great job MMM

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 05-07-2004, 10:40 PM

MMM,

As the Membership guy for WSC. I thank you a lot. We are getting about 1 or 2 new members a week right now which is nice to see. And if you all haven't renewed, there are a few on this board that haven't please do so ASAP.

JJ
Old 05-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Holdout

Thumbs up

MMM, Kerry and other who have supported. "Thanks for walking the talk" The WSC appreciates new members, but relishes members who will step forward to get their "hands dirty" Believe me there is plenty of other work to do than the recent WSR rule, we just need help to do it. Don't be afraid to volunteer for a project or topic that will stir your interest. Thanks again!

-Lost poor realitive of the Simms family fishing fortune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.