Gold Rope - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2004, 02:10 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Question Gold Rope

Ok, I'm doing a fly swap. It's all pre 1965 NW based steelhead flies. I found an old fly pattern book that was published well before that. It has a fly from 1923 that calls for gold rope for the ribbing. At first I thought it may be oval tinsel. But there are patterns in the book that call for oval tinsel, flat tinsel, and embossed tinsel. So that kind of ruled all those out. Is this similar to the gudebrod braid you find on cards? Want to tie the pattern as close to it's origins as possible. I do have an old spool of material that looks like different gold tinsels braided around a silk core. Came from an old fly tyer that lived across the street from me growing up. Was part of his stuff that was given to me after he passed. Wondered if that would be it.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2004, 09:19 AM

SH69

Send flytyer a pm. He will probably know.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Pullin' Thread

SH69,

Tinsel "rope" is also known as "gold twist". Rope or twist is nothing more than three strands of fine oval tinsel twisted together to form a larger diameter ovoid tinsel that has more facets or side to catch light. It is very different than braided mylars like the Gudegrod braid.

The good news is that it is very easy to make yourself by twisting the three strands of fine oval together (add a little flexible glue to one of the strands before twisting them to help hold them together) after tying them in. Use one of the rubber insert jawed hackle pliers to do this.

The bad news is that pre-made twist is not easy to find today. It is made; it is just not easy to find.

I simply make my own when I need it.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:56 PM

Hunter's Angling Supplies is one place that carries it. It is item number M080301 in their online catalog.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:47 PM

Terminology over the years tends to get muddled particularly where fly tying is concerned.

I expect the writer meant what is more commonly termed "twist". This is usually a three strand round tinsel. UNI has a silver tinsel called UNI-Twist. You can also find such tinsels in craft and sewing stores. Kreinik has some fine twists in silver and gold as well as other colors. I've also found other brands in such places.

Happy Trails!
Ronn
Old 04-13-2004, 12:48 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Perfect

Actually, the stuff I have looks like the gudebrod stuff. But it is actually just as Ronn and flytyer described. It actually easily unspins unless you keep it in the slot on the spool. It's just simply twisted. So this must be the stuff I'm looking for. Now I can get those swap flies done.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:06 AM

question

hello to t_rich, what does senior member mean? how did you do on the ronde this year? i did so-so until the cold hit and zero. sharp steelies flies will be in my arsenal, all i need is presentation and tight lines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.