Orvis Advanced Fly Fishing School - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2004, 12:30 PM
President of CAC

Orvis Advanced Fly Fishing School

One of our sponsors has finalized the Advanced Fly Fishing school at the Harwich "Fishing The Cape" store. This will be an experimental program to see how it goes. Bruce will go with 8 sessions they will be May 20 and 21, May 27 and 28, June 3 and 4, June 17 and 18, September 2 and 3, 9 and 10, 16 and 17 and 23 and 24. It will be a 2 day session. I will conduct the Thursday Morning session and then the students go out in a boat for the afternoon. I then have them for wading all day Friday. This is a extension of the beginner school and have our first bookings for the May 20 and 21 with two students signed up. Maximum of 6 students. I have a curiculum finalized. Although bruce did not want to do Fly Tying I will volunteer to teach any student who wants to outside of the regular time to tye at my place on Thursday evening. We will do the Clouser and Lefty's deceiver. I have been given permission to use Keith (Rip Ryder)for Friday. This was important for me to be able to do. Bruce agreed. Here is the tentative schdule.

First Day

9:00 a.m. Students register at Fishing The Cape

9:15 a.m. Travel to Chatham

9:30 a.m. Introduction: School Overview

9:45 a.m. Advanced Casting Instruction

11:15 a.m. Advanced saltwater knot tying, fishing techniques, and more

12:30 p.m. Luncheon at the Wayside Inn, Chatham

1:45 p.m. Travel to harbor

2:00 p.m. Day guided fishing trip with ORVIS endorsed boat captain

6:00 p.m. Return to harbor

Second Day *

8:00 a.m. Meet at Fishing The Cape

8:15 a.m. Leave for ferry

8:30 a.m. Full Day of guided wade fishing with on-the-water instruction

4:30 p.m. Return to ferry

5:00 p.m. School dismissed

* Second day all times are approximate and depend on tides to insure the best fishing experience.

It is anticipated that these students will be just above beginners or those who have taken the Introductory school and want the next step...It is not for most of the hard core guys on the forum obviously. The FTC web site has more details and this is NOT part of the Orvis regular school and separate from it. One benifits to me ( Whatever it really means) is that Bruce has put the paperwork in for me to be an Orvis Endorsed Guide and listed as such. Anything I do do will ONLY be for the school and I will NOT be guiding anybody outside the program and I will be making guide recommendations as well to the students. Finally it is not intended to be as intense as a Juro or Dave Pearson day or close to what they can do. Fortunatly or unfortunatly I have now accepted a consulting position with MetLife in Boston so I will be working in Boston except for the school program and weekends. I need to take the consulting position to help with College expenses for two in about the same time. The school is a one year trial for me and no doubt Bruce.

Last edited by striblue; 04-04-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2004, 09:43 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Congratulations on your pilot program with Orvis John. I'll see if we can't find you some more flyfishing students to join you in these great intro classes. Getting signed on with Orvis should prove to be a good thing. Also Congrats on the MetLife consulting Gig, Sounds like you will have your hands full with all this and your new Monomoy Flies site too.

Good Luck and Tight Lines.

Greg.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That's great John!

I started out guiding in the area after moving from Seattle with a program called "stripers 101" with a local flyshop. It was an instructional program for fishing saltwater and worked well for basics.

Over the years I shifted to advanced outings on 4x4 surf and sight fishing the flats and no longer do the 101 thing but I am considering rekindling the hardcore school approach on a very high level for flats sight fishing and alternatively 4x4 two-handed surf techniques.

So I guess we'll be competitors

We'll have to have a cermonial scotch and cubano negotiations every weekend to make sure we avoid military activty :hehe:

Putting all kidding aside, I can't think of a better way for you to share your knowledge of the area John. We've spoken on the topic, let me know if I can help in any way.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:28 AM
Flats Rat

Congratulations on both counts John!

Now we can meet for lunch in Boston and discuss Cape strategies
Old 04-05-2004, 06:36 AM
President of CAC

Thanks ....but I want to emphasis that I don't look at this as a competitive situation. I suspect that the students will be vacationers who took the regular course and since it is new I don't really know what the sign ups will be. As I mentioned I will be making guide recommendations for those who want to the Juro type outing. During the months of July and August will be dormant for the school as well.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:39 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

John, I don't see it as such only meant to make fun. I am however serious about the scotch and cigars
Old 04-05-2004, 06:45 AM
President of CAC

Ok Good.... I have some well aged Cubanos with your name on them.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:41 AM

John.......

Turning Pro, Huh!

You sure you want to loose your amateur status?

You'll be a great instructor.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Thumbs up Good for You!!!

Congratulations John. I can see it now....."O.K. Boys! Loose the wadders and that thing on your back. All you need is a box of flys, a hat, sun glasses, and an EXO shirt."

In reality, you have a ton of info to share. This will be good for you and the students.

On another note. Sorry you have to go back to work. This too shall pass. Don't forget to make some time for the rest of us.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:36 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

John- do the graduates get a fez, or the more traditional mortarboard?
Shep
Old 04-05-2004, 07:07 PM
President of CAC

Jimmy... yes... like the movie "Saving Private Ryan" when he signed on the GI french translator.. "You won't need that. ... and that,... and get rid of that".... Shep... only a visit to CAC gets the Fez.... and not the fly tying session.... the Fez ceremony is a serious occasion .
Old 04-06-2004, 12:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Congrats John,
Hope all goes well. The college dues can really hamstring a budget can't they?
As sloppy a caster as I am maybe I should sign up.
See you in May.
Best

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.