Striper Fly Action II - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2004, 08:54 AM

Striper Fly Action II

Trying to get back on track...

Having spent my time trying to match patterns & bait, I am going to be trying flies that focus on similar colors with much more action to the fly.

Have done so with a fly that imitates a top water rubber bait that was disgustingly successful last year (it was the orange ugly fly that was auctioned at Wilmington) and now I'm focusing on baitfish.

Using white zonker strips for the belly & trying sheep, craft fur & yak hair for the wing/ top. Any recommendations on keeping the wing from fouling?

Roop

Old 03-31-2004, 09:15 AM
President of CAC

Jeff.... Try one of Bob Pink's flies he tied a long time ago... by attaching TWO rabbit strips or zonker strips up and down. I think he needed to find a type of glue that would work on the leatherish skin and found that the glue used for "Birdies" in badminton worked or the glue that attached feathers to arrows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 09:41 AM
Flats Rat

Jeff

A couple of things that have worked for me:

1) Install a stiff mono loop in the horizontal plane at the rear of the fly before tying in the tail materials. Doesn't interfere with hookups and works well.

2) Use a bendback / keel-hook. Upside-down seems to be naturally anti-fouling and no less effective hook-up. Also you can really get "down and dirty" when the fancy takes you.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:54 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Part of the problem with that combination could be the difference in physical characteristics between what's above the midline and what's below. One is short hair attached along it's length to a piece of hide and the other is a loose waving length of hair secured only from the head. Or maybe that's the effect your after, I don't know - but as far as fouling, I would think the rabbit is more prone to foul.

But if you wanted to hold the hair in a general direction off the hook bend how about tying it buffy style with an underlying ezbody cone, or else doing the layered flared hair trick that Bob Pop has mastered, a layer of softex, or last but not least deploy the silicone prophylactic tactic.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:53 AM

If you go wth striblue's suggestion about the double bunny, contact cement works well for keeping the 2 strips together. Aquaseal or Goop might work too.

Nat at Fistlight ties some awesome silverside patterns using a rabbit strip threaded into some mylar tubing. This is tied in at the head and shrouded by angel hair and a dab of loon soft head. Doesn't foul and you'd have to see the action in the water to beleive it.

Might be worth checking them out for some inspiration some time...
Old 03-31-2004, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I was never really a fan of the double bunny but wasn't the glue the kind you use to cement fletching (?) to arrow shafts?

Anyway, appreciate the thought, will mug somebody with a digital camera when I get some OTW testing done to post results.

Best of luck,

Roop
Old 03-31-2004, 05:34 PM
Wanna be striper bum

More no-fouling tricks

Roop,

When Dave Skok ties his Mushmouth he applies a tuft of synthetic hair like stuff (ultra-hair or super-hair or whatever) along the hook shank and extending beyond the hook bend by whatever amount you desire. Then he covers that tuft with Softex.

This trick has kept some flies that I have tied from fouling and I find it to be really simple if you can afford to wait for the Softex to dry. The softex makes this tuft of hair more rigid but not so rigid that it ruins all of the action in the fly.

Peace out.

-Mike
Old 04-01-2004, 06:37 AM

Thumbs up

I too like the mono loop at the bend of the hook. Works like magic. Try it you'll like it. FishHawk.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:40 PM

Jeff, you're right. The adhesive is called fletch-tite and it's an archery product. I love the subtle action on the double bunnies but they land on the water like an old sock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.