Bobbing for french-fries... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2004, 03:57 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Question Bobbing for french-fries...

Sunblock is for sissies!
...that being said...
After several weeks of Efudex kemo cream applications to my mug, I look like a Chernoble nuclear reactor cleanup technician...or someone who stuck his face into the NASA anti-matter particle generator to get a better look!!! :eyecrazy:

So...here's the deal...I've fallen on my sword (more like my face, or what's left of it) and I'm asking for some opinions...I'll be fishing more as a troglodyte...and wearing a protective hat/shirt/etc when I'm out in the sun but...
What's the best/most effective/cosmic SUNSCREEN?!

I am now accepting suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c-130#3.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	3127  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Jonesin...

Coppertone Sport 45

Being a fair skinned lad I have found it to work wonders. One application in the morning has been working for me. I also wear sun gloves and sometimes long pants. If I am wearing shorts I do need to reapply to the legs every 4 hours or so.

Sean
Old 03-29-2004, 04:22 PM

keep it simple

Been there with the luminescent face and will likely have to go back to do the tops of the ears-- again. Love it.

The best thing you can do if throw away your ball caps and get a big, full-brim hat. Then get the tropic weight, long-sleeve shirts, long pants and socks. They do more for sun protection than block-- besides, I've disccovered that I stay and feel much cooler when I'm fully covered.

After you do this, apply the sunblock, then you can feel pretty good about your protection.

This year, I'm thinking I may have to go the sun-glove route as well.

Can't be too careful about skin cancer...

Keith
Old 03-29-2004, 04:59 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Penguin,
Try Bullfrog, I think it uses super glue for a spreader but it doesn't wash off and sweat doesn't make it run into my eyes and sting.
I used it for years when I lived in HI.
Aloha,
DK
Old 03-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I use nutrogena spf 50 oil-free because it prevents me from getting ZITS at my age.

It's not quite as smear-proof as other brands though. I do not apply any over my eyebrows and forehead because that area is protected by my long brim flats hat. I do however apply it to the cheeks, jaw and neck and get fairly close to the orbitals because I don't like the reverse racoon tan to have a sharp contrast :hehe:

The only time it gets into my eyes is when I rub my gooped up face with my hand and then rub my eye in a sequence. It's not excruciating but it is annoying. Or maybe it's the sunblock I've plastered on my hands, which burn like crazy on the flats unless I cover them. I have since learned not to rub my eyes with my hands.

Penguin, don't you have a wrap-around turban from your days in Desert Storm?
Old 03-29-2004, 06:30 PM

You need to do more than wear a hat, Juro

Juro-- Here's a warning: a buddy of mine who is a bass tournament pro had the same thoughts about protection from a hat brim, so he didn't use sunblock there because he always wore a hat as part of his sponsorship deal.

Guess where the skin cancers showed up? On his forehead. His advice to me is to grease everything and cover up. That was the year I got the warning (and had to do a chemical face peel) from my doctor. There are mitigating factors: he lives in Kentucky, fishes all over the South, is blue eyed and fair skinned, and fishes like most of us wish we could, so he was especially susceptible.

But still...

Here I am, packing for a trout trip on the east side of Washington state in APRIL for goshsakes, and I'm putting in the SPF 30 and big floppy hat.

Keith
Old 03-29-2004, 08:13 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Penguin of Yemen meets...

Orvis of Monomoy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spf75 001.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	3128  
Old 03-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks for the warning Keith! I will keep that in mind. stalking the flats on mid-summer days can take it's toll on the skin for sure.

Penguin... I hope Yarmouth's finest doesn't see you driving around in that sunblock... you might get the blame for the incident at Tedeski's!
Old 03-29-2004, 11:53 PM
I remember sometimes...,

I beleive the only reason that a flightless bird would start this post was because he had a yenmeneze photo that he needed to display. It was merely a matter of time before some unsuspecting friend mentioned "covering up" and shazammmm....., IMHO!
Has it really been that long of a winter in area 61?

Cheers,
DK
Old 03-30-2004, 08:13 AM

Pete try Water Babies SPF 45. It's made by Coppertone & as harmfree to the skin, eyes as any I've seen.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:37 AM

Pete,

Try the Coopertone sport gel the Sean suggested. Waterproof and more importantly sweat proof. I wet wade all summer and the stuff is awesome. Totally clear and absorbs into your skin (dry to the touch) in seconds so you don't need to worry about smearing your flies.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:25 AM
Fluff

The Coppertone Sport Gel or Bullfrog 45 and long sleeves as well as a full hat are what my Derma guy told me last time he took stuff off my arms, ears, etc. said I was lucky the face and nose didn't look like they were affected- YET!

P.S. -Cool pics of the chaff deployment and the Yemeni Halloween costume! (I thought I was the only one with a India Campaign helmet! ) HEY! No, Wait- That's Claude Raines!!!

Last edited by DFix; 03-30-2004 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:40 PM

Let's hope the FBI or Homeland Security doesn't look at this thread . They'll think were a bunch of Terrorist!! :hehe: Bullfrog stick is the one to use . It can't get on your hands and the fish won't smell it.
FishHawk
Old 03-30-2004, 03:00 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Thumbs up Armed with some great suggestions...

As soon as it gets dark (I don't want to scare any children) I'm off to locate some...
Binford 5000 Industrial strength Coppertone Bull Frog Water Babbies SPF MIDNIGHT...
I've already got the SolarProof HeadGear (that's also rated to withstand direct Clauser hits)...shirts/pants/shoes/gloves...
YIKES!
Let's hear it for Solar Flaires...we're all DOOOOOMED!
Old 03-31-2004, 10:00 AM

Re: Armed with some great suggestions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Penguin
As soon as it gets dark (I don't want to scare any children) I'm off to locate some...

I've already got the SolarProof HeadGear (that's also rated to withstand direct Clauser hits)...shirts/pants/shoes/gloves...
Pete,

I doubt if you could ever scare the girls after all they've seen/ heard from you but you're welcome to come up & try anytime!

RE: the clouser helmet - I've been working on my casting + the t-top should offer you some protection from me... until I snag it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.