Tipping the Guide - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2004, 06:45 PM

Tipping the Guide

For all those out there who have hired guides,

I have always felt the guide deserves extra recognition when the effort seems above and beyond the call. An argument that has been ongoing with my father is whether to tip the guide at all. Specifically the captain of a boat.
Last year I went out with a cape guide and told my nephew father and his freind they should pitch in on a tip (they didn't guide felt stiffed). 10 percent for good fishing and up to twenty if the effort and fishing is truly outstanding(not unlike a waitress in a restaraunt).
I am just looking for opinions.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2004, 07:03 PM
I remember sometimes...,

15% is pretty standard for a decent job. Some guides charge for the flies (pretty common on western trout streams) some do not. I always felt more inclined to tip more than 15% when the guide didn't charge for flies and put forth the extra effort, ie, suggestions, extra attention for newbies and including a few extras in the lunch bucket. Most guides are not getting rich on the deal, so I like to see the good ones make it. Over the years I have gotten some great patterns and tying tips from guides.
Cheers,
DK
Old 03-24-2004, 08:21 AM

It always bugs me when guides charge you for flies. I mean what does it cost to tie a trout fly, 5 cents?

I do the same - 10% for a good day 15% or better for a truly outstanding day. Another way of looking at it is how hard they work for you...which might be different than the end result. Fishing down in Harkers last fall we hit a slow day and Brian Horsely had us on the water from sun up until dusk. Couldn't beleive we didn't run out of gas and he seemed truly dissapointed that we didn't have a better day. That is good guiding in my book, despite the outcome.

Of course he pulled out the stops for us and we nailed them the next day which made it all the sweeter
Old 03-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The best tip you can offer a guide to is book him again. After a good day, a bucket of Monomoy steamers and a cold Buzzards Bay at Squire's says thank you in a way words can't.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:48 AM
NC Fly Guy

When people ask me what is the standard tip after a day of me tkaing them out fishing, I look them straight in the eye and with a straight face say:
"How much you got in your account?"
That usually puts everybody at ease (because they know I am kidding). If I get a tip, I am happy, if not I am still happy. However, more money is always better than less.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:31 AM

Tip? I usually don't evan pay. I just turn to him and say "thanks Juro" .

(Which is a testiment of what he has done for me/us). Thanks man.

Lefty
Old 03-24-2004, 12:44 PM
LT 20

What Lefty said !!!!!

Thanks Juro !!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I appreciate the gesture but sure don't deserve it. As long as I am running ahead to where I think the fish are going to be next and castin' I am not guiding
Old 03-24-2004, 04:06 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Juro- those steamers sound pretty good! PM to you about possible reservations for Mem Day weekend- would like to try out the two-hander if possible....
Jim Shepherd
jshephrd_99@yahoo.com
Old 03-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

In my line of work 20% is a standard tip and I'll go to 40% based on the situation and the tab.

If you pull all the stops out for me I'll reward you handsomely.

I could care less if you are the owner or not. If you are doing the job well you deserve every penny you get. In this day and age competent and attentive service is a rarity and should be compensated as such........
Old 03-25-2004, 06:42 AM

I used a local guide who dropped the ball on a trip that I had booked. He stayed up all night the day before our trip and was off his game. I still tipped him anyway because Boston is a small town and I didn't want to get the reputation of a cheap skate. I should have not even paid him for the trip as I was ripped off. Moral of the story , only the good guides really last. Just watch some of the good ones at work like Dave Pearson. They work hard for their clients and are worth the extra compensation.
FishHawk
Old 03-25-2004, 06:58 PM

15% sounds reasonable

Thankyou everyone for the comments.
I guess 15% is pretty reasonable for the guides efforts. I will make this standard for the times I hire a guide.
Thankyou again.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:23 AM

tipping of guide

I usually bribe the guide with half the tip before we get near the water the incentive for the rest of the tip usually pays off well.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
tips

If I felt that I had to come up with some sort of convoluted plan like that to assure my quided treatment I would not go with that guide in the first place. If I was the quide and anyone did anything to show that they thought thier trip would be different because of a promised tip, I would be highly offended and that person would find it impossible to rebook! Beau
Old 03-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Recent Member

I hate to be the odd man here,but. 3, 4, 5 hundred dollars a day and a guide feel stiffed if he doesn't get a tip? Especially if he works for himself? He sets his rates and demands(if he feels stiffed, demands would be a accurate discription) an extra 10 to 15 %. If a guide goes out of his way to teach you something or help you a reward should be given, if he rows you down the river and if you catch fish all well and good, that's something else. A tip to me is a reward for extra effort, you've already paid for the ride and he set that rate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.