TV Fishing Shows - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2004, 09:39 AM
President of CAC

TV Fishing Shows

I must still be in a bad mood and feel like gripping. I enjoy fishing shows because they are about fishing... I really don't watch much ,especially shows like Jimmy Houston, etc. BUT this morning I plugged in and have just about had it with the way these guys fish. Little Bass, little to me in a way... rods stuck firmly in their gut and setting the hook as though they were going to rip the lips off a fish... or trying to show the audience that these are BIG babies! You would think they should be showing the right way to set a hook... and all that arm and back arching and power yank to bring in a 12 inch bass is really rediculious. They teach nothing at all about the right way.. it is TOTALLY uneccessary to do what they are doing to hook a fish. I was sure that the "power yank" would have pull the fish up over their heads on the first yank!!!!!!!!!! Anyway that'd my grip... all was not lost since the last show I watched was Flip Paillot.... fishing for small tarpon and strip setting the hook and "a little Quick rod raise.... then his usual pleasant converstion about things, and his gentle handling of the fish... baby tarpon Bigger than the bass I saw earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2004, 10:31 AM

John, You forgot Bill Dance routine......how many times does the 12 inch bass make me swivel around in my chair and make my rod go from one side of the boat to the other repeatedly.....following by holding it up, out of the water with his Boca grip until the poor fish is not only exhausted but totally dry.....but I guess....."that's what it is all about folks!"
Can't wait to go to Wallmart and get a lure that brings the same excitement! Few if any of these shows are about information, even the fly shows. No comments on type of line/fly used, technique. Oh!!!!! and how about Competitive Fly Fishing.....in that one.....you got 30 minutes in each pool to catch a fish against other "flyfishers"......maybe competive yoga will be next......who can relax and lower their blood pressure first!
Don't tell Health Channel, I may have a winner here.

Ron
PS: Sorry for the hostility, but I need to get out and fish!!!
Thanks John, now I feel better that I got it out of me.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
tv shows

I have the same hostility after watching some shows. Just watch Larry Zonka fishing wogs for silvers in alaska.Cant cast,so always has leftover line at his side that his weak cast could not pull out.does not know how to strip and pop and tries to hook them with the rod rather than a hard strip set. why do they think we want to see a so-called celebrity fishing rather than someone who is a expert that can impart a few gems of wisdom learned after millions of hrs afield?Is that really the audience or is there room for a show that would appeal to "us".Beau
Old 03-27-2004, 12:32 PM

and how about all those freaking hooks! it would seem that for every hook in a lip, there are two in the eye
i think that the tourney guys have alot of $$$ riding on each fish and they can't afford to waist too much time on TLC. the "tarpon set" is probably to set the hook quickly, but it does look goofy.
i would love to see a mortality study done at bass tourniments
Old 03-27-2004, 12:42 PM

bass tour

I hate bass touraments. they used to have them on the lake I fished.not only is there a mortality problem in my mind, but all those fish are taken from the various honey holes and then dumped back in miles away from those spots.beau
Old 03-27-2004, 12:56 PM

It is the right way ...

Actually the method Bill Dance and others are using to set the hook on bass is "the right way".

First of all the angler has no way of knowing if the bass is 12" or 12#.

Secondly they often are using soft plastic baits. The Bass will suck the worm/lizard/crawfish into his mouth. You may have to set the hook through the bait several times before the hook point actually contacts the bass.

The bass has hold of the lure in his mouth. The only way to set the hook is to move the lure.

The line may also be anything but straight to the fish. It may have a lot of slack introduced to the system by weeds and wood in the water.

Every good FW bass fisherman I ever fished with, set the hook the same way - I believe the saying is to "Cross their Eyes".

PS- I like tourneys. They quickly separate the BS from what works!
Old 03-27-2004, 02:25 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Yup. I tend to ignore many of the non-flyfishing shows with few exceptions (Charlie Moore is a bit of a hoot,being a local and all...). Trevor Gowdy's show has the legacy of(and an occasional appearance by) his dad. TU TV is interesting, once you get past the host's corny lingo (heh, that's a corker!...did they clone this guy from Gomer Pyle?). Fly Fish TV also has some good spots, including some tying tips for those that do. As for the general freshwater shows, InFisherman takes the trophy for systematic,logical approach without alot of theatrics.

My two pesos.....

Jim Shepherd
Old 03-27-2004, 02:42 PM

trevor Goudy is another person that needs to learn how to cast.beau
Old 03-27-2004, 03:32 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
MTV meets ESPN...

IMHO...
Charlie Moore, while he may be a "local boy", is little more than a gerbil on speed...I find his show and demeanor ALOT more than just annoying...He gives NE fisherfolks a bad name and has very few, if any, redeeming qualities.
Next on tap is "Caught Ya"...a knock off of the "Punked"...
WHAT A PILE OF JUNK!

Am I alone on this one?...or are these just sorry excuses for sports programming, an insult to one's intelligence, MTV creeping into ESPN...OR WHAT!!!?
Old 03-27-2004, 03:56 PM

not alone

you are not alone!! I throwup when I see the listings on the program software.I also despise the attempts to make everything a competitive sport. why does everything have to be a competition. why does everything have to be so-called dramatic ,with loud yelling and body gyrations. the beauty of fishing and hunting is that they are all about you and the wonder of the game and your surroundings. no competition! just you vs your objective.Beau
Old 03-27-2004, 04:11 PM
President of CAC

Bring back Gaddabout Gaddis!
Old 03-27-2004, 04:16 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
My Hot Button

No offense intended toward a New Englander, but Charlie Moore missed his calling, he fits in well with the pro wrestling crowd. I predict one or more episodes of "Caught Ya" will have some very physical scenes. If they ever pulled some of that crap on a couple of my buddies, I know the end result.

ESPN appears to produce fishing shows for the lowest common denominator; however, I do like Flip Pallot, Jose Wajebe and John Barrett.

I'm not an elitist, but give me a break!

Simms
Old 03-27-2004, 04:17 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Charlie Moore is so annoying that...

He makes the Jerry Springer show look like a Discovery Channel documentary...
AND
He gives me an anxious (semi) colon!
Old 03-27-2004, 05:21 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Yes, while Mr. Moore may be annoying to some and may mimic alot of the theatrics endemic to other bass shows, I find his antics entertaining at times. It's also nice to hear someone with a local accent after being bombarded by Dixie drawls on most of the shows. I look at most fishing shows as little more than a source of entertainment when there's nothing else to watch, not as any real source of information. Most are not flyfishing oriented and/or do not involve areas/species I am likely to be fishing at/for.

Another two yen in the bucket....

Jim Shepherd:hehe:
Old 03-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Middle Aged Member

You guys need to find something to do on Saturday morning . I ain't gonna say no more. I stopped taking the wellebruten too soon and I've got this nasty hair across my butt. But Moore doesn't bother me too much. He plays up the loud mouth jerk role so at least he doesn't take himself too seriously.

I did see Jossy Wahjeebee fishing the rips off Nantucket this morning,,,pretty good show.

Last edited by FredA; 03-27-2004 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.