Side Saddle Tying - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2004, 02:56 PM

Side Saddle Tying

Side Saddle Tying (SST)
Side Hackle Flies

Benefits

Large profile flies tied sparse without the bulky materials for ease of casting/balance with fast tip technology rods.
Cone spreader alleviates the saddle hackles from joining together when wet.
Can now utilize more of saddle hackles than neck hackles for tantalizing action.
Can be weight balanced if desired to control sink rates by changing cone sizes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2004, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to flyfreak
Sick Pics Ray !!!
Very Nice !!
What size and type of hook ?
What size cone ?
Did you have to crimp the barb ?

It looks sweet !
Old 03-26-2004, 04:40 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs up Nice one Capt Ray!

Less PHILLING...Tastes GREAT!
'Word is, there are some hungry Schnauzers on the CT coast...
These flys look like a sure thing...
Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 03-29-2004, 06:53 PM

Those of us who have been fly tying for any length of time start to get obsessive-compulsive about fly design. We take our fish proven flies and tweak Ďem; often-making slight improvements that reap better performances. Perhaps itís just a different color combination or tying material. Whatever the reason, we do not sit idle and be complacent about it.

What Iíve tied to do with the side saddle tying was not solely design a new fly but make design improvement for the implementation /action of saddle hackles. The bead spreader was one idea to add separation between saddle hackles. Changing size-weighted cones too will effect sink rates and buoyancy. There is a lot of area to play around here. Using an Easy Body spreader, the fly becomes more neutral in the water column. Cutting off a slice of Styrofoam body and adding it to the rear of the hook makes the fly ride higher at the surface.

In the baitfish sequence, Iíve tied the hackles flat against the hook in the same direction. Squid patterns, the hackles could be tied radial around the spreader to be perpendicular to the centerline. The fly shown previous has the tail feathers tied in at the flat wing position? I like this position better due to the fact the tail feathers are perpendicular to the side saddle hackles. This might help reduce fowling. They could also be tied in prayer style as well.

Hereís one missing step that you might not see in the finished photo. (See attached photo below) There is bunny hackles used forward the spreader prior to bucktail added.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:08 PM

flyfreak.... Thanks!!!!

Them dar hooks are Tiemco 811S 4/0. Any standard length hook will do. You don't have to de-barb them either to slip the cone head on, but it makes sense.

Not sure on the bead sizes. They come from a RI distributor. Can e-mail you the informtion. You can find them in most shops.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:27 PM
President of CAC

Ray... That is one bueatiful fly and I like the technique...wish I thought of it... also the Pictures are truly remarkable and clear.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:45 PM

John.... I am not worthy to tie your sandals with 6/0 tying silk. Nor even walk in your footprints at South Beach.

Trying on the Phaz.... now that' another story.

Elise truely loves your crab pattern at the Willmington Show.

Great stuff.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:31 PM
President of CAC

My footprints you can find..... It's Juro's you can not.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:38 AM

Nice work Ray as the kids say"You da man". These should be real killers. FishHawk
Old 03-30-2004, 08:43 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Question RayMeister...

The flys are really swell...but your photos are special!
Great composition, lighting, colour, and detail...!
What are you using to capture the magic???
Old 03-30-2004, 08:48 AM
President of CAC

I am with penguin here... What is the configuration of the picture. I still take mine with the Maximum pixels... then reduce it to about 4 by 3 inchs because they get rejected if they are any bigger... so I am curious how you were able to post such large and clear photo...Can you give us your camera settings and if you use Photshop to do anything? Thanks Ray.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Nice stuff Ray!

John -

His images are hosted on his own website, thus the size limits are not restricted to a forum server (he is the only user on his own site). If ya think about it, your website will be the same situation!

Ray -

I recall some online discussions about thin wire high-strength alloy hooks vs. thick wire. It's good to see you've come over to my side of the fence on that matter with the 811s, an incredible thin wire hook
Old 03-30-2004, 09:25 AM
President of CAC

Thanks Juro..I understand. Sounds good.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:31 PM

Juro's the wiz tech'ie when it come to explaning how images can be vaporized in a wire and brought to life.

He's right!, I do post them from my web site. I guess they are stored in a passive file not html to my active web pages. That's my amateaur explanation.

John......Once you get your web site up and going I expect a lot of us would like to see a complete step by step of your best ideas.

Pete.... I deal in the world of the unknown... Mirrors, smoked glass, and reflections. Most of my photograpy express my imagination mainly from the sixties. For instance, this cover fly (on this tread was photographed in the bathroom. Completely dark, I placed the fly suspended on a piece of clear plastic wrap in the toilet bowl. You make two holes in the cover itself. One large hole one for the camera lense, the other for a pen light source. Close the cover than shoot. That's all.
Sh...t happens!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Marine Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by RayStachelek
John......Once you get your web site up and going I expect a lot of us would like to see a complete step by step of your best ideas.
Yes, we would!

Quote:
Originally posted by RayStachelek
Pete.... I deal in the world of the unknown... Mirrors, smoked glass, and reflections. Most of my photograpy express my imagination mainly from the sixties. For instance, this cover fly (on this tread was photographed in the bathroom. Completely dark, I placed the fly suspended on a piece of clear plastic wrap in the toilet bowl. You make two holes in the cover itself. One large hole one for the camera lense, the other for a pen light source. Close the cover than shoot. That's all.
Sh...t happens!
Now that's quite an original concept in photography! Great pattern!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.