Old Truck - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 07:12 PM

Exclamation Old Truck

My Jeep is nearing the end of it's life as a beach buggy, over the river and through the woods, zip here, zip there, pull the camper, pull the boat kinda vehicle. Front tire fell off while going 80 but it keeps on truckin'.

My Goal - 1/4 million miles.

I'm thinking of getting another.

Yes, Yes I'll send the email to the Jeep division of Chrysler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Pullin' Thread

Jim,

My 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L has 213,000 on it and the only major repair I've had was having the manual trans rebuilt at 187,000. The input shaft bearing split its roller retaining ring in between the rollers and I could not find a replacement bearing without purchasing the tranny rebuild kit. It is a Peugot 5-speed and Peugot quit selling in North America in the early 90's. Had to get the rebuild kit shipped from France to the auto parts store.

Also, I had it repainted at Maco three years ago because the clear coat was chalking. It uses virtually no oil between 3,000 mile oil changes and it starts every time.

I figure it is good for around 400,000 without any other major repairs, if I keep it that long.

Fortunately, out here roads don't get salted so bodies don't rot out like in the east and midwest.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
My '99 Cherokee Sport is nearing 100,000 miles and aside from the occasional oil change, new front brakes and a replaced serpentine belt, I haven't touched her (knock on wood!).

In a year or so when she has too many miles on her for my liking, I will probably purchase another if I can find around with low enough miles (Jeep should of never of dropped the standard Cherokees from their lineup).
Old 03-25-2004, 10:47 PM

I've got 242,000 on my '93 Grand Cherokee--the first model year. It replaced a Cherokee from '84 with 185K. I've got more than a thousand dollars worth of beach stickers on the truck and I'm facing a radiator replacement before the weather warms up, but I figure to hit the quarter million by year's end, including a fair number of miles on the sand. I'm hoping the good looking blond with the Polaroid in the Toyota ad will find me and take my picture as the odometer turns through 250K. Why tell Chrysler? Isn't this what they were designed to do?
Old 03-29-2004, 06:26 AM

Thumbs up

I had an International Scout which had 300,000 miles on her before she blew a rear axle and I could not fint parts to fix her up. The toughest vechile that I had. They don't make them like that anymore. FishHawk
Old 03-29-2004, 06:48 AM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
Exclamation old REAL truck

No disrespect intended, but a Jeep ain't no truck! Especially the SUV cherokee's. My 1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup has 310,000 miles on the original motor (22r 4 cyl) and tranny and still goes like mad. 3" lift, 33" tires only modification. gets me high into the Sierra Nevada's every fall for Blacktail deer and through the swampy bottoms of the California delta marshes for winter duck hunts. Weighs next to nothing, floating on the big super swamper tires and goes places most other trucks get stuck going through (and no, I'm not one of those Rubicon rock climbin nuts).When she finally starts to crumble I'll tear her down and spend 10 or 12 grand to completely restore her and get another 300k
Old 03-29-2004, 12:24 PM

My last jeep was a 88 cherokee and it had 246 thousand miles,ran it every day many hard fishing,hunting trips.Traded it last year for a 99 sport with 20 thousand miles and I have no doubt It will be around for along time! you cannot beat the 4.0 6 cyl. ( that is the reason they did away with it)
Old 03-29-2004, 04:19 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
ah my little piece of crap ranger

91 ranger with 95,000 miles

don't need to change the oil ever cause it burns and leaks enough so i just put a quart in every month or two

got in a minor traffic accident all i had to do was cut a chunk of my fender off

a few weeks ago a brake line broke that was fun driving home (from fishing at a small stream not too far from my house)

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.