Interesting News - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 11:28 PM

Interesting News

Hey Guys, I thought it was important to hear your views on the Department's news release that they rolled back the wild steelhead release rules to May 1 from April 1. I think that this was not a good decision for the fish and Forks. I am curious how many fish will not make it to their beds and if they will meet their escapement goals. I'am not sure how to react?

Tight Lines
Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Make it a double!

I find it to be very troubling. From what I have heard is those who keep wild fish out there have been bonking as many fish as possible before the moratorium takes affect. Now they have an extra month.

Kevin
Old 03-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Jolly Buddha

This is BAD!

This will back Fire on WDFW!

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 03-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
My concern with the pushback date is the Hoh. An elevated harvest has begun on the Hoh to get the killing in while they can.

According to the following chart compiled by the WSC's from WDFW data, the Hoh has failed to meet escapement roughly half the time over the past 10 years or so. If we were take away the sport harvest, the river would have made escapement each year it did not.

And it looks like the Hoh may not make escapement this year given the poor reports. I heard that for the first time, a small fish buyer (as in has a need for just a few fish) has turned to the Quinaults for fish as the Hoh tribes can not provide them (they are netting 3 days/week).

And on a side note, if the river needs to be closed due to a poor run size, then close it.

The following charts can be found here...Wild Steelhead Coaltion Escapement Charts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hohchart.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	3111  
Old 03-25-2004, 08:43 AM

With 499 anglers (counted) on the Hoh, Boggie, Sol Duc, and Calawah last weekend and 74 wild fish caught and kept, 111 released (again counted by WDFW) hopefully the keeper anglers have filled their freezers and are pretty much finished (wishful thinking?)

We were guiding the week and weekend before and I've never seen more pressure on the rivers. Not to mention those wonderful people that stepped in between (2 of them) 4 of our clients. Or the guy that dumped his borax at his parking place and rightly upset the landowner to the point that she threatened closing down the access point.

I think the pressure was just too much for WDFW and they bent, much to the dismay of the C&R folks. I wonder if letters to the department of the disgust we all share would be in order.

I remember a time when they closed the waters early on the Oly Pen ( to all anglers) a few years ago. Nothing changed their minds then.

Just my $.02
Rhonda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hohfog.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	3120  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.