Aussie needs info on flyfishing USA(CO), Canada(BC) or both. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Recent Member

Aussie needs info on flyfishing USA(CO), Canada(BC) or both.

Hi all,

Trying to find out information for my mum who is coming over to Denver and Vancouver in 2/3 months time. She is an intermediate flyfisherman for Brown Trout here in Australia and wants to know where and how to fish either of these two locations. I suggested she look for a guide as I'd prefer that she doesn't get eaten by a bear. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2004, 03:29 PM

If in Vancouver your mother must try the Skagit River.
It is a wonderful river and has great scenery.
Drive to the town of Hope (2 hours from Vancouver) and take the tour around to see the woodcarvings. Then take the Silver Skagit Road and drive to the park. All along the road are places where you can park the car and walk to the river. There is a flyshop in Hope but I don't know if they do any guiding.

But because I am from Holland I could be wrong to call it an excellent river to fish (especially for moderate flyfishers).
May be some of the Canadians on this board can provide you with more info.
You should read this:

http://www.bcadventure.com/ianforbes...t/skagit.phtml

Rob

PS: In september I will be fishing the Skagit again.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:21 PM

Hi Bob,
2-3 months from the date of your post puts Mom over here sometime in either April or May. That is too general, be more specific if you can and maybe folks can be of more help.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:11 PM
Recent Member

HI Rob & Pete,

Thanks for your replies. Sorry to be so vague with the trip details but mum keeps changing her plans. I now know for sure that she will be looking to fish BC (from Vancouver) in the week 12th June - 19th June.

I think you are onto a good idea Rob in that the trip needs to also be about the experience as well and the fishing. The Skagit sounds like a fantastic river. I really dont think she is after a trophy fish so this sounds like a good place. Also other attractions in the area are important such as the wood carvings you mentioned.

I guess the other things that she needs to know are places to visit, accom, (guides - if they are a good idea or are not really required). She is considering hiring a car in Vancouver and looking at Hope/Chilliwack.

If anyone has any good ideas and information I'd love to hear it.

Thanks Rob.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:39 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Stop in and say hello to our sponsors Scott and Aaron at Anglers West in downtown Vancouver. Or take a ride up to beautiful Whistler BC and visit Brian at Whistler Flyfishing.

These guys will provide the best advice and gear - I know them personally and they are the real deal. Scott is the president of the BC steelhead society, Brian runs schools, guide trips as well out of Whistler.

On the Washington side a visit to the Stilly would sure set the tone for a June trip to the area.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:43 AM

Bob,

I sent a PM.

Rob
Old 04-04-2004, 07:17 PM

Colo Fishing

Hi Bob

If your mon comes out to denver colo Have her look up
Pat Dorsey At the Blue Quill Angler. Orvis top guide 2 years in a row. I've fished with pat many of times. Here in Colo on the colo river and the south plate. If you need more info or want telephone # Let me no. See what I can do

Thanks Jim
Old 04-04-2004, 07:19 PM

Colo Fishing

Hi Bob

If your mom comes out to denver colo Have her look up
Pat Dorsey At the Blue Quill Angler. Orvis top guide 2 years in a row. I've fished with pat many of times. Here in Colo on the colo river and the south plate. If you need more info or want telephone # Let me no. See what I can do

Thanks Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.