Most useful all-around single-hander - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

View Poll Results: Which is the most useful rod weight?
6-wt. 11 26.19%
7-wt. 17 40.48%
8-wt. 13 30.95%
9-wt. 0 0%
10-wt. 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Marine Scientist

Most useful all-around single-hander

If you had to choose a rod weight that would be useful in a greater number of fishing situations than any other rod weight, which would it be? In other words, to fish for the majority of freshwater and in-shore gamefish species, which one rod weight would you choose for this purpose, and why?

My choice would be an 8-weight. I think that an 8-wt. gives the angler the greatest range of species to chase, from freshwater bass, pike, and trout to bones and mid-sized in-shore species (blues, stripers, weakfish, crevalle jacks, snapper, snook, reds, and small tarpon).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Fly chucker

I thought of the 8 weight before I even read your response. Although it would be a bit heavy for trout and panfish and a bit undergunned for larger coastal species, it seems to be the right compromise.

Chris, did you vote? I only saw my vote for the 8 weight in the poll.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Marine Scientist

Nope, I forgot to! Okay, now my vote's up there.

I know what you mean regarding panfish and trout, but I figured that for practically every other mid-sized species the 8 is the way to go.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfisha1

I know what you mean regarding panfish and trout, but I figured that for practically every other mid-sized species the 8 is the way to go.
Agreed.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:20 PM

I would have to say 7wt though my first thought was 8wt. There seems to be a big difference to me anyway between a 7 and an 8. A 7wt seems a lot closer to a 6wt than it does to an 8wt. With an 8wt one can cast a fairly decent sinktip if need be but I've yet found a 7 wt that will. But I can't imagine casting an 8wt to a Henery's Fork surface feeding trout with 6 or 7x tippet but I think one could get by with like a Winston BL5 7wt and make it work a bit. I could fish summer steelhead all day with a 7wt and I could fish bait chasing schoolies all day with the 7wt. If one got over his head in a mismatch and the fight is too long just break the fish off. All 8wts have a butt section on the rod but only a few 7wts as far as I know have one. For fish under 15 pounds I don't think you need one anyway. The more I think of it the more we need a 6.5 wt and a 7.5 wt rod. The key is a 7wt will fish a light tippet still handle a good fish about the same as an 8wt. The 8wt just won't fish delicate water or soft fish.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:32 PM

I'm with OC on this one, more so becasue of trout being in the mix. Anything above a 7 wt. will not handle some of the delicate presentations on trout. However, that "multi-Task" 7 wt. better be of a higher quality to handle the larger fish! A cheapo rod just would not give the versatility!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:56 PM

ever leave a tip on the truck roof!?

cheep 8 wt. then i could abuse it and get even for the money spent on high end 6 wt.s,carry it in the drifter when fishing non-fly folks to show em' whatsup,and keep it lined in the back of the suburban for the `drivebye shootings',plus being able to buy one accross from the local `hole' in case of breakage really makes it a done deal,pfleuger,,,?,uh,,,,well,,the green ones,,,guess i'd better shut up,,been two handing it and ,,uh,,well,,did i mention the ability to pick up 60-+ ft. of line in a boat,the availa,-
Old 03-23-2004, 06:29 AM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
Talking Best 1 hander...

...is any rod with a high enough resale value to get me another 2 hander!
Old 03-23-2004, 12:23 PM

All good answers.

If 'only one,' (specifically) the Sage 8100 xp. Over gunned for somethings, under gunned for others. But you can handle very large fish on an 8wt ... and still have fun with smaller summer runs if need be.

A 10' 8wt seems to be the major rod of choice with the best one-handers here on the Rogue for year round fishing.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:48 PM

I would of voted except you left off the 5wt. That is my summer go to rod I don't fish with anything bigger in the warm months.

Jim
Old 03-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Marine Scientist

You fish saltwater with a 5-wt?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:10 PM

Sage TCR six weight

hmmm...thankfully I don't have to make that choice, but I might go with a very fast 6wt. Fishing for trout with anything more isn't that much fun. Most bone fish and school stripers are easily landed on a 6wt and since it's really fast, you could always throw a seven on it if you needed to throw clousers or small poppers. Except for the bigger striper flys, and hair bugs, i think I could cast most flys on a six.
A "soft" seven like the BL-5(R.I.P.) is a good call too. I have a 9' #7LT (not as soft as the BL5) that is a sweet heart. I have caught brown trout up to 16#s on it, and it is one of my favorite warmwater rods. I love that rod.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:59 PM

I love a 7 wt rod. Has plenty of backbone for large flies and yet can still deliver a delicate fly. I have fished for trout that I call "Baby Heads" because their head is a large as a small baby on the Mighty Missouri in Montana. Once you see one of these trout you'll know what I'm talking about . I use the odd line weight line system for my rods. Ex. 5wt, 7wt, 9wt.
FishHawk
Old 03-23-2004, 08:33 PM

Nobody said this was strictly salt water. It started out fresh water and inshore fishing and my choice of rod for that is a 5wt. Salt water is another story and for that I use a 6wt in the summer. Also in the summer and it depends where I'm at I will use a 4 wt.

I only have a few rods as I don't feel the need to have one for every different type of fishing. So I will stick with what works for me.

Jim
Old 03-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Marine Scientist

Interesting; I would never dream of taking a 5-wt. to fish in-shore species, as the risk of hooking something and not being able to land it within a safe amount of time would be too great. Additionally, the size of flies able to cast any appreciable distance would be pretty small. Perhaps that's just a difference in the fisheries between our home waters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.