RI Fly Tying Symosium on April 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 08:18 PM

Post RI Fly Tying Symosium on April 3

Producers of the event United Fly tyers of RI are having the first Symposium at The Crowne Plaza Hotel in Warwick on April 3 9am to 4pm tickets $5. There will be flytying demos of tying flies for fresh and salt water Some seminars on fishing like for stripers and false albacore, sight fishing on the flats, classic streamer patterns, fishing the Deerfield, and Westfield Rivers, and much more. Many of the well known fly tyers, 32 tyers. I don't want to list them, but Bob Hines, Al Brewster, and Alan Caolo are among them. Just giving a heads up. This was in the Providence Journal, Tom Meade's Sunday Column.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 05:11 AM

Art - is there a website that lists all the events for the Symposium?

You going - I wouldn't mind meeting up with you for a drink - and I'm buying.

TL,

Dave
Old 03-22-2004, 08:31 AM

Dave, I think I will be going. There is going to be seminars, and information on all types of New England fishing from Atlantic Salmon to Stripers, and False Albacore. Quite a few New England tyers, and Fly Fishers, some good. Most I know, including my good friend Al Brewster who is one of the first, and still one of the best. I still don't think that many can hold a candle to our own Striblue. In such a short time he has come on to be one of the best around. I'd fish his flies anytime. Hope this posts my connection is too slow now a days, one of the reasons I don't post much anymore. I guess my buddy Captain Ray is too busy for fishing anymore, has other things.Ray time for Seekonk on a sunny afternoon with an incoming.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:49 PM

Everybody that is anybody in Flyfishing was at the show today. Some excellent show and tell. There had to be atleast 50 tying flies, both fresh and saltwater. I enjoyed talking to my many friends, atleast I think friends. Dave, I thought you was goingto buy me a drink? Where were you?
Old 04-03-2004, 09:26 PM

Art - I'll make good on that drink. I ended up having to go in to work today. Had some issue with a critical program we're working on, and it's behind schedule. Sorry I didn't make it - it sounds like it would have been a good trip.

When will you take your first cast along the Rhody shore?

TL,

Dave
Old 04-04-2004, 07:19 AM

Dave, I think this week, at least that is what I am planning.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:28 PM

It was a very informative and talented show, and well attended.
Real nice place. Felt like I was tying at the Waldorf.

There are many group (the likes of UFTRI and others like them)
who promote education and awareness of the sport. Their only agenda is to bring attention to the public the many tying disc
iplines, ideas, and advances in fly tying. They don't try to generate a profit off these events. In many cases it cost them funds. The spirit of volunteerism was evident by all in the organization.

Art..... Great to chat with you again. There were a lot of old faces who surely deserve the credit to enlighting others.
Your name gets mentioned quite frequently with Al Brewster.
The rest of the old guard have since vanished. Very few around now to carry the ball. That's why you're important to us.

It's almost time to wet a line. If the tides right, I'll give you a shout.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:16 PM

Ray, Not for myself, but truer words were never spoken. A great bunch of guys just trying to help others to enjoy the flyfishing sport. Like you say it wasn't done for a profit like you said. Enjoyed the chat with you, and look forward to many times together. I guess they are having a time for Al down in Hyannis I think April 19 th, I sure would lke to go. He means a lot to me. He was tying flies when everything was natural. Today with al the modern materials, their not flies they are lures. Plastics and synethetics rule today. Some of them baitfish imatations only lack the smell.

Last edited by artb; 04-04-2004 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.