Wollf Line - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 04:03 PM

Wollf Line

Anyone have anything to say (good or bad) about Wollf saltwater clear monoline (intermediate)??
Much appreciated,
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2004, 12:38 AM
CantAnchorUs

Not being much of a technician I can just say that I like it a lot. I have a 9 and a 10 Int. and a 9 and 10 fast sinker. Of the six lines I now use 4 are Wullf Triangle Tapers and for my money they are the tops.
Just one more comment, I and many other people I know bought Cortland 555`s based on prior offerings and to a man every single one agrees, they suck!
Steve
Old 03-20-2004, 05:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ron -

Count me in on the Wulff line fans, specifically the shorter head SW lines in higher weights.

They make longer standard length heads on their lines as well as a 30' "short" headed line for SW and bigger flies. The short (30') head has a compactness and well-behaved taper that does not whip over even when cast to the backing with a two-hander.

I have not spent much time with anything but their short-headed SW lines.

I have used the 11 and 12wt primarily on the two-hander and the 9 and 10 on the single hander. All performed admirably even in wind. With the power and distance available to two-handers, it's hard to find a well-behaved short head but Wulff has it.

No color change between head and running line on intermediate lines. This makes it harder to know when the head is ready to cast again during a strip retrieve.

Running line on 11 and 12wt is quite thick and does not shoot as well as a thinner one, but it feels meaty in the hands when fighting a fish.

The tropic lines are best used in mid-summer or down south as the running line can get quite stiff.

Wulff Cold water lines are no problem at all.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the input, I hope that I didn't purchase the wrong Wulff line for this area...I bought the salt water clear intermediate mono line. Looked at their website, nothing says "cold water" for any of the lines . The web site said that line was good for tarpon/bonefish and New England striper fishing.....but is that in August? Line code: SWTMC 9 I If I made a mistake, hopefully I can return it to dealer. Did I?
Thanks, Ron
Old 03-20-2004, 08:15 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You're good to go. I'd imagine this is the same composition they use for freshwater, which indicates coldwater materials.

I like the 30' heads because they load more directly than the extended head for saltwater, although there are times when a longer taper is nice for roll casting or longer distances with more line in the air.

The problem with most short headed lines is that the energy whips over too fast and you can't reach maximum distance. The Wulff lines seem to hold it together for even full line casts, turning over very nicely although I did end up cutting the tip of the line off to accomodate for 40# butt sections of leader to turn over bunker and herring flies on the Atlantis.

In other words to provide more energy transfer from the line to a fatter leader I cut back the front of the line. The results were very noticable in throwing mondo flies over 100'.

A similar minor modification might help you if you are having trouble turning the majority of your flies over with the 9wt, but the best thing to do is call Doug at Wulff directly.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:53 AM

As usual, thanks Juro.
Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.