Call to arms - protecting our access to a natural treasure - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2001, 09:33 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Call to arms - protecting our access to a natural treasure

Chatham Ma - One of the Chatham selectmen has decided that the parking area known as the 'causeway' should be for commercial clammers and local residents only. This area holds approximately 80 vehicles, and the current usage is:

- majority are recreational clammers, given instructions to clam here by the town when they purchase a permit
- next largest use is kayakers, most landings are already resident only
- third highest usage is people using "free" beach access accessible by parking here
- on a peak day the Monomoy Island Ferry has approx 20 cars on the causeway

I will avoid speculation but there seem to be ties between large Chatham commercial clamming operation, this selectman, a competitive shuttle service in the area, and the trouble being brought upon the Monomoy Island Ferry local family business?

In any case it's up to us to voice our concerns about preserving our access to Monomoy. Please write to Senator Kennedy, Congressman Delahunt, and the Chatham Board of Selectmen today.

Honorable Edward M. Kennedy, Senator,
2400 JFK Building, Boston Ma. 02203

Congressman William Delahunt,
146 Main Street, Hyannis Ma. 02601

Board of Selectmen, Town of Chatham,
549 Main Street, Chatham Ma. 02633.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2001, 10:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
A couple Chatham newbie questions:

The obvious (parking issue) aside.

Can someone review for me the 'greater' issues...no access to a national preserve for example. What are our most powerful arguments? Would it be in our best interest to respond independently or as a coordinated group? Or both?

Are there precedent cases on the Cape? Or elsewhere?

Perhaps someone has a sample letter.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:29 AM

Quote:
jborkowski (09-12-2001 11:02 a.m.):
A couple Chatham newbie questions:

The obvious (parking issue) aside.

Can someone review for me the 'greater' issues...no access to a national preserve for example. What are our most powerful arguments? Would it be in our best interest to respond independently or as a coordinated group? Or both?

Are there precedent cases on the Cape? Or elsewhere?

Perhaps someone has a sample letter.
Actually, access to the resource is not eliminated, access to the access is. In other words, you can still technically walk to the refuge from public parking downtown, probably 4 miles(?) and back again. But would you? You could also walk to the lower South Beach area from the lighthouse. Ever done it? You can not park at the refuge HQ and take the shuttle, so the access to North Monomoy and South Monomoy (special trips) is out if you park there. The point is, the causeway is the key to accessing Monomoy in a reasonable manner.

There is another dimension to all of this, having to do with cut-throat competitive tactics from other businesses in the area who would gain from this. If we allow this to succeed, we let down a family business that has been a very important part of our experience on Cape Cod and will end up supporting those who used backhanded tactics to shut them down if we are to experience Monomoy in the future! Can't let this happen.

Form letters are unconvincing. Multiple perspectives are always better. Precedents have run amok on the cape for decades. Time to act.
Old 09-12-2001, 11:02 AM
President of CAC

Juro... lets talk... I want to do what is necessary to defeat this.
Old 09-12-2001, 11:16 AM

Quote:
striblue (09-12-2001 12:02 p.m.):
Juro... lets talk... I want to do what is necessary to defeat this.
Yes mayor, thanks for your concern. Let's take action!
Old 09-12-2001, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
Quote:
juro (09-12-2001 11:29 a.m.):
Form letters are unconvincing. Multiple perspectives are always better.
Agreed.

Just thought I'd ask.
Old 09-12-2001, 01:56 PM
President of CAC

Juro.. the key will be to gain support from the businesses and any state or federal rights... but we would do better gathering the business support as oppose to the residents... unless all the residents felt like me.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:31 PM

Just talked to Ed during my lunch break. He feels that the best thing we can do is express our appreciation of this access and talk about our history of using the service that is available to us. More importantly what it would mean to lose it.

Quite simply put, to make our voices heard on this topic. If further action should be necessary, we can cross that bridge. For now their attorney seems to have things under control.

This is not to say that those who are gunning for Rip Ryder have calmed down, they have not. Cape businesses have had a history of such tactics. If you want more of the inside scoop, email me and I tell you what I know.

Best thing to do is take a moment to write a letter, and stay ready to support the cause as needed - or else we might have to give our money to those who are shutting the causeway down in order to get to Monomoy!
Old 09-14-2001, 10:01 AM

I'm writing today!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.