North Umpqua - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 01:38 PM

North Umpqua

Hey everyone. Anyone been fishing the NU lately. I was there about a month ago for a week, only had 3 fishable days, but now the water looks absolutely perfect considering it's March. I'm thinking about heading down there asap. Just wondering if anyone has done any good there in the past week or so. Take care.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004, 02:30 PM

better call the ol' b. herron
Old 03-18-2004, 09:37 AM

Talked to Joe this week and he said there are fish but they are kinda tough- flows are actually not all that low - they are getting pretty good snow melt. He was out a day or so ago and spotted fish. I keep saying I am going up there in the winter but rarely make it - maybe this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 AM

North Umpqua

I fished the N Umpqua Fri, 12th and Tues, 16th; conditions looked perfect; Fri about 4800 cfs at Winchester, clear 44 degrees; I had one good pull in upper Susan Cr, but didn't hook up. That was it for my partner & I for the day. On Tues, water lower 3600 cfs, otherwise similar. I landed a nice wild buck at Clay Cr in the afternoon, but that was the only hit for my partner & me. That fish was a summer fish, all dressed up & ready to go to the prom, although it hadn't spawned yet. We did see a few fish, but not all that many. Supposed to be 5000 over Winchester & fishing has been reported as fair to good in the bait section. Larry Levine, friend & guide who lives on the river says 3/4 of the fish he's caught this winter are summer fish. He thinks, for some unknown reason, they just haven't moved into the upper river yet. Certainly that was the way it appeared based on my recent 2 day sample. Having said that, it was so beautiful I didn't mind the lack of action as much as I might have under other circumstances.

Jay Beckstead
Old 03-18-2004, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the report Jay. A friend and I were down there for 4 days about 3 weeks ago and only had 1 tug, the water was only marginally fishable then. I post here if I go but it sounds as if the run might take a little longer to get into the fly water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.