To be 8 years old again ...just for one day. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2001, 12:24 AM

To be 8 years old again ...just for one day.

I had the luxury of taking my 8 year old on his first turtle hunt today. He has been asking me for this experience all summer and I had been putting it off until today. Damn it I'll cut the lawn tomorrow.

To give you some background I have taken all of my son's on the turtle hunt adventure. What we do is catch and release painted turtles that are sunning themselves. The kid rides in the front of the canoe and nets turtles to observe them and then let's them go. I used to do it as a boy and loved it so I figured I might as well pass the experinece down.

I passed up two chances on a boat to chase stripers and or pull up lobster traps "Hmmm lobsters". And it was worth every second.

I never noticed this before but sunning turtles are damn near impossible to spot with polaroid glasses on. Anyway after not seeing any for awhile I took off my glasses and there they were. He had a ball swiping at them with a net but didn't have much success.
"Gee Dad turtles aren't slow they are wicked quick". Yes Son, "they're quicker than you think". I finally broke the skunk by netting one that made the mistake of popping it's head back up through the lilly pads. My son was beaming. I snapped a picture of him with the turtle and I was eight all over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2001, 11:51 AM

Sean

Next time you go turtle hunting with your son, bring some acrylic paint and a small brush. Painting Happy Faces on their shells is cool. Much easier to see with polarized glasses too.
Old 08-26-2001, 09:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great adventure Sully - your sons will never forget those times and I'm sure they will take their little hockey players turtle hunting too! Geez that would make you a grandfather! No rush there, eh?

I was really glad my son got to witness a bluefish blitz of biblical proportions and land a nice blue which we all enjoyed at the cookout. Not quite as memorable as hunting turtles but I hope it helps him spend less time with video games and a little more time with the brand new breathable waders I got him... I hope we become the father and son fishing buddies someday.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:13 AM
President of CAC

Sean... a great time... it brings back my frog hunting days and those with my sons.
Old 08-27-2001, 01:46 PM

Way to go Sully!
I owe my son a largemouth in the canoe trip. Wednesday night should do it. It's his last night before school starts. Good job.

Lefty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.