cape cod canal - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2004, 07:05 PM

cape cod canal

How feasable is fishing the canal with a spey rod and what type of spey rod would be better suited for it thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Good question!

It's certainly not a panacea for the ditch but it has it's advantages.

From a casting perspective, the spey rod would be better than an overhand casting flyrod provided you could:

... stand by the water and not on top of a corp of engr slab to get the D-loop formed properly, Pip's Rip would be a great spot for instance but not the big rocks at the east end by the tower. You can't make a good spey cast unless you are at or in the water level with 1 to 1.5x the rod length to the casting side. Of course this could buy you 80-100ft casts, not too bad of a ratio compared to overhand.

... reach the fish for release. Two-handers on a beach are easy, but a 15ft rod makes it real hard to get your fish off the line while standing on a big slab of rock without a hired ghillie. Shorter two-handers are much, much better for this purpose, but considering it's not easy to land a fish with a standard 9'fter it's inevitably going to be harder with anything longer. If you have a place to beach the fish, piece of cake. If not go as short as possible or bring a friend.

... learn to Skagit cast. This type of spey casting uses a very forward positioned load and uses the water tension, therefore it's less important how and where you stand. It will however control the line design to an extent and the existing knowledge in this area is suited to steelhead and salmon rivers. It would not take long to adapt this to fishing the inner seams along the edge of the canal.

... stick to overhand, but take advantage of the distance and power. Another option is to limit your approach to areas where you have 50-60 feet of backcasting room, and launch shooting heads 130-150ft out there with a huge herring fly on a 600 grain head just to enjoy the easy casting advantage with bigger artillery. I would imagine that on the right night, this approach could make for an epic battle around the herring run. With a rod like the Atlantis 11/12wt two-hander, you might even land the beast too.

I would be more than happy to meet up with you and explore some of the coastal Skagit casting applications and Atlantis shooting head casting in the ditch for stripers. I can tell you that it will involve some research to get the types of lines striper guys like to use to launch using Skagit casts, but it would be well worth it. I am intrigued by the prospect and will commit to this experimentation. I also have access to a wide assortment of killer spey rods

Sign me up!
Old 03-09-2004, 08:13 AM

The outside points on Onset during a dropping tide and the mud flats would be 2 great spots.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Pencil me in.....

I know of a left bank spot that has potential. But sinking lines will leave a lot of flies on the lobster pots

Last edited by jfbasser; 03-09-2004 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.