? Stripers Forever ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Salmo Scout

? Stripers Forever ?

Hello All,

What's the take on the organization www.stripersforever.org?
Does anyone have any experience with the group?
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 03:28 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

I have alittle experience with them, Their principle members were at the SaltwaterEdge fly tying get together. I donated some money to the cause, they are dedicated to preserving the striper fishery. The more conservation groups like CCA, Stripersforever etc... that align to protect stripers the better as far as I'm concerned.

Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've also joined, although more on faith than expectations of making the striper a gamefish. I should say more on desire as a sportsman than a clear objective.

My belief is that we need a regional - not state by state regulation system because the fish do not know the same boundaries we plot on our roadmaps as they migrate up and down the coast. The health of the species is not measurable in each state's perspective because they are not resident fish. I'd like to see a group pushing for multi-state aligned regulations driven by thinking along the entire atlantic region.

I also believe that if the numbers on incidental recreational mortality are correct then there is a problem for anglers to solve; in order to save fish we need to enact laws to require circle hooks for bait, limit the number of hooks on umbrella rigs, and educate anglers on release methods (per the recent lip thread, previously established handling posters, etc).

Sure I'd like to see stripers become a gamefish in MA. But I'm not sure exactly what it will solve. Mortality? From what I gather that is more of a recreational problem. Regulation? Coastal alignment is key.

Maybe someone could enlighten me, I'd welcome the explanations.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:01 PM

it seems that SFE targets comercial fishing while ignoring the impact of the recreational fisherman. I can't see such a one sided agenda (right or wrong) getting much support from legislators.
I would love to see a group take on and reform our insane management strategy, but you got to give to take.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:17 AM

Hi eddie,

I've brought those same concerns up with the leadership of SF (Brad Burns) because I also feel strongly that the recreational side of things needs to be cleaned up. Their strategy is to go full out for gamefish and not be distracted by side issues until gamefish is achieved. After that they have pledged to go after tighter regulations on the recreational side. I don't necessarily agree with that strategy but I do plan on holding them to it.

SF has several thousand members coastwide with over 1,000 members each in NJ and Mass. I would recommend joining, it's free, there are no banquets and constant fund raising, just lots of letter writing to your elected officials pushing the idea of gamefish for striped bass.

I think right now they are the best game in town for achieving a quality striped bass fishery.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:43 AM

thanks Tom, I am/was? a member. I should check my status.
You might be right about them being the best bet.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Salmo Scout

Focused Objective

Thanks for the comments all. I think the goal of regulating the species in MA is great, just not sure I've heard a credible plan yet, but I am hopeful ........or naive. A regional focus certainly would make sense - when I was growing all we caught were bluefish as there few stripers caught from the shore. We have recovered from that but I'm not certain we could do it again.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:20 PM

I joined.

Any effort to preserve the fishery gets a thumbs up in my book. Agree with others regarding more need to educate fishermen about mortality rates, catch and release, etc. Would like to see their stance on reducing recreational limits/adopting slot limits, etc.

And they NEED to get the pictures of day-old dead fish taken on someone's lawn off their website!:eyecrazy:
Old 03-16-2004, 04:26 PM

Send them an email about the pics, maybe something will be done. I'm not a huge fan of them either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.