Can't we all just get along - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Recent Member

Can't we all just get along

Greetings, I'm a recently retired Coastie and new to the board. I cut my fly fishing teeth so to speak trout fishing in Idaho. Since then I've been everwhere it seems but my most memoable fishing forays were spent in Kodiak after Reds on the Passagshack and Steehead in Ketchikan. I only recently (past two years) been fishing the waters in the greater Puget sound. I fly fish and gear fish, I like the flexibility. But I am a bit confused because it seems like there is a detectable rift between the fly guys and the gear guys. It seems like with everything thats going on with regards to the new rules in Washington that these groups should come to some agreement. Maybe compromise?
p.s.
the user name is supposed to read "woolyworm"
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2004, 08:45 PM

I fly fish and i gear fish.. I do nor mix the two.. I don't drift fish with a fly rod ( split shot, slinkies) and I don't bobber and jig fish with a fly rod ( weighted fly and indicator)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Recent Member

Howdy roballen2,

I really miss those reds taking me for a ride all the way back down river to the salt on thePassagshack, not to mention nearly getting spooled in the process. I have to be honest and admit I havent put fly to water since I've been down here. It's been all gear from float and jig to casting bent metal to pink worms. I reckon I'll need to build my self a new fly rod. What do think of Rain Shadow?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Pullin' Thread

Idaho kid,

I've spent many enjoyable days steelhead, silver, and chum fishing with a 2-hand fly rod while sharing runs with folks fishing gear or spinners who C&R their fish just like I did. I've never really cared whether someone fishes fly, gear, or spinner. I do care about limiting wild steelhead harvest, and I would like to see a bait ban and a single, barbless hook requirement to have the lowest hooking mortality.

It seems that many gear fishers think that only fly guys want C&R on wild steelhead, which is where the "rift" comes from. I know several gear guys who also want C&R on wild steelhead and a bait ban.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:40 PM

I have talked to more gear guys on the river who release wild fish than who bonk them.

Rich
Old 03-09-2004, 10:53 AM

Fishing is fishing as long as your heart is in the right place.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:11 AM

here's a hammer to chew on;in my drifter,i'll pull plugs,then park flyfish,if the chinook are stacked in a section i'll throw bait,all from the same boat,,wow,terrible huh,,,not for me,,,it's a study of one river,and to be honest,my feeling are;one aspect of the sport,,can,and will reflect on the other's,like,certain plugs that represent baitfish,when you're seeing fry rolling all over,will outfish crawdad looking ones,,getting the picture;streamer time!,,if you get a chance to get to so. ore.,let me know,you're fine with me,just keep er' wet honey!,and keep smiling
Old 03-09-2004, 11:38 AM

Gear fisherman don't bother me at all just be legal and don't kill your limit every day you can. I get along just fine with them actually its other fly fishers that tend to get me upset at times.

Int
Old 03-10-2004, 05:35 PM

IK

Go into User CP then edit your profile to change your user name.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 03-10-2004, 06:57 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
welcome aboard

I fish fly and gear. Like some others, pull plugs, toss gear, and swing flies. I go by my mood, and river conditions.

So no beefs with me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.