Fly-Fishing for what? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2001, 09:02 PM

Fly-Fishing for what?

What was the strangest thing you ever caught on a fly rod?
I caught a snail while nymph fishing for trout, the barbless hook snagged the shell of the tiny mollusk.
It was not a state record so I quickly released it. :-D

Post your "non-target trophies" for all to enjoy...
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2001, 09:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
bats

lots-o-bats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2001, 12:10 AM

A Seagull on the NC Outer Banks while fishing for Bluefish in the surf at Buxton. Blues breaking the surface everywhere, baitfish doing the panic two-step, birds going berserk diving into the surf all around me; he took it "on the fly" (so to speak) just before it hit the water...not a fun time for him or me! C&R'd him after a 10-minute battle he nearly won.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:00 AM

I caught a fresh water clam once, size 10 beadhead ptail nymph - it was a really strange day overall.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:36 PM

Wood Pigeon whilst spey casting on the Deveron. It got caught in the loop and landed in the water beside me. I could not understand why the line had stalled on the power stroke and where all the splashing was coming from.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 08-21-2001, 11:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My son caught a cormorant on a 5 weight. Actually, I was teaching him to use the fly rod for bream and the cormorant ate the fish. I had wandered down the shore and was surprised to look back and see him wrestling something really big, and suddenly the big bird pops out of the water with it's wings flared out like a large bat! I ran over and cut the tippet while he held the leader taught. Some nearby bird watchers came over to reprimand me on my action but in fact the backward facing spines of the fish would have killed the bird if I had tried to extract the tiny dry fly from the fish's mouth by pulling it out of the bird's throat. I knew I did the right thing in leaving the fly and a tippet in the bird's meal, the whole thing took but one second and the bird could be seen continuing it's fishing in the pond moments after.

My personal best, although not landed, was a very large gray seal perhaps 300 pounds on a sand eel pattern in a shallow ocean flat. The seal cruised in, followed the fly, decided it was real and CHOMP! After an unbelievable run I clamped down on the spool and the tippet popped. The seal then came up to see what the heck had happened with the same dumb look my dog gives me after I send it to the corner for misbehaving.
Old 08-21-2001, 04:54 PM

When it's hot here in Southern Oregon you'll get lots of rafters floating the upper Rogue on the weekend. I'm pretty much a 100% spey guy so I'm casting, I'm not paying attention and I'm hooked into some poor guys Tahiti.

A number 6 hook leaves a pretty good hole when it pulls out......... you can guess the rest. Not sure exactly what happened next as I 'slunk' away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.