No. WY in early April? - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2004, 10:24 AM

No. WY in early April?

Anyone got any tips/spots/techniques they want to share for fishing in Northern Wyoming in Early April?

I have a feeling the skiing might be better than the fishing...
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2004, 10:47 AM

Early April is pre runoff, so you should be able to get some fishing in. AS far as where I don't have a clue.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Pullin' Thread

By northern Wyoming I assume you mean the area from Sheridan over to Cody. There is wonderful fishing in April in all of the northern Rockies. Runoff doesn't start until after mid-May, so the rivers are fairly low and very clear with very fine midge, Blue Winged Olive, Westen March Brown, Skwala Stoneflies (usually dark olive in color in the Rockies, use an olive Stimulator in #12 for them), and little black or brown caddis hatch in large numbers during this time.

Any of the low-land rivers and stream (elevation under 6,000 feet) are excellent during April. If it were me, I'd concentrate on the rivers out of Cody because there are three larger rivers with excellent trout populations located in and near Cody. You have the Bighorn, Wind River, Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone, and the river that flows right through Cody itself (sorry I forgot its name even though I've fished it when I lived in Billings, MT.

An added bonus for fishing in April is there are very few others out on the streams because most visiting anglers think the northern Rockies are still locked in winter in April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2004, 03:01 PM

Dewey could you check your Private Messages.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:17 PM

John - I have replied. and thank you.

Flytyer - thanks for the head's up. I've been out there before, and I have a few spots I really like. I think i'll have to stick to bigger water though, rather than the high streams I usually hit in summer.

should be able to put the bugger swap flies throught their paces. I'll also rig up some midges and small versions of "the standards".

The wildlife should be very active then, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.