Handheld GPS suggestions - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2004, 07:44 PM
BB5 Survivor

Handheld GPS suggestions

Looking for suggestions for a handheld GPS -- part back-up for the one in the boat, part for midnight treks in search of stripers, and possible nav usage in the car from time-to-time.

Thanks to all in advance.

-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Dear Santy Claus...

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76cs/

If I had the $ I would go with this based on the super performance I've enjoyed with other Garmin products.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:14 PM

Just bought the new Garmin GPSMap 60c. It is a wonderful little instrument. I bot it as back-up for my Garmin 182c that is hardwired on my flats boat in Fl. The color screen on the 60 c is more visable in strong sunlight. By the way polarized glasses make the 182c visability less than ideal - remove the glasses and you can see better. But the 60c can also do auto routing - unlike the MAP 76 that just tells you where you are. You will go for about $650 after paying $385 at GPS City and buy City Select and Blue charts with 2 areas. I've been playing with it and great to use on the roads as well as water. Gives you two audible prompts (Musical tones) to warn you a turn is coming-up and then when to turn.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Recent Member

GPS

I have had the lowrance i-finder for two years now.. I use it at the beach to find the holes and points at night. Also great trying to find places on maps that I download. check them out...
N.J.B.B.A #2215
sandflyx/bob
Old 03-08-2004, 08:35 PM

Talking A bit of a dumb question ... so what's new?

Received a GPS for Christ's Mass past, and a total hoot to watch as Joan and I are tootiling around in the new RV. But if you're mainly tooting around on freeways/city streets how have you used the equipment to an advantage?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Recent Member

I have used mine to find resturants, service stations, also can find points of interest. (historical places, state parks, etc.) I can keep track of my trip by using the trail option.
N.J.B.B.A #2215
sandflyx/bob
Old 03-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Bauer Pauer

I have a Garmin GPS Map 76. It's a great little unit. I use it as my primary for the boat but is great for just about anything. I also purchased Blue Charts from Mapsource and loaded that into it. The beauty of Blue Charts is you can create routes and look at structure that you want to fish and then download them into your GPS. Right now you can get the unit for around $300. Give it a look.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:17 AM

Garmin is a great product with one major flaw. Too many models which after a couple of years get discontinued. So if you wait a bit the price drops and you can get a good. I have mentioned this to Garmin and they told me that they want to give their customers all the features they can in one model. Sort of like GM. too many similar models. I am looking at the Map 76. Nice piece of gear.
FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.