Favorite Pike tapered fly lines? - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2004, 11:02 PM

Favorite Pike tapered fly lines?

Well, now that we've hit on favorite fly rods, and leaders, for pike, what is your favorite fly line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2004, 08:00 AM
Fly chucker

I'm not particular to any specific brand because I've used several and liked most of them. For me, it has to be a weight forward taper to help turn over the large and sometimes wind resistant flies. IMO shooting head systems are overkill, although I've seen a few used for this type of fishing. There is at least one pike specific fly line out there (perhaps SA) with a short and heavy front taper, but I've had no problems with conventional weight forward lines.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:24 AM

Mark, I think you're right and everybody is jumping on the specialty fly line wagon. I noticed even RIO has a Pike/Musky taper this year along with SA/Mastery. I was once told that Cortland 333 makes for a fine pike taper as it was originally designed with the beginning caster in mind and hence is really loaded up front.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:24 AM

I use the Cortland pike taper. One advantage of the short bellied pike lines, you can usually go up one weight and get the benefits of the greater turnover on a lighter rod.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:50 AM

A good slick shooting WF has worked for me for the past 10 years. I seldom need a cast beyond 60 feet, unless I am targeting a specific hole in the weeds. I find the lines recently developped are catching more of us than pike! I often buy "sale" item lines, like discontinued lines (usually the packaging changed Vs. the line itself). At $35. a pop, I can afford to change lines every year.
CAVEAT!
He who does not clean and dress the line regularly will not have a slick shooting line. More so when fishing stillwaters!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:08 PM

Forgot to mention, I also use the SA Headstart line - a pike taper by any other name at just over half the cost.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Pullin' Thread

When I lived in Montana and fished for pike in the Flathead Valley, I used a ST9F that I cut 3 feet off from the front end of to promote turnover of the big flies. It was much easier to cast 70+ ft with it than a full-length line and I could keep a fly moving through the "zone" for a longer period of time with the long casts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.