Cabelas 11' 6 wt 1-hand spey rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2004, 05:47 AM

Cabelas 11' 6 wt 1-hand spey rod

I notice this is a popuar rod for Great Lakes steelheading, and I'm thinking of getting one for high-sticking and sinktips, but I'm worried the tip might be too soft to detect takes. Any information about the rod and its' suitability for nymphing would be most welcome. Should I get it or is there another rod I shoiuld look at first?
What rods should I be looking at for rivers souch as the Salmon in NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2004, 06:32 AM

Got one...

and I LOVE it! Here, the streams are too small for a longer rod. It works well for indicator nymphing, as well as high-sticking. I've caught fish up to 12 pounds or so to date on it without problems.

One thing - it works equally well at both one-hand and two hand casting. I'm still experimenting to find the "right" line for it.

If I had to do it again, I would consider the Bob Meiser 10 1/2 foot "switch" rod in a 7-wt. for the occasional whopper. Bob's rods also have a removeable butt section so you can easily "convert" from one to two handed use... and they are an excellent rod, extremely well made. (Next time I have some extra bucks in my pocket, I will!) They are specifically designed for Rio's Windcutter lines.

Make sure you have a reel heavy enough to balance the rod, otherwise it will be tiring to use!!!

BobK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.