Fly Fishing Forum banner

An Idea: Forks Fish-In

5K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I was thinking the other day about just how cool it would be to fish the Lower Hoh and/or Duc on April 1 just as symbolic sort of thing.

But then I began thinking a little more and an idea crossed my mind.

It seems that from the quotes I have read and talking to those that have talked to some of the powers that be out in Forks, that there are actually many who not necassarily adimantely opposed to WSR. There are many however, that are very anxious and worried about what will happen to their economy.

So how about this?

Those of us that support Wild Steelhead Release make a show of force the first weekend in April. There are thousands of us and I am sure enough of us could get together to fill the motel rooms, clog the dinners and eateries, create lines at the gas stations and book every guide in town.

The idea is to show those who are opposed to WSR and/or worried about what will happen to the town of Forks, that Wild Steelhead Release is good for Forks.

If a few hundred fishermen show up one weekend and tell the motel owners, the waitresses, the gas station clerks, the checkers at the Thriftway etc. etc. that "I am hear because of Wild Steelhead Release and I will return because of Wild Steelhead Release.", that maybe we can make a differance and change some minds.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#6 ·
Leland-
Please post this over on the WFF Board. I am not well like by many over there! :hehe:

I am getting a good response here and on Bob's as well BUT we need bodies. To really make a differance we need to light up the no-vacancy signs, pack the eateries etc.

So either the weekend of April 3rd or the 10th is the question.

#17 ·
Something to think about.....

Obviously the "town of forks" is opposed to the wild release ban because they see it as hurting their bottom line...

Maybe when one of us goes to Forks and spends money there we should tell the waitress, cashier ect.. that we are there spending money because it's a great place to catch and release wild steelhead...

Killing wild steelhead is ofcourse obnoxious and selfish but with the non- fishing public we might catch more flies with honey than viniger..

So go to the drve in and make a point of saying.. " i am in town to catch and release wild steelhead, were it not for the wild steelhead I wouldn't be here..

just a thought.....

#18 ·
forks

fishin in support pf WSR sounds like a great idea.unfortunately dollars are what rules. in hunting the best game populations exist where hunting dollars support the animals.too often the fishing sportsman of washington state have been a divided group up against the unified commercial interests. we all talk about how much more $ a sportsmans fish generates. time to demonstrate that that is indeed the case and that a fish not killed and allowed to spawn can even generate more revenue than a killed fish.I would be there for sure if not severely hobbled with a badly broken leg!!!!someone please go for me!!Beau

#19 ·
Good Points

Just a few thoughts. I really like marking "our" money with some sort of "C&R Wild Steelhead" stamp. Maybe just the $20 and $10 - marking each $1 might seem cheap. :hehe:

I also think we need to go over with a good attitude - as Rob said, there's little to be gained from a hostile invasion and we don't really want to alienate the Forks faithful. We want to make a point that we're there because of the wild steelhead and we're just as happy that it's C&R as that will lead to more fish in the rivers for us all to catch.

Lets do a poll as to which date works the best for people. Get a couple people to do the organization, find out who can bring floating devices, etc.

Lets Do It!:D

#20 ·
I support everyone going to Forks and spreading spending around with the "we came to CnR" message. Someone suggested a spey clave and I think that would draw a good number of people but might further reinforce the "fly guys are the enemy" mentality.

As for a Fish-In, I might be willing to go drink with you all but the idea of a huge group fishing weekend isn't my cup of tea.

#21 ·
Yeah with the interest this is generating I do not think fishing is going to happen. I will most likely just show up for support.

Maybe we should not fish. A large group of people descending on the river may put off folks who are actually there on a planned fishing trip. Just a thought.

-sean

#23 ·
- A spey clave is not fishing, Nolan's can't get any worse anyway, no one would even notice ;) (seriously there are many places where such a get together would not bother anyone, Oxbow for instance although it's right bank.

- What about two-handing the BEACH? I heard rockfish are awesome fighters :devil:

#24 ·
Clave? Clave? What Clave?

I had in mind a bunch of guys going fishing over on the OP with a few beers and dinner later that evening trading stories followed by breakfast the next morning. Like we do in real life.

I don't think a clave, demo, parade or march through town carrying signs is what's needed.

Leland.

#25 ·
Sinktip,

There are many places I could take you to fish that only require a bit of bushwacking (really more of a nice walk) to get to the runs, including the run that was Glasso's favorite for spring fish. I used to call a day where I saw more than 4 or 5 boats or another fisher on foot a crowded day when I lived in Port Angeles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.