Penn. trout fishin' - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2004, 06:57 AM
believer in the 10 oz.

Penn. trout fishin'

Managed to fish the Little Lehigh in north eastern Pennsylvania on Sunday. Weather was great and as expected so were the crowds. It was pretty amazing....the crowds reminded me of the Salmon River when the kings are runnin'. Despite the fact that every flyfisher within a fifty mile radius was on the stream that day I still managed to find a few relatively unmolested fish. After a little walking I found a couple of risers that seemed to be in a forgiving enough mood to excuse my rusty casting and proceeded to work on them. I eventually found the right combination of fly and drift and nailed them on a #18 blue quill. Although the fishing was not spectacular it still was a nice break from traditional February fishing. One of the fish turned out to be an acrobatic sixteen inch rainbow that appearred to be a holdover of a few seasons. The other two fish were more than likely wild browns in the 10-12 inch range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2004, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the Report.

How far is the Lehigh from Boston?

Can't wait to get down to PA for some spring creek action soon. Drop me a line so we can work out the details.

Dave
Old 03-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Pullin' Thread

I grew up north of Allentown and have a brother living in Kutztown who fishes this creek often. Glad you had a good time on the Little Lehigh, it is beautiful little stream. Don't know if the lower Pohopoco is opened at this time of year or not; but, if it is, it would be worth the short 30 minute drive up to Lehigton to fish it because it is bigger water and there will be far fewer fishermen. Yellow Breeches is also not that far away and it would be worth the 45 min. to an hour drive over to it as well.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:29 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

I am much more familiar with the south central streams around Carlisle then those around Allentown. As for the "Breeches" I try to avoid that stream like the plague especially the special regulation area due to the high concentration of anglers. I have a few choice spots outside the special reg. area that seldom get pressured but access can prove to be a problem. The great thing about PA is that there are some truly outstanding waters that are both well known and many more that are not. I generally concentrate mostly on the spring creeks but frequent the many freestone waters as well.

I had the pleasure of introducing Big Dave to Spring Creek(State College area) last year and I think Dave will attest to the productivity of Pennsylvania's trout waters! This year I am going to drag him away from Spring Creek for a little while and show him some of my other favorite spots in the region.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Marine Scientist

I'll be fishing in that region three weekends from now; French Creek. Hopefully the fish will be cooperative!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:23 AM

Quote:
This year I am going to drag him away from Spring Creek for a little while and show him some of my other favorite spots in the region.
My sulphurs, scuds and walts worms are tied and ready to go...bring it on! (I do want to see the Breeches first hand this year however).

Drop me a line Steve. I'm thinking 2 trips might be in order for me this year.

Dave
Old 03-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Pullin' Thread

I know what you mean about the special regs section of the Breeches. I used to avoid it too when I lived in PA (I left and moved to Montana in 1979 and now live in WA State). I grew up in northern Schuylkill County and had several very nice, little fished and little known spring creeks within 20 to 30 minutes of home.

Since you said you are familiar with the south-central streams, I'm sure you have fished many of the fine waters in the Penn Dutch Country (which I will not name since they don't have the crowds yet). My father and brother tell me that the Schuylkill at and above Orwigsburg and Ringtown has turned into a quality fishery since I left; when I was still living there, the Schuylkill was still very much poluted with acid mine water and was a barren, sterile stream.

I know the State College area waters well. I used to fish Spring Creek in the project and outside of it a lot when I was attending Penn State for a BS degree because is was only a short bike ride. Penn's Creek was also a favorite. The many fine freestone streams and rivers in the Poconos and those above Williamsport and Berwick were also favorites.

Big Dave,

Spring Creek is only a so-so trout water when compared to many in PA. It is a beautiful stream; but there are many better ones, and many of the others are not well-known outside of there immediate local area. Get him to take you to the Juniata and Penn's Creek, or up to the Loyalsock, Lackawana or Lackawaxon. You should also fish the big Susquahanna for its superb smallmouth fishing. And make sure he takes you to some of the lessor known spring creeks in the Penn Dutch country.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:10 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

I am sure that I have fished some of the streams that you are referring to. One of the main problems that I have found with a number of these streams is the often times large population of cattle that inhabit the banks. Not only do they increase the turbidity(This is not always a bad situation.) of the stream but they really beat down the banks and create long stretches of unproductive water. However if you can find a stretch with some depth and overhead cover the fish really do seem to "stack" up and in turn provide some fast action. This past year I concentrated on the area west of Carlisle and found some really nice waters with few other fisherman.

I tried to get Dave to the Little Juniata last year, unfortunately high water prevented us from fishing it. I have been trying to get to the Lackawanna the last few years but every time I head north some other water seems to beckon.

Chris,

I have fished French Creek one time and it is a nice stocked stream; pretty area, good head of fish(at least into mid-June), and a close proximity to Philly. However there are a number of streams that I consider to be better and are located within a reasonable drive from French Creek.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Marine Scientist

Do tell, by PM if you'd like to share these locations covertly ; if not, I understand. I'll be fishing French Creek with my fiancee's uncle, who grew up outside of Pitt and has been fishing the Eastern half of PA most of his life. This will be my first foray into PA and I'm pretty excited to go.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Pullin' Thread

Since you live in New York City, why don't you fish the eastern Poconos waters? There are some wonderful streams there and they are only 1 1/2 to 2 hours out of the city via I-80. And as a bonus, most of them do not get a lot of fisherman after the first few weeks of the season. The Lackawanna and Lackawaxon are much closer than those just east of Philly.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Marine Scientist

Those places are on my list for the season. I'm sure as time goes by the list will get longer and longer. I'm also interested in fishing Lake Hoppatcong, as well, though I have no idea what to expect.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:34 AM

I'm game for anything!

...except Falling Springs (the hard and unrelenting taskmaster)

Any fish that will spook while you're still 30 feet off the bank, on your hands and knees ain't worth it!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Marine Scientist

I suppose that at some point those of us in the region should set up a trout expedition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.