Regional license? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Marine Scientist

Regional license?

Now that I'm back in the Northeast, I'm planning on fishing in several states this season (NY, PA, MA, CT, ME). Rather than budget myself a ton of cash for licenses, I wondered if there's such a thing as a regional license that covers several states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Flats Rat

I wish!
Old 02-28-2004, 04:36 PM

Chris, It makes too much sense for it to ever happen. I would not hesitate to purchase one.
If you know ahead of time which state you will be in you can usually get one ahead of time. I know that CT can be bought via mail, and I beleive that ME, NH and possibly VT can be bought online. MA , PA & RI iI'm not sure about.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
It'll never happen.

Can you see a group of regional state governments agreeing on how to divide the revenues from such a license? They can't even agree on how to tax internet commerce (and lucky for us!).
Old 02-29-2004, 07:28 AM

Probably the best option....

is to get a short-term nonresident license. Most states have them for several days or a week, and at a substantially lower rate.

If I remember right, NY has two options for theirs, but I don't remember the number of days. Do a web search for "nysdec" for the website - you will probably find it for NY.

BobK
Old 02-29-2004, 11:59 AM
JD

regional license

Many years ago, I thought we should be able to get a National license. It'll never happen though. The states would lose too much money. Not only that, they (states) would be totally dependant on the federal government for everything related to the fish. Something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

And we all have a pretty good handle on government logic. Based on population, Calif & N.Y. would get the lion's share of the money. Montana, Idaho? How many registered voters live in those states?

No thanks. Forget it.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Fluff

Doesn't exist. Hell, any two states can't even agree to size, bag or status limits for stripers, so why bother with a license?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Marine Scientist

I think that it's about time the state and federal officials get their heads out of their @$$es and start doing things sensibly and in conjunction with each other, rather than all of the showboating. Sorry, it just seems that something like a regional license shouldn't be so difficult to come by. I understand the implications and considerations, but geez, it's not like the problems between fisheries management in the regions couldn't be resolved if people put their egos aside and really came up with some plans. Maybe it's not realistic, and if that's so, it's just a shame.

Last edited by flyfisha1; 03-01-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:49 PM
JD

It IS a shame

But,,,,you have to realize that they (polititions) have better things to do....Like legalize gay marriages,,give themselves raises,,better retirement packages,,etc,etc. Besides,,,most of them were all lawyers before they became public servants. And we all know what lawyers and catfish have in common. :hehe:

Last edited by JDJones; 03-01-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:53 PM

Well,

everyone posts are still complaining! Realize one thing:

The only option is a short-duration license. They are VERY reasonable.

While you guys are complaining and acting like cheap deadbeats, exactly how much did your last rod and reel cost? Or your room last night, or your bar tab after supper, or gas to go on the trip?

Better realize one thing - without a place to fish, it's pretty hard to go fishing!

BobK
Old 03-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Marine Scientist

Don't think that I don't give consideration to those things; I do. In my naivety I simply assumed that such a regional license would exist. Rather than drop money on a license every time I want to go fishing in a surrounding state (which is something I can do every week if I want to, since I travel throughout the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic states) I simply wanted to stop and wet a line in a likely-looking spot whenever I had the chance. Heck, the reason I spend so much on tackle is so I can use it everywhere I might be when the urge to fish strikes me. If I want to do this, I have to purchase seasonal non-resident licenses for each state. All I'm saying is that I would have liked to have one license that took care of all the states in a given region. You can say that it's not feasible or unrealistic, fine. I think that there's no good reason why something like that couldn't be done if all of the bureaucracy was set aside.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:00 AM
FFF CCI

Here's my thoughts on a fair plan for a regional license for New England:

Pay full price for your home state and 50% of the full season rate for the other New England states.

This would make it easy to determine what each state gets while giving each non-home state more revenue than the usual 1, 3, or 5 day license fee.

Many states would probably even get money they would never see because many of us may not fish in a few of the states.

Seems like a simple, workable plan - a "no brainer".

Any thoughts on this idea?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Marine Scientist

I'm in favor of anything that will make this idea a reality!
Old 03-06-2004, 08:12 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
like john said it makes too much sence for it to happen but i wish it would i fish the northeast alot in the summer

the wjole country should do it by region i believ north east southeast midwest plians states and pacific

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.