Spring Clave 2004 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Post Spring Clave 2004

Remember the spring clave of 2001? What a blast and plenty of fish too.

We did it here:

http://anchorageoncove.com/lodge.htm

I would like to do it again in 2004, to coordinate with Sean's visit from Seattle to the Cape for a wedding in mid-May. Either weekend would work, he's here from the 8th to the 16th.

Other options include:

- Camping at Nickerson
- Local hotels with low off-season rates
- Shared cottage rental

Additional ideas are welcome.

I will throw in a two-handed "hands on" session with plenty of Atlantis rods to go around for one of the days.

I'm sure we can get other events going as well from our friends who are shop owners and guides in the area.

Tying stations are a must.

But the best part is the shenanigans with the gang and of course the return of the long awaited fishing!

I need volunteers to participate in the planning committee! Let's make it the best spring clave ever... it's sure been a nasty winter, we deserve it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2004, 04:00 PM

If there is a boat ramp nearby...and someone( or two) sorta kinda knows the area, I may consider joining in and offering up a seat or two for a boat trip for one day.
I'll try to keep an eye on this thread.
Doug B.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:14 PM

I'm leaning towards the 2nd weekend if it makes for better fishing. Didn't make that Spring clave at the anchorage but it looked like a good time.

Houses right on the water! What's the cost on that? The camping wouldn't be bad either if the weather is good.

Is it a boat or shore thing?

I should be able to handle the signup sheet if we need one.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Good time

Juro,

Spring Clave 2001 was a great time. You just cannot beat the location at the Anchorage. There was something so sweet about the ample schoolies right behind the Anchorage in 2001. I know that some guys had almost 20 schoolies to hand on the first night of that Clave.

I would be more than willing to help out with the logistics of the Clave.

Looking forward to Spring!

-Mike
Old 02-29-2004, 05:33 PM
resigned

I like to help out. Please let me know where help is needed and I'll plan to be there.

Phil
Old 02-29-2004, 08:46 PM

Spring Clave. '04

I would like very much to attend my first clave and meet some of the fishermen that post all the interesting imformation on the forum. The Anchorage seems like a nice place to work out of. Will this be a 2, 3, or more day adventure?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:15 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Anchorage did not have the ability to put up more than a dozen participants, so I think we should consider other options.

Can we get a show of hands - people who would be looking for lodging on Friday, Saturday nights in mid-May when we do this clave?

We could do either weekend. The second would be better fishing most likely as Jim pointed out - Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the latter weekend for increased presence of fish, although Sean is leaving on Sunday and I have a family event in Boston. I would have been at the Sandy River Clave in Portland OR but I wouldn't dream of missing my daughter's graduation ceremony and must be in town that weekend.

Does anyone want to co-meister this event? I will co-meister since I instigated.

JimW - it should be a no-holds barred boat and shore event, I will gladly provide what I can for spring shore hotspots for anyone interested and it's a given that boaters will rule the seas especially the sound side, Pleasant Bay and the Barnstable to Brewster areas in the vicinity of herring runs, etc. I think we can spread out and save the crowding for dinners, barbeques, and brewski times - like the way we do the Boneclaves.

We could consider a group site at Nickerson, or an off-season hotel group discount which I think I can pull off with a friend in the business.

Before Memorial Day we have some great options worth exploring...
Old 03-01-2004, 08:27 AM
Flats Rat

Depends which week-end. Striper moonies have a bash on 15th/16th which I'm headed to. I'll probably end up making my own acoom arrangements.

I guess you know spring is coming when the diary starts to fill up
Old 03-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Fly chucker

I'm probably busy as well, chasing pike on Lake Ontario backwaters. If not, then I'm staying close to home and shoring up some more points for when I do go.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Marine Scientist

I'd love to attend, however can only make it during the weekend of the 8th. If it's the other weekend, no big deal, I'm sure to see some of you on the water before the end of the year.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:19 PM

IM in, I think my bro. and I will be there that week any how Will check with him.......
Old 03-01-2004, 09:23 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Which "second weekend in May" are we talking about? Sat. May 8 is the second weekend. Is that the date? If it is that weekend I can assist with cooking up a bunch of elk carne' asada and whatever. Let me know the dates. I may also have some other folks who can help. I have put up groups at the Huntsman Hotel on Rt 28 in W. Dennis, decent place, good rates, if folks are looking for an overflow from the Anchorage.
Cheers,
DK
aka rooster
Old 03-01-2004, 10:37 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Good rates and availability...

Holiday Hills is another cost effective alternative worth considering. Easy access to the Bass River and the south side.
SO MANY OPTIONS! so little time...:eyecrazy:
Old 03-03-2004, 11:15 AM

I have never been to one of these claves but It sounds like a terrific time. Count me in. I am fine with camping at Nickerson if there are others interested. I can hardly wait to get back fishing. The skiing this winter has been pretty good but the pull of the water is beginning to take over.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
I will most definately will be there again. The Anchorage was a great time. I guess I'll have to come up with some software to make decals after all the clave 2001 stickers were a hit and I'm not getting artwork.
I was thinking if we end up camping then we might consider Sweatwater ( I think that's it). Drew and I stayed there last year and it was a nice place. Also, for those who like a snort of pogey oil or a beer there are no restrictions like at the state campgrounds as it's private. Where as at Nickerson that's definately out. Not a priority of mine, although a beer is always a nice option. Just something to consider.

Last edited by Chris; 03-05-2004 at 07:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.