value of these reels - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Recent Member

value of these reels

A friend of mine picked up a few flyreels at a garage sale and would like to know if they are worth anything.
The first reel, which is red in colour:
O REN-O-MATIC
made in the U.S.A.
Balanced Reel
No. 1140
Model D

SOUTH BEND
Reel two in black:
On the side:
Pat. applied for

MARTIN
AUT.
FISH REEL
MOWHALK N.Y.

Third reel in green:
Same as the secpmd, just green in colour.

Fourth reel is a hand wind with 3 holes on one side, and the other side is: OCEAN CITY
AUTOMATIC
PHILLADELPHIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver
A friend of mine picked up a few flyreels at a garage sale and would like to know if they are worth anything.

They are absolutely worth something....

The first reel, which is red in colour:
O REN-O-MATIC
made in the U.S.A.
Balanced Reel
No. 1140
Model D

Check out http://www.south-bend.com/

SOUTH BEND
Reel two in black:
On the side:
Pat. applied for

Check out http://www.south-bend.com/

MARTIN
AUT.
FISH REEL
MOWHALK N.Y.

Check out www.martinfishing.com/

Third reel in green:
Same as the secpmd, just green in colour.

Check out www.martinfishing.com/

PHILLADELPHIA

Bottom line, yes, these are worth money. Now, how much? A couple hundred penies. Heck, I wouldnt even use a automatic reel if you gave me one. Tell your friend to look for the word "Hardy" and above all tell your friend AVOID AUTOMATIC REELS, THEY ARE JUNK!!
Old 10-11-2004, 04:20 AM
Junkyard Spey

Hey Steve...

Quote:
and above all tell your friend AVOID AUTOMATIC REELS, THEY ARE JUNK!!
You are most certainly entitled to your opinion but I know lots of old timers and a few not so old that think auto reels worked just fine for creek trout or fishing bass bugs out of a boat. I have one old Perrine that I bought used for $5.00 that is the veteran of several hundred trout out of the Clearwater with zero problems. I have several sitting around in my shop that sells mostly spey rods and they get a great deal of attention from my visitors. Would I use one to fish for steelhead or other long running fish? No I would not however that doesn't make them junk. They can be the basis for a great fly reel collection with low economic impact on a persons budget.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC
You are most certainly entitled to your opinion but I know lots of old timers and a few not so old that think auto reels worked just fine for creek trout or fishing bass bugs out of a boat. I have one old Perrine that I bought used for $5.00 that is the veteran of several hundred trout out of the Clearwater with zero problems. I have several sitting around in my shop that sells mostly spey rods and they get a great deal of attention from my visitors. Would I use one to fish for steelhead or other long running fish? No I would not however that doesn't make them junk. They can be the basis for a great fly reel collection with low economic impact on a persons budget.
Ok, instead of saying they are worth 100 pennies I will say they are worth 500 pennies. I still wouldnt use one tho. They are heavy as hell, and dont go very well with a 5 weight rod you would use on a small trout stream. And that is assuming one is paying $5 for one. If one is paying $25 for one, get something like a okuma sierra for the same price. Light, and has a decent drag. Heck, I caught a bunch of king salmon on a sierra 7/8 between 20 and 32 pounds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.