Board Conduct - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2001, 04:47 PM
President of CAC

Board Conduct

I just wanted to take this opportunity to mention that this board has, since I have been associated with it , and all the members , have conducted themselves with the highest principles, best intrests of all the members, and that no one has bad mouthed, put down or insulted anyone else. We may not always agree but we seem to all respect each other and all have added to the friendship and meaningful interaction that fishing together or shareing information and advise can bring. I speak from experience from the other "side" and want to thank everyone for keeping this board above all the others. Just my way of clearing my mind and putting me back where I want to be. Good friends, respect, tolerance of other peoples opinions, the absense of tageted sarcasm and good fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2001, 09:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have honestly been tied up with this server outage and don't know what's been happening but I try my best to remain neutral and be a positive contributor when I post... but sometimes I don't succeed even if I really want to. That being said the key phrase in your post was "good fishing"... GOOD FISHING - on that theme, can you believe the fishing two weeks ago??? THAT WAS totally freakin' OUT OF CONTROL!

I guess last weekend (a no-fishing weekend for me) was like fasting after a feast.

I am ready for another helping! BRING IT ON!
Old 07-18-2001, 11:11 PM
Just Plain Nuts

John... All I can say is WOW! Stay away from the DARK SIDE! I couldn't agree more with your comments about this board. As I've said before, there is no wrong or right way, just different ways. Here, people are willing to teach not chastise. Here you are accepted not shunned. All you need is a 9wt, a desire, and an open mind. The rest will come to you.

Jimmy
Old 07-19-2001, 07:43 AM

The internet has been a wonderful media for sharing ideas. It however has its pitfalls. For one, you never know who you are talking to (generally speaking).
A fairly smart person can sound like a guru after several months of reading posts even though he has no hands on knowledge of the subject.
Then you have the issue of keyboard heros. They will say what they want when they want to as they cower behind their keyboards. The internet levels the playing field and everyone is 6'4" 245 lbs.
I try to follow 4 basic rules:
1). Don't post unless it adds something to the thread (admittedly sometimes kidding around gets the better of me }>)
2). Don't type anything I wouldn't say to the person face to face - a mile down a deserted beach at midnight!
3). Fishing is supposed to be fun - try to keep talking about it fun also.
4). If you get flamed - Oh well ... big deal .. life goes on (if I don't follow this one my wife gets on my case and tells me to grow up .. so I guess I don't have a choice ;-) )
Nothing I've said here pertains to anyone on any of these FFing BB's in any way and is based on my observations from frequenting other sporting (non-fishing) BB's for the past 4 or 5 years.
If all else fails I just go fishing ... the world suddenly becomes right!
Old 07-19-2001, 04:14 PM

Quote:
striblue (07-18-2001 04:47 p.m.):
.. and all the members , have conducted themselves with the highest principles
Evan me? Wow you're being lenient today John ;-)
Actually I've becomed seasoned and more teflon like over the years. Evan Juro can't tweek me anymore 8-). I admit I had to learn how to act on a BB. But then again, there's always next winter, when I will be tested again. Hopefully, for me, every year will show some progress in this area.

Now shut up.

Lefty
Old 07-20-2001, 09:25 AM
Fluff

For the record, I'm part and parcel to the provocation John mentions at the other board. I want to defend it ( the board) only for the positive information that's made available by the respectful members (which includes MOST), and to voice my own opinion that: the recent goings on there are caused in much the same way as those in any other mutual benevolent, social, fraternal or congenial "society" that has, as it's purpose, a sharing "atmosphere" of like mind. In those groups will always be found some individuals who will, for any reason they can, provoke and goad and annoy and push the "envelope" to the point they make it unpleasant for the majority, who will either opt to say and do nothing, or weigh in and voice their respective displeasure - which propagates the original antagonist's intent by keeping the fire burning, ultimately creating hard feelings, satisfying the antagonist's desire to be recognized, and ultimately displaying the childish nature of the antagonist's intent. I called it "kindergarten" in an email to a Moderator when it happened recently; I chose to display my loyalties this time more privately.

These areas are as a couple posts above describe - areas where the "smallest" (by stature) can portray themselves to be gargantuan and thus powerful, yet retreat behind their "phantom" firewall and avoid retribution. Wrong. What they do is exhibit personality traits outside their learned lessons or acquired intelligence. I'ts my opinion these personality traits are always just under the surface, and ready to exhibit themselves at a moment's notice.

None of us is perfect. Refinement is a "learned" lesson.

I won't go into my initial involvement in the development of the site being spoken of, as I had no input short of social and philosophically educational. I am disappointed in it's current scope of operation, yet I continue to wish for it the success it pursues, that success being originally intended by the dissatisfaction of the charter members with a site before it.

A vicious circle, as I said to the originator of this thread. A further analogy is that of a few bad apples in every bunch. I suppose I could have said it that simply. I just didn't wanta ;-)

I am proud to be a participant here as well. I applaud the level of civility and professionalism portrayed among the members and further challenge the opinion of non-participants here, that this board is 'elitist' - in my mind, the choice to participate here further substantiates the level of respect the members have for one another.

Enough wordsmithing - the point is to fish, share and enjoy one another's support.
Old 07-20-2001, 03:44 PM
Recent Member

DFix, and the rest of the gang...

I am a new member of this board (as of the past three minutes - 3:26 PM 7/20/01). I came over here from the board in question. I recognize a few names already, and must say that the current state of existence over there is a bit sad. I will continue to freuent the board because I have grown to rely on, and quite frankly enjoy the reports of many of the members. They are informative, witty, and as far as I can tell all pretty damn close to the truth... I've been watching things on this board now for a few months, and have to say that Juro runs a pretty clean ship over here. I really enjoy the light atmosphere, and the willingness to help others...especially the less informed....which is one of the major issues. That's how it started out over there. I'm not attempting to pit boards against one another, nor do I feel that any of the above posts are trying to, but it's good to see how things shouldn't be done...which brings us back to the realization of just how good you guys have it over here. Just my .02.

Thanks. Gavin.
Old 07-20-2001, 03:54 PM
Fluff

Gavin - welcome.

This is a simple case of history repeating itself for all the known reasons it does so. I too will maintain my relationship with the other board, but as I said above, the admonition went out prior to it's popularity, and it needs to be remembered. I have little patience with people who wish to stir the pot for the pot's value...
Old 07-21-2001, 06:54 PM

Hi All
Am I missing something ? What is this other boards web address if their is some insulting and fighting to be done let me in there. I can insult and back bite with the best.

I will not leave this board I enjoy the gentlemen who post here

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 07-21-2001, 09:54 PM
President of CAC

Willie, good to hear from you from Scotland . I hope the salmon are running... No big deal... I was just commenting about this board and speaking in generalities.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.