Questions For All You Scotch Connesiuers (sp) - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2001, 05:44 PM
Middle Aged Member

Questions For All You Scotch Connesiuers (sp)

I'm normally a beer drinker but once in awhile I'll have a Chivas on the rocks. My Daughter brought me back a bottle of Auchentoshan single malt from Edinburgh. Eighteen years old with the label signed and dated as being distilled in 1978.

Judging from past posts from the likes of Juro, John Morin, Tom Dunlap and the steelhead crowd I might get some advise on the merits of the stuff, etc.

Questions:
Can anybody comment on this particular scotch?
Since it was distilled in 1978 is it really a 23 year old scotch?
Is it sacrilige to drink it on the rocks? (Ya I know, dumb question)
Whens a good time to crack it open? I'm thinking after the epic fishing day I'm going have because of the penance I paid last week on South Monomoy.

Thanks and Regards,
Fred A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2001, 06:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I'll have to defer to Willie Gunn, Adrian, Pete L from Calgary, etc - that's going a little beyond my level of expertise.

Just pour a little bit of water into a glass with lots of ice and sip the water on the side between sips of the undiluted scotch please ;-)
Old 07-09-2001, 06:12 PM

My mouth is watering...

http://www.morrisonbowmore.co.uk/auchentoshan.htm
Old 07-09-2001, 08:46 PM
Flats Rat

Fred

The age of the scotch relates to the time it was aged in the barrel - 12yr, 18yr, 30yr etc. The barrels are usually oak sherry casks from Spain. After bottling, the maturation process comes to a halt - unlike wine. Actually the newly distilled scotch is gin clear after distillation and acquires its color during the ageing process - it amazes me how the distilleries achieve such consistency - it's a real art. If you ever visit Scotland, a visit to a distillery should be high on the list of events. I've not tried this particular brand but would love to be there when you do!
Old 07-09-2001, 09:55 PM

Here is the best way to savour the treasure you have
1- use a glass, preferrably crystal, with a thick bottom to prevent body heat to get to the malt
2- get 3 ice cubes and let them melt to half water half ice
3- throw away the ice and water
4- repeat the process till I get there in September and I'll give you the rest of the recipe.....

Enjoy the fine malt!
Old 07-10-2001, 08:13 AM

Fred -

The word whisky (thats the Scots spelling)comes from the Gaelic words "uisque beatha," which means water of life. Not bad for a fisherman's tipple.

How to drink it? The same way you fish--any damn way you choose. That said, do ye ken the meaning of "neat?"

The pleasure of good whiskies (or the early stage of the pleasure) is enjoying the taste and smell and texture. Those distillers have taken some pains over 18 years to make it the way is. Why muck around with it? Pour it in a good glass. Sniff it. Drink it in. Swirl it around in your mouth--clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere(wink)--and swallow.

Having done that once or twice, by all means pour it over an ice cube or two if you want. Put a little water in it if you like. Chase it with a glass of fresh club soda on ice. That's what I do. I'd stop short of mixing it with Seven-Up or Gatorade--kinda ruins the effect. Most of all, enjoy it.

A glass with you, sir.

Jay MacLaughlin
Old 07-10-2001, 08:19 AM
Fluff

(in the method of an old Western Union telegram )

FRED A:

HAVE GLASSES, WILL TRAVEL
AVOID WATER - SEE ALL ABOVE POSTS - IF EMERGENCY HANDLING INSTRUCTIONS/ASSISTANCE NEEDED, REPLY STAT !!!
HAVE FUENTE CIGARS READY
AVAILABLE 24/7 ;D
STOP
Old 07-10-2001, 08:21 AM

How about the glass? At home I enjoy single malts best in a snifter style glass because it lets you get the carmelly, peaty, smoky smell as you sip. I am wondering if that's the way they do it in Scotland?

On the river, the flask is more than adequate... but metal flasks impart a tinny flavor in a day or two. I have been searching for a glass-lined flask but the only one I've heard of was one that my brother found for $300. He was going to get one for me for a birthday gift but then he saw the pricetag! Any references to glass or other lined flasks are appreciated.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:44 AM
Flyfishing on the brain..

The glass of choice for me while enjoying such a beverage is the Riedel Vinum Single Malt glass. They also make a Sommelier version that they rob you of $40+ per glass. The Vinum series usually comes at least six to a box for around $80. They are small, and easily transportable.

You can see an example of what the glass looks like here

You can buy the Vinum series
here for the most reasonable price that I have found.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:57 AM
Middle Aged Member

Thanks all for the education. I do like my Chivas in my wifes Waterford. As it turns out, my daughter bought some Waterford crystal for my wife in Ireland and they threw in some tumblers. I'll wait for the new glasses (six weeks for shipment I believe).

Or maybe we will crack it in September at the DAC. Then again...

Fred A.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:24 AM
Fluff

Quote:
FredA (07-10-2001 11:57 a.m.):
Thanks all for the education. I do like my Chivas in my wifes Waterford. As it turns out, my daughter bought some Waterford crystal for my wife in Ireland and they threw in some tumblers. I'll wait for the new glasses (six weeks for shipment I believe).

Or maybe we will crack it in September at the DAC. Then again...

Fred A.
I save the fancy stuff for when the rich friends are at the house and the expect fancy glassware. In the meanwhile, and they're damned if they even know the difference, I've got this really neat etched glassware that cost about two or three bucks a box, looks elegant, is cut with seafaring themes - and we've received more compliments on that glassware. It came in all the right styles and nobody even suspects it's cheap ;D

Personally, I stick to snifters for expensive French brandy, and take my single malt in a double Old Fashioned glass. I even have Galway crystal for my brandy, so there ;p

A glass with you, Sir.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.