Sun glasses? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2004, 11:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to tglynos
Sun glasses?

Does anyone have any recommendations on an inexpensive pair of polarized sunglasses for the Salt. I'd hate to spend money on sunglasses if I could save it and spend it on a spare spool, or better yet a different weight rod. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 10:48 AM

a good pair of specs is the most important piece of fishing gear. If I had to, I would skimp on everything else in order to get the best sun glasses.
having said that, who make excelent quality glasses for not too much?
Old 02-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Jonesin...

Glasses...

I have heard good things about Flying Fisherman glasses. However, I think their pricing is starting to come into the Action Optics CR-39 range. Those are the two I would look at.

Sean
Old 02-23-2004, 05:08 PM
JD

Action Optics

Last year I bit the bullet and ordered Action Optics HP Delta's.
Couple of things going on here.[list=1][*]I wear progressive lens which Action Optics does not grind.[*]Delta HP's are available with an Rx insert which fits behind the lense and can be ground by your local optician.[*]Hp Delta's feature interchangable one piece wrap around lenses in different shades.[/list=1] I ordered the bronze and the yellow. I use the yellow for low light (read all winter) and the bronze the rest of the time.

Besides being able to see down into the water, the wrap around design negates the need for the side shields to block out unwanted light. They also make great driving glasses. And really cut through fog and rain.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:25 PM

I don't know how you define "inexpensive" and how "fashion-conscious" you are. I think that the Orvis "Superlights" work just fine, at apx. $59/pair plain and apx. $79 with ground-in magnifer bifocals. They have a few others that are a bit cheaper. I usually have a pair of these as a backup to a pair of Action Optics glasses that look quite similar, tho the latter are fancier in several ways. I usually forget which pair I have while I'm wearing them.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:06 PM

I would NOT recomend the cheaper Orvis shades.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Bauer Pauer

It can not be stressed enough that you should not skimp on glasses. It always surprises me the amount of money people spend on rods and reels and then go and spend $10 on cheap glasses.

It killed me to spend $140 on a pair of Costa Del Mars but I tell you what...If there are fish around I will see them.

You can't catch what you can't see.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the tips, I didn't realize how important a good pair of glasses are. I guess I wont be saving too much then, will I. Like you said, you can't catch what you can't see, and I'm going to have a hard enough time already.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:17 AM

How about saving by buying polycarbonate vs. glass?
Old 02-24-2004, 09:21 AM

poly vs. glass..... ...I used to have two eyes.
One could argue that glass can shatter and for safety reasons, you should wear plastic. I have broken a couple of glass lenses and they did't seem to "shatter", but I didn't get a 3oz Hopkins in the face to really check it out. The disadvantages of glass are price, weight(plastic are a little more comfortable. depends on the frame). Glass can crack if dropped or sat on.
The advantages of glass over plastic are clarity (glass has better optical qualities) and longevity. Plastic lenses scratch up. Glass seems to have a more even polarisation. It's hard to describe, but when you check against each other, the glass seems to always be better.
I had some poly Costas that I loved. Light, comfortable, but they scratched up so quick ., I have gone back to my old glass specs. I wear prescription, so they are expensive enough. I will go glass for my next pair.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:49 AM

You can't beat good shades. For sight fishing I like the amber color. For comfort on the eyes I find the dark gray better but they don't provide as much contrast as the amber.

Being vision challenged I am particular about glasses. Look for a comfortable fit, the rubber grips on the nose bridge will help keep the specs from sliding down your sunscreened nose. The hinge and spring can rust fast on the cheapos. Like anything you get what you pay for to a point, and then you're just paying for a name.

I like my Action optics CR-39 Rx.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:11 AM

I like glass because they are definitely clearer and they don't scratch up. AO has some really good brown tinted lenses (all hour brown or something to that effect) that are great for both FW and SW sight fishing. Bought a pair Hobies a couple years ago that are the best I've used....all a matter of what lens color you pick and for what application. Shades that wrap to the shape of your face will block the light out of the edges...so fit is important.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Recent Member

I don't know if you have a correction, but if you do check with your local eye doctor. They can make you some polorized in any lens color. My wife works for an eye doc, and had a pair made in polorized grey, plastic lenses, and a very low set bifocal for tying on bugs. I had the bifocal set low so that it doesn't foul me up wading and looking down to see rocks below the water. They can make them without correction also. If you have a frame that you like you can save a lot of money. Not trying to cut off my wife's livelyhood, but the big discount shopping clubs are much more reasonable.

I like large lenses to block the most light so plastic is the best route or they get too heavy and slide down your sweatty nose all day long.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:28 AM

I have not had good luck with eye doctor, when it comes to fishing goggles. Befor I knew about AO, Maui Jim, Costa et all, I had gotten a couple of pairs from a couple of Dr.s . They didn't really understand what I needed and the lense colors were not quite right. The polarisation was not that great (off axis on one pair!) and they were very very expensive. I am not saying that the local Dr. can't get you into the perfect pair of sunglasses, but do the research so you know exactly what you are looking for.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Kodiak Alaska

Thumbs up Costa Del Mars

I use Costa Del Mars, I've had 2 pairs. Lost one pair in Alaska fighting a Halibut into our 'Whailer and imediatly bought another pair.
The photo's you see looking down into a river with a naked lens and then with a polorized lens are really realistic.

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.