Tying Books: Which ones are your "go-to's" - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Marine Scientist

Tying Books: Which ones are your "go-to's"

The post I made the other day on Stalcup's book got me thinking about which tying books people refer to most often. My tying desk has a couple of cabinets and one of these is filled with the tying books I use all the time, while the rest of the library is elsewhere.

Mine are...

The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference
Trout Flies (Hughes)
Essential Trout Flies (Hughes, for quicker reference)
Mayflies, Top to Bottom (Stalcup)
Tying Better Flies (Scheck)
The Art of the Trout Fly (Dunham and Van Dyck, many innovative tiers discusse and give examples of their techniques)
Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing (Bates)
The Fly-Tying Bible (Gathercole, useful for patterns)
Spey Flies and How to Tie Them (Veverka)
Shrimp and Spey Flies for Salmon and Steelhead (Mann and Gillespie)
Tube Flies (Mandell and Johnson)
Fly Tying with Synthetics (Camera)
Pop Flyes (Popovics and Jawarowski)
Innovative Saltwater Flies (Veverka)
Tying Contemporary Saltwater Flies (Klausmeyer)

I have a few other tying books, but these are used the most depending on what I happen to be tying at the time.

So, which books do you keep by the bench?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Pullin' Thread

Chris,

This is a trick question because those of us who have been tying for a long time (in my case it will be 42 years this April) and who have learned how to tie many different styles of flies have book shelves full of tying books. And all of them are referred to at times.

A better way to approach the topic I think would be to have folks list the one book in each catagory that they find most useful.

The Schlomeyer FLY TIER'S BENCHSIDE REFERENCE is in my opinion the single best refeence of tying techniques that has been produced to date.

Kelson's SALMON FLY in my opinion is the best 19th century reference for classic featherwing salmon fly patterns and techniques, and as a bonus it is chock full of sound fishing technique and advice too.

Pryce-Tannat's book HOW TO DRESS SALMON FLIES I think is the best salmon fly tying book of the 20th century.

laFountaines CADDISFLIES is unsurpassed for a reference on tying and fishing caddis flies.

Berman's TROUT is superb as a reference on tying Catskill style flies.

Swiebert's MATCHING THE HATCH and NYMPHS are must have's to me.

Marinaro's MODERN DRY FLY CODE for its info on terrestrials.

Brooks' NYMPH FISHING FOR LARGER TROUT for it info on ty8ing and fishing in-the-rond nymphs.

Bates' two books on streamers and Fulsher's book on Thunder Creek streamers are must have's for streamer tying and fishing.

Boyd Pfiffer's book on bass bugs for solid info on tying deer hair and bass streamers.

Lefty Krey's book on saltwater flies.

These are books I think that all tyers who wish to tie these styles should have in their tying libraries. Others I'm sure would change some of them or add different books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.