Best FF book - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2004, 03:24 PM

Best FF book

Here is a topic of conversation, what is the best FF book ever on salt or Fresh water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 02:59 PM

Depends on your level of skill and where you want to fish. Some books inform reader re tackle. If you're beyond that, buy area or fish specific. I just bought two books today : Fisherman's Coast by Aaron J. Adams - good info for Southern waters where I live. Fly Rodding Estuaries by Ed Mitchell - looks like mostly for the N.E. (stripers). I have "False Albacore by Tom Gilmore. Also good are Stripers on the Fly by Lou Tabory and Saltwater Fly Fishing by Capt. Mike Starke. And don't forget, most of these books are subjective and only reflect one fisherman's ideas. I think fishing books are like cook books; if you can get one good recipe (one good idea) from a book you're ahead of the game.

Now if you ask which is the best fly fishing instruction book of all time I would have to say (hands down) George Roberts book-"Master The Cast". To me this is the ultimate text for fly casting. You can read this book 10 times and come away with actionable ideas and remedies each time.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:11 PM

Nate, I can't get it down to a single book. I find that most books will give me several ideas or themes that sink into memoryonly to come out at some situation in the future. Sorry I can't help you.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Flats Rat

Like John, its hard to pin down any single work. I guess that's why there are so many fly fishing books on my shleves

Falkus on Salmon remains a great piece of work which turned a lot of traditional ideas upside down. Lefty, Jack Samson and Trey Combes have each contributed works that impart saltwater knowledge through real-life adventure ....
Old 02-21-2004, 06:16 AM
Here fishy fishy

Good February topic.

Depends upon the topic: instructional or narrative; fiction or non-fiction, fresh or salt...

That said, W.D Wetherell has written two of my favorites ("Upland Stream", "One River More"), Abrames "Stripermoon" is an annual read for me, as is Kaminsky's "The Moon Pulled Up an Acre of Bass"; Schweibert's (sp?) "A River for Christmas" always amazes me.

Just read Dave Hughes' "Taking Trout". Essentially a compilation of lots of mag articles he's written. As the subtitle says, it's full of really good, practical advice...

Bates' "Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing" is a terrific how to/narrative/kitchen sink book for both fresh & salt.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:24 PM

Sorry I should have been more specific. I was looking for a new flyfishing book to read, nonfiction on the lines of skill improvement or locations to dream about. I have read all the classics, I was thinking about something new?
Old 02-24-2004, 06:04 PM

Here are some recently read books that have made an impact. Not all of them are recent & none are destination books.

Carp on the fly, Beyfus & Berryman,
Micropatterns, Darrel Martin
Rod Design, Don Phillips (the title is probably wrong on this one)
Old 02-24-2004, 08:23 PM

Family duties called me away, heres the rest of the list.

What the trout said, Datus Proper
Bass Bug Basics, John Likakis
one of Joe Bates books on Streamers
Pop Flyes, Popovic & Jaworski
Old 02-25-2004, 11:56 AM

Tom McGuane - "The Longest Silence"

Non-fiction, but not How-to. Some of the funniest, most poignant and clever prose I have ever read on any topic. This guy is a master novelist on top of being a huge fly-fisher who writes non-fiction in an entertaining way. I cannot reccomend this book enough for fishing people.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Marine Scientist

Chiming in late...

I've found Fly Rodding Estuaries and Fly Fishing the Saltwater Shoreline, both by Ed Mithcell, to be very informative books for fishing tactics, though I'd choose the former over the latter if I had to pick one to bring with me on the plane. I picked up Fisherman's Coast by Aaron Adams a couple of weeks ago and have gotten about 1/2 way through it; being a marine scientist, myself, I can appreciate his writing style and the scope of the information he presents. I have plenty of other saltwater ff books, but I find those mentioned to stand out from the rest. As for patterns, Veverka's book is nice for photos and Klausmeyer's book on Contemporary Saltwater Flies is another of note, but honestly I find better representations of patterns and tying them on the web!

General reading: The Moon Pulled Up an Acre of Bass by Peter Kaminsky; great read!

Last edited by flyfisha1; 05-13-2004 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Recent Member

Striper Moon by Ken Abrames for Striper fishing; Prospecting for Trout by Tom Rosenbauer for Trout Fishing; Any non-fiction book by Thomas McGuane for good reading.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:22 AM

Dave welcome to the forum. "Prospecting for Trout" made me realize that I had adapted to the streams typical of Massachussetts rather than using the methods espoused by those fishing on more fertile waters. Before that I thought I was crazy at times. Good book.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:05 PM

Curtis Creek Manifesto

How to Fool fish with Feathers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.