Forks Fights Wild Steelhead Harvest Ban - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Registered Spey Offender

Forks Fights Wild Steelhead Harvest Ban

This was posted by a friend on another site. I thought that you folks would be interested. Also, I can't pull the story up on line, wondering if anyone can get a copy, scan and post with an OCR program. There is discussion at this site. http://www.forksforum.com/article.ph...d9edad0ab49c3a Very slanted toward the decimation of our Steelhead. Hope posting these links are OK. I figured a few of you would like to express yourselves. I have.

Matt Burke

Here is what Bob writes:

If you want to read some swill from the "Wild Fish Killers of the Olympic Peninsula", look to today's Peninsula Daily News,( www.peninsuladailynews.com), and read Derek Meneken's article regarding the Wild Steelhead Harvest Moratorium, in the Sports section.

I think that the reporting in that paper, on this and related issues, has been very slanted; away from conservation and toward continued harvest. And If you want to make an intelligent statement to that paper: letters@peninsuladailynews.com

If you want to let Mayor Nedra Reed of Forks, Wa, and the City Council Members of Forks,( all of whom are proposing to challenge the moratorium in a serious and committed way), know how valuable Wild Steelhead are to you, and how important the WDF&W Commission decision,(to impose a two year ban on harvest of Wild Steelhead), is to your fishing and visits in the Forks area; then take a moment to write a thoughtful, respectful and brief note in support of that recent decree. Let Mayor Nedra Reed know how often you fish in the Forks area and how much you spend there. No matter what form of tackle you use, you have a right to be heard.

Mayor Nedra Reed and the Council Members can be contacted via the Forks website at: www.forkswashington.org/

In addition, Let the Forks Chamber of commerce know what you do in Forks, and what you spend there as well. The Forks Chamber of Commerce can be reached at: www.forkswa.com/

As usual, whenever someone does not want to recognize the need for conservation or protection of a natural resource, they are screaming about "Jobs and Dollars".

No one in this modern life really "Needs" to kill Wild Steelhead to make an honest living. If you care at all about this then take the time to let them know what YOUR dollars are worth in the Forks community; tell them where and when you spend your money, and why. And please, do this in a thoughtful and respectful manner. Let's give them something to think about instead of playing the old us-against-them-game.

The addresses are on the websites. I think it takes about four or five minutes to sit down and write a note to these people, fold it into an envelope and mail it with a stamp. That's the best way to let them know you care. And it's the best way to catalog the public comments. If we don't do this they will just run rampant with the thing. Emails don't count for as much as a real note.

If it meant that you could catch more wild fish someday; wouldn't you want to take the five minutes to make a difference?

Bob

Last edited by mattzoid; 02-19-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 10:44 PM

An Open Letter to the Citizens of Forks

I feel for you. First logging and now steelhead. I couldn't do anything about the logging but I CAN do something about wild steelhead.

I will come fish for them.

I will tell my friends in other states and other countries Ė my friends who flyfish for Atlantic Salmon in Scotland, Norway and Nova Scotia and my friends who fish for steelhead in Idaho and Oregon and travel north across the border to fish for steelhead in the Dean and Thompson. I will tell them about the wild steelhead runs that will do nothing but become more and more numerous. We will stay in Forks. We will eat and drink in Forks. Some will hire guides in Forks. They will go home and tell their friends of the great fishing and the hospitable people of Forks and they will show photographs of the beautiful steelhead they released back into the water.

Get ready people of Forks. Your future is coming!

Leland Miyawaki,
Kent Washington
Old 02-20-2004, 07:07 PM

Yeah Forks

Just emailed their city attorney rodf.forks@centurytel.net (the first email address found on their website) with the message that I will visit, sleep, eat, hire guides in their fair city thanks to the State's moratorium on wild steelhead killing.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:24 AM
CND The Spey Underground

I am yet to fish the Peninsula Rivers, it is quite a long haul for me. However, I am going to make every effort to get out there - and it is due to the catch and release regulation just passed.

I think it is very important that those who are in favour of Catch and Release of Wild Steelhead lend their mouths to this effort - as well as put their money where their collective mouths are! It is not enough for us to sit back and enjoy the "victory". As we speak the forces of bonkage are rallying and so long as they have the local governments and businesses on their side they will have real clout. They must be brought to realize that $ will not come to their fair communities only at the cost of dead steelhead.

So write them, e-mail them... go out there and TELL them that catch and release sportsmen will support their businesses. They don't care how fishermen fish - they just care that they come and spend money - we can do that!

Leland, or anyone else who has some e-mail addresses and/or mailing addresses of the Forks people should post them for all to see. I would appreciate some key ones (both on the Commision and in Forks) as I will propose at the Steelhead Society of BC Directors meeting this week that the SSBC write a letter indicating our support of the new regulation

Still Living Large!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:46 AM

Kush,

Here is what I have been able to glean from their website. They don't appear to have email addresses.

Leland.

Council members are: Artie Anderson, Denise Graham, Josh Broo, Pat Mansfield, Tim Fletcher, then City Clerk Treasurer Dan Leinan, Attorney / Planner Rod Fleck.

City mayor is Nedra Reed.

Forks City Hall
500 East Division Street
Forks, Washington 98331
Phone: 360-374-5412
Fax: 360-374-9430
Old 02-23-2004, 08:14 AM

To paraphrase from the movie, "Field of Dreams,"

"If you save the wild steelhead, they will come."
Old 02-23-2004, 01:33 PM

Leland,

Sure sounds like to me that the Forks people don't want the CnR crowd out there to fish. I will definately go out there if they don't fight this legally and I will let them know why I am there but I will have a hard time going there if they do fight it legally. I have money and will spend it there but not if if it is going to help fund a legal challenge to a rule i want and believe it. They need to see that the sky isn't falling on them and I think they will be just fine.

JJ
Old 02-23-2004, 01:49 PM

You're right, of course, JJ. That is about all we can do.

Leland.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to Skilly Send a message via Yahoo to Skilly
reason

One of the reasons that they may be against CnR is their clients want to kill the fish and take it home to the big city. Years ago when I was guiding the Deschutes, I had a client from England take a big hatchery buck home. If their clients want to CnR I am sure the guide will not protest.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:02 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Here is my letter. I will be posting it.

February 23, 2004.

Mayor Nedra Reed,
Forks Washington,

I am writing you to voice my elation with the recent Washington State decision to stop the killing of wild steelhead. As a British Columbian I have grown up with catch and release regulations for wild steelhead. Frankly, I have avoided making the trek out to the Olympic Peninsula for many years, as I did not want to be spending my vacation dollars where wild steelhead were being killed. With this recent decision I will be coming out to your fair city to fish for the wild steelhead your rivers are renowned for.

What you and your Chamber of Commerce need to recognize is that wild steelhead are revered by a large community of anglers. Like myself, we are willing to travel hundreds of miles and spend considerable amounts of money to catch and release a few fish.

Last year I helicoptered into the Dean River at a cost of thousands of dollars, I also drive 15 hours to the Skeena and stay for 8-10 days to fish for wild steelhead. As well, I fish on average 15 days in the spring on the Skagit system and I do all of this with the expectation that I will harvest none of them. I believe that you will experience a serious influx of affluent anglers to the Forks area. Wild steelhead are a magnet, yet we believe they are too valuable to catch and kill. These magnificent fish need to be able to reproduce to create even more of their kind. The result is thereby obvious; more of their kind equals more of my kind, which is very good for your town and its business community.

In my opinion what you, your Council and your Chamber of Commerce should be doing is embracing the new regulations and actively promoting the great new opportunity you have with wild steelhead. Forks could easily become a worldwide destination for steelheaders. As vehement as those who oppose the changes are Ė they are relatively local, the proponents of Catch & Release are equally passionate and will put their money where their mouths are and are worldwide. To us these fish are not mere meat - they are the epitome of our sport. Have no fear - the fishermen will come.

Yours sincerely,

Tyler Kushnir

Cc Forks Chamber of Commerce
The Forks Forum

Still Living Large!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:00 PM

Terrific letter Kush.

Leland.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:05 PM

Kush,

The mayors first name is Nedra.

Leland.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Holdout

Tyler, Great letter and thanks for the support. It was great to meet and talk with you again at the show.

-Lost poor realitive of the Simms family fishing fortune
Old 02-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Pullin' Thread

Folks,

I agree that we all need to write letters similar to Kush's. However, don't forget that there are a lot of steelheaders who live in Port Angeles, Sequim, Forks, and the area between Sequim and Forks who practice C&R on all wild fish. There are also quite a few of the guides who insist on C&R in their boats. When I lived in Port Angeles, no one I fished with (whether fly, gear, or spin fisher) bonked wild fish.

That said, I am very aware of the very vocal group of locals (both guides and fishers) from that area that although relatively small in number who get the ear of the newspapers, Chamber of Commerce, and City Council and Mayor of Forks who advocate killing of any wild fish caught. This group makes so much noise that the CC and City Council make the false assumption that all the fishers who either live in on the North OP or visit it are interested in bonking wild fish. Letter to them similar to Kush's will show them that there are many who will gladly drive to Forks from afar simply because of the C&R regulation.

Kush,

The west end OP rivers are some of my favorites, I only wish I lived closer than 4 hours+ away from them. My favorite river on the OP is the Sol Duc in the spring and fall in the area where Glasso used to fish. Alas, I only get over there 2 or 3 times per year.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:40 AM

Here are some people to send email too:
City planner\attorney rodf.forks@centurytel.net
Chamber of Commerce: chamber@forkswa.com
Economic Developer: kathyc.forks@centurytel.net

Here is my letter to the mayor:
Dear Mayor Reed,

I have read your quotes in the Forks Forum and in the Port Angles paper. I am here to say that I am a Catch and Release advocate and have never killed a wild fish intentionally in my life. I have stayed away from Forks in the spring time because of the catch and kill fishery. I donít believe in it and it isnít good science. I would come out there and spend my money and be extremely happy to do so. Every year I drive 5 hours and spend a great deal of money to fish the Thompson in British Columbia and there hasnít been wild fish kill there in 20 years. Did I mention the 14 hour trip I took to Northern BC for 8 days this last year, that was a great trip and I know I helped the local economy. The experience is worth more the dead fish in the bottom of the boat.

Have you seen what is happening to the numbers of wild steelhead in the state? I have and am willing to show you what is actually going on with the fish. The Hoh missed escapement last year by 800 fish yet there was still a sport harvest that would have put the river over escapement if it wouldnít have been allowed. It is being managed below escapement levels this year too. That comes directly from the department of Fish and wildlife. The Quillayute system has taken a steep nose dive over the last 5 years too. If we drop again this year it will be year 6 in a row which is over a full life cycle. This isnít good. We need to do everything we can to protect these fish.

Ask towns like Spences Bridge and Smithers in BC how much catch and release on wild fish has hurt them. Or talk to the people in Rockport or Clarks Bunny Cabins on the Skagit and see how they benefit from a CnR season. This is something to be embraced and welcomed. I and many others will come spend our money in your community if you embrace this, right now you are saying you donít want my money by what is being said and your stance on this subject and the hurts me as I want to come out and help but if you are going to sue I canít in good conscience come out and support that. Please drop this and embrace it and learn how to make Forks a destination spot for people who love the fish and the experience of watching them swim away.

JJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.