You Know What I Like? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2001, 04:51 PM

You Know What I Like?

Fly fishing with friends & new acquaintances as well as by myself.

Learning more about the sport and the environment from others. Sharing my limited knowledge with others who ask.

I was out fly fishing last night, with a friend, didn't catch anything but I did learn a new spot. Came home nice and relaxed.

Roop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2001, 05:38 PM
President of CAC

Yes... Roop I even feel better reading your post instead of some of the stuff I've been reading the last couple days...somewhere else .. can't find one negative thing on FFF, just decent people who have something worth while to say... like your post.
Old 06-21-2001, 07:48 PM

At the risk of brining up a potentially sore subject... but ...

I really enjoyed your post Roop. I think it is what we are all about - in fact it's our "mission". If you ask me we always have and we continue to live up to those ideals. Here's to many more years of the same!

Thanks Roop.

Gregg
Old 06-21-2001, 08:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hawkeye -

You were always one to wade out into a rushing flood tide! But then maybe that's why you catch so many quality fish. Oh I can hear it now!

But I am starting to realize that there is a big difference between 'hearing' and 'listening' and maybe "listening" should be reserved for ideas and voices and words that are worth listening to.

Heckling is never a worthwhile reason to listen, and that was the only problem with the mission statement exercise. Heckling from a corner of the web universe many Forum members from around the world can't even remotely relate to. I agree with you, there was never anything wrong with any of it, except of course the heckling itself. I'm done with worrying about it.

It's not the statement that matters anyway it's the spirit of the group that counts. I am damn proud to be a part of this community.

Juro
Old 06-21-2001, 09:54 PM

A good listner is a Good SALESMAN FOR WHATEVER
saltRon
Old 06-21-2001, 10:43 PM

I've had a rough couple of years...mostly things out of my control...but things started to turn around about a year ago when I ran into a very positive fellow by the name of Jearou at Blue Northern and, after a few upbeat words, he slipped me a card with the FFF web address and his name...Oops... Make that Juro!
I watched the Forum at a safe distance from the peanut gallery and was impressed...I read about great trips and even better friendships and was taken by the positive approach by members who went out of their way to do the right thing...
...like making sure that a new guy got on the boat at the Spring Clave so he could get the skunk smell off his gear and have a great time, and he did!...and that's special!...
And members like Roop and Jim Doogue & sons who just bowl me over with true hospitality and warmth...and the CAC proprietor who is so open and accommodating and always willing to share gear, flies, and special attention... and then there's that JURO guy! What can I say?! ...and everyone else who has been so outgoing, kind, warm and friendly.
Sure catching fish is great...but it's so much better with this sort of comradeship where sharing seems to come first and the catching is frosting on the cake. I have been profoundly moved and affected by this experience and look forward to enjoying this common calling...with new friends who seem like old friends...THANKS! THANKS ALOT!
LET'S GO FISHING!
I just hope that I can keep up with the Big Dawgz!
Old 06-22-2001, 06:27 AM

Just wanted to swing back into some good Karma.

No intention of casting aspersions (sp?).

Hope to get out this weekend, Saturday AM is my only free time and the weather gods don't seem to be smiling on me.

Have a great weekend! Good luck!

Roop
Old 06-22-2001, 08:05 AM
Flats Rat

Pete, you summed it up for me very eloquently. This time last year I was killing myself (literally) on the golf course every week-end. Thanks to this forum and an incredible group of people this year has been very different. Coming off the water after a challenging session with no fish somehow seems so much more fullfilling than coming off the course having shot 10 over my handicap - at least for me.
Old 06-22-2001, 08:09 AM
Here fishy fishy

Roop - nice post. Definitely a karma boost.

If you are at all interested, tomorrow morning's my only free time too (early - have to be home by 8 or 9 at the latest) & I'm planning on doing some prospecting around Duxbury Bay. Weather's not looking particularly promising, but low tide is around 7:30 & there's some spots I've been meeting to hit. Drop me an email or post here if interested in meeting up.

Tod
Old 06-22-2001, 08:20 AM
Fluff

Jeff - thanks for the reality check. We all need reminding, occasionally. Which goes to John's comment about goings-on elsewhere. He knows my position so no need for statement here. Pete and Adrian express it very nicely. Juro deserves to be credited with providing then an outlet. The members provide the rest.

My own personal thanks for allowing my participation, however sparse.
Old 06-22-2001, 08:30 AM
Just Plain Nuts

I have to agree with every thing said here. I also second the comments by SOLO. In reality, I'm not the most out going person in the world. I met the owner of the CAC last summer. As I've said before, he was my greatest "cheer leader" on BIG GIRL. He turned me on to FFF. Like SOLO, I watched from a distance. I just couldn't see my self as part of a "chat group". But as I watched, I saw that it was much,much more. So I took a chance and logged in. Bingo! I was accepted. No questions asked. Just a whole bunch of people, some with funny nick names saying "WELCOME!". No one cared if I could throw a fly line 100ft, or tie my own flies, or catch tons of fish. I shared a common interest. That's all that mattered. On this forum, there is no such thing as a right way or a wrong way to fish. Just different ways. I think that equals respect. For each other and our passion. People on this forum have opened up their homes and their fly boxes to a total stranger. And they say to me, "When you get to the Cape, let's go fishing". Just think, that's how all of this started. Three simple words. LETS GO FISHING. Who knew that those three words could mean so much?

Jimmy
Old 06-22-2001, 09:09 AM
Fluff

I'm coming back into this just because of what Jimmy said - he mirrors so many of my own feelings and dealings (and, not to mention, by my own admission, my limited list of "friends") - but he knows that.

The best is the memory of those three words - extended by so many nice people, a few of whom have been added to the "list", for which I'm grateful. Thanks to all here and elsewhere that give of themselves.

p.s. - Juro - cute slide around that other little "thing" ;-)
Old 06-27-2001, 08:37 AM

Pete, you could not have said it better. I'm proud to know all of you and to be a part of such a great group who care enough to help each other. I think the most important thing we can all do , is to continue on with a positive, forward direction.
My first encounter with FFF was meeting "that JURO guy "at the Wilmington Fly Show, and like you, he handed me a card and invited me to join him on the spring clave. His straightforwardness took me by surprise, you don't find alot of that in the fishing game. And while being a beginner fly fisher, I was treated as one of the group.
If anyone reading this has an interest in meeting friends who might just turn out to become some of the best you can find, get into it, you will learn to fish places most people don't even dream of, you will create some lasting friendships, and improve all the aspects of fly fishing. I know I did!
Old 07-02-2001, 05:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
Ditto, ditto, and double ditto.

A worldwide flyfishing forum. The power in the concept is extraordinary...made more extraordinary by the quality of people who bring the concept to life.

The spirit of the group is compelling.
Old 07-02-2001, 05:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
But who is this mystical Jeruu guy? Has anyone ever seen him?

Frankly, I don't think he exists.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.