Opinion on Reel - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2004, 08:30 AM

Opinion on Reel

Anyone have an opinion on Lamson Velocity reels? Looking at the V4 model.....looking to replace my present reel....is this reel reliable and relatively trouble free?
Thanks, Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2004, 08:38 AM
Marine Scientist

I've never had any trouble with Lamson products; in fact, I only own their reels now (switched over from Bauer). Two Litespeeds and two Velocitys, all work very well. The drag systems are the same between the reels, I believe, with the only difference between the series being the actual frames and spools. I prefer the look of the Litespeed, and it's a bit lighter than the comparably-sized Velocity models, but other than that they're essentially the same reels.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:36 AM

Thanks Chris.....happy to hear the words "trouble free". The new Velosity this year is lighter, I like the line capacity as well. Price seems good for a quality reel....I really can't go to the $400+ range, this real is about 265. Thanks for the input.
Ron
Old 02-17-2004, 09:46 AM

Ron I have a V4 and an open-back V 3.5. They are both great and have a drag that could "stop a sub" as they say. The drag knob is nice and accessible and the capacity is off the charts due to the wide spool.

One issue that applies to all sealed drag reels is you need to be careful that you don't expose the spindle to saltwater when you're changing spools etc. I did this with my V4 and it froze the drag.

That said as long as the spool is popped in you can drop them in the sand, water, etc and experience no problems.

Lamson was quite good about repairing and returning the reel quickly.

Happy hunting.

Dave
Old 02-17-2004, 11:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
I love my V4 too. Great reel for the money. I've had some big fish on it and the drag was sweet. I'm thinking the original V4 may be discontinued so you might be able to get a great close out price on one.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:53 AM

Appreciate the responses!! Think you guys made the decision easier. Dave...I'll keep it out of the salt. The one I looked at Saturday had no latch to remove the spool, nice feature keep sand out in case I get tossed backside over tea kettle in the surf at SB :-) My only concern was...what keeps the spool on, if friction, would that cause wear and spool wobbling issues? Hopefully they have engineered for that problem.Will be checking out deals at Willimington....hopefully there will be a show discount.
Given past comments of this site....will probably go with Airflow intermediate (specific type, not too sure yet). They list a cold water clear line but I have no idea how it would perform if I went south for bones.
Ron
Old 02-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Jonesin...

Cold Water Airflow...

Ron,

The Airflow cold water intermediate will turn to mush in the tropics would be my guess. Its gets a little mushy up here on a hot August day. Although I think you would want a floater for the Bones anyway. The cost of a new line is short money in comparison to most other costs when heading south.

Sean
Old 02-17-2004, 12:13 PM

Ron,

There is a rubber O-ring which serves 2 purposes: seals the drag components and snaps the spool onto the frame. I have beaten on mine pretty well over the last 2 years and never experienced any wobble or anything. Just that corrosion in the drag which was caused by user error
Old 02-17-2004, 11:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to tglynos
A little suggestion, if you saw the V4 and like it, snatch it up, because I've been waiting for on since the first of the year thats been on backorder. I hope it makes it in time for the season to start
Old 02-18-2004, 06:28 AM

Not to hijack the thread, look at Teton Reels as well. Their drag is fully sealed. I've had 3 Teton Tioga reels for some time now and they're bullet proof in the salt. Natick Outdoor Store carries them and usually has some pretty good prices at the shows.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Marine Scientist

Don't worry about the spool popping off; it takes some pretty good effort to remove the spool, and there's no wobble at all. I've owned Teton reels in the past, and while I thought that they were fairly good I think that the Velocity series is superior; this is based on weight, line capacity, and smoothness of the drag, but that's just my opinion and experience. If I could afford a back-up reel for my Lamsons, the choice would be between Tetons and the inexpensive Bauers.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:46 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Tioga has received great comments as well....but I must admit, I like the looks of the Lamson :-) and a bit lighter.
Ron
Old 02-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Here fishy fishy

FWIW, largely as a result of some feedback I received from Juro a few years back I picked up a lamson lp4. What an absolute gem of a reel! Have definitely been thinking about a velocity.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:01 PM

Remember that light isn't always better. What you are looking for is a reel/line package that will ultimately help you balance your rod/reel package. whe mounted on the rod, the reel loaded with line ought to balance on your ring finger (+/-) when you hold the rod in your normal grip. Soemtimes this means going up a "size", for example, a 10/11 reel on a 9 weight rod. Every package is different.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Marine Scientist

I imagine that proper balance has just as much to do with the line spooled on it, and how much (if any) is out of the reel, as it does with reel weight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.