Livin' for the weekend! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2001, 10:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Livin' for the weekend!

Ahh... if you're like me the backlog at the day job may not be 100% flushed out but each day was a full day of trying and much has been accomplished. We can look to the weekend as a deserved reprieve until it all starts again on Monday.

I've got a family birthday event to celebrate on Saturday but Sunday morning is put aside for flyfishing and it can't come soon enough.

This weekend the northeastern US contingent will be taking a small group of Forum members to a really wonderfully productive spot on Cape Cod with a mission... to get a legal sized striped bass (nickname "keeper") on a fly, from the shore. Now this is not a meat trip - although they are called keepers, many like myself do not actually keep them. It's really about achieving a milestone and no matter what people say it's not always easy to do.

I know that our friends in the pacific northwest are not the type to 'kiss and tell' but there are nice bright summer steelhead being caught since the opener. There's just nothing like a new summer steelhead arrival to make your day, if you get them in. The cartwheels and runs of a June steelhead will get so much adrenaline flowing your hands will shake.

Trout rivers from the Housy to Colorado to Montana to Argentina (albeit different season) are in a productive phase right now and we are truly lucky to be practitioners of this wonderful outdoor game called flyfishing.

Whether salmon and trout in Scotland, Ireland or beyond are going to liven up our weekend or not depends on whether we wet a line or not, and I look forward to hearing the stories next week.

In LL Bean country, the smallmouth bass season should be in it's prime and the stripers are showing up strong as well.

Good luck this weekend everyone! It's a great time to be a flyfisherman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2001, 11:17 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
..and dont forget beavers.

With me being out of school and the rivers finally opening I am back to a 'normal' schedule which means having my days off during the week. I love it because you get the rivers to yourself but its so hard to find someone to fish with so my days tromping the river banks are spent in somewhat wierd but enjoyable small talk with myself.
Old 06-09-2001, 08:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

LOL! Ryan most of my steelheading was alone just cause it was easy to squeeze in a couple hours living in the northwest. I also recall some conversations with myself, reinforcing something about a caddis husk's shape on the rocks, muttering patriotically at an eagle flying just over my head, or hoo-yeahing to the cartwheels of a bright summer steelhead in the greens and baby blues of a summer morning on the river with a fish on. Those were very, very good days. I envy you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2001, 09:29 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
...or reminding myself that I will not get attacked by a cougar such as the case last Sunday when I went exploring the South Fork Sky below the Falls and ended up trying to find the road by bushwacking through 6 foot high stickerbushes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.