Wild Steelhead Side Issue - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2004, 03:04 PM

Wild Steelhead Side Issue

Here's an interesting sidelight I offer up.

Wednesday afternoon, I took a famous Japanese speyrod designer and manufacturer who is scheduled to appear at the Spey Days to purchase a couple two-day permits to fish for steelhead. We fished the Skagit yesterday and he is fishing it again today.

For arguments sake, let's say he was here to fish the "trophy wild winter CnR season" in the Skagit. Nobuo has fished for atlantics in Norway and Scotland as well as BC and here in Washington and Oregon for steelhead.

Two days ago, he paid only $13.14 for his license. He was totally surprised at how little a value we put on these magnificent fish! He was expecting to pay at least $50 to fish a trophy fishery such as this. He laughed because he pays more in highway tolls back home in Japan to get to his cherry salmon rivers.

I bring this up because many of us pay much more to fish as non-residents out of state. In a time of budget cuts to the WDFW by the state, maybe we ought to look at raising a little revenue (ocean and freshwater salmon and steelhead) by asking the tourists to help pay for enforcement as an example.

My opinion,
Leland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2004, 04:07 PM
LBFF Mojo

Very good point.

I always look at the way BC regulates foreigners on their trophy waters and wonder why we do not have something like that here.

Do not know if we should go as far as classifying our waters but maybe that is the thing to do? I have heard grumblings of BC getting even more restrictive in the future with some of her rivers. We are pretty much giving it away here. I know this would not make some of our out of state friends very happy but think they would understand.

We should at least bump the out of state costs and I would even support raising in state costs some. I just wish there was a way to guarentee what the money would go to. For instance I would love to see more money put towards officers on the water.

I bet this cause is something the WDFW would get behind!

-sean
Old 02-13-2004, 04:41 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Leland

He's gonna be at speydays??? Gonna have to pick his brain. Have an ex girlfriend who lives over there. Last I knew, thought the Cherry Salmon was an ocean fishery only. Thought it was completely closed to river fishing for them. Hmmmmm, may have changed. Haven't spoken to her in a good 7 years or so. Her Dad a bit longer.

Will agree though. Our out of state licenses are very cheap. I've fished throughout Europe/UK and the US, and we have some of the cheapest non res licenses (hell, think Nebraska is more expensive then ours lol).
Old 02-13-2004, 05:35 PM

We talked about it the other night. There are a very few cherry salmon rivers open in Japan to sportfishers. The commercials may as well own the rivers. Some Japanese flyfishers have waited for over ten years to catch a cherry salmon (we Japanese are very patient). From the day the season opens, at dawn, there are queues of 10-15 flyfishers waiting their turn to fish down the pools. Also, according to "the man" cherry salmon fall way short of the fight of steelhead and atlantic salmon.

Leland.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:18 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Thanks

Wasn't sure. I know I've seen pictures of them in spawning colors. Pretty wild looking fish. Like a chum on crack. LOL. Never heard how they fought, probably because all the people I knew said rivers were closed. LOL.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Jolly Buddha

meeting

Leland,
Thats what we should talk about on the 18th.

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:58 PM

Brian,

Did I miss something on my calendar? What's up on the 18th?

I'm thinking of getting it on the agenda for the meeting on the 19th at the Steelhead and Cutthroat Advisory Council. Last year, Director Koenings presented the costs and I told him I thought they were too low. He basically blew me off, but then that's been the problem with the group.

Leland.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Jolly Buddha

18th

leland
There a meeting with the Dir. & Lew A. 6:00PM til 9:00PM E-Mail Bob L. he will tell you more

Iwill e-mail you what I know.

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:29 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
This is a topic that I have been thinking about alot lately as I was blown away when I wanted to purchase a short-term license in Idaho.

I could only buy a 3 day license and it was over $30 for a non-resident. I was not angered because of the price they were charging as $10/day really is not all that bad but I was angered because we only charge $4/day for a non-resident to fish steelhead in this state.

And although Idaho has some fantastic steelheading at times, their fisheries do not compare in numbers, variety and opputunity when you compare them to ours.

We are definately losing out on potential income!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:52 AM
just say no to bait

I certainly would understand paying extra as a visitor for a licence to fish. I would even be more pleased to know that my money went directly to fisheries enhancement in that area. Also I feel regional residents licence fees should be subsidised, to some degree, by visiting anglers. Isn't this an obvious step in long term management of our resource?
Old 02-16-2004, 02:25 PM

wild steelhead side issue-low cost of licenses

very interested in fees you pay, but despite rumours of queues and combat fishing do you feel you get value? in that context what sort of hours can you fish for your money. 24 hours?, daylight hours? whatever? i wont frighten you with our costs here!
Old 02-16-2004, 02:42 PM

I have a feeling you may be imagining a much worse scenario than it really is.

Nobuo-san just spent two beautiful days on our most scenic river with three different forum members each day fishing for the fabled "Skagit brutes." No queues, no fights, no bad experiences with two native steelhead as well as numerous dollies landed.

Certainly worth more than $3.00 a day even with no fish.

Leland.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:49 PM

thanks leland, one does wonder what goes on reading some of the posts. i'm glad this was a good experience. what hours did you/could you have fished?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:01 PM

On the day I fished with Nobuo-san, we met the others for breakfast at 7am and were on the water about 9am and fished until 4:30. It was light at 7 and dark by 5:30. I suppose one could fish at night if you wished as it is not against the law.

Leland.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:19 AM

When I was down there 2 weeks ago the license was so cheap I thought it they had sold me the wrong license by mistake... cheap at three times the current price.

Poul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.