Flats Logic #2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Flats Logic #2

BTW -

2 high scorers will get a day on the flats, lunch, shuttle fees, and a schlepper of your water for a day c/o myself. I might not guarantee you will score on a cow bass but I will carry those mighty fine sandwiches from the Chatham Village Cafe' and the water stays cold in my pack when you need a drink and offer a few suggestions as to where to stand at what phase in the tide and why through the day.

Sean McDermott is the winner of the last quiz.

Here's the situation:

It's September and you see fish busting like mad, then stop, then again, then stop in one spot. They are on peanut bunker washing over a bar.

These are small bunker and it's mid-day, your attempts at putting a pea bunker fly into the fray are not working because they are big fish eating clouds of bait, not individuals.

After some frustration, you stop to observe and notice that the bass are circling thus the pauses in between busting sessions.

Knowing the stream of bait and the set-up in front of you will not last, what is the best place to stand (1-6) and why?

(results may vary but this is an exact replica of a real situation that has occurred on several occasions for me in fall peabunker times on the flats)

The winner of this round will be the one that comes closest to the rationale in this scenario, which I have confirmed over multiple occurrences and believe to be verifiable and true.

Feel free to post questions to clarify, I promise no dumb jokes this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2004, 12:27 PM

Sorry here's the diagram...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	situation2.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	2931  
Old 02-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Fly chucker

My two cents....

I'd stake out at position number two with a low profile in the hopes of putting my fly in front of one of those fish prior to its return to the mass of bait. The fly would probably have a much better chance of being seen and taken there because in position one it could very well get lost in all of the bait, and in positions four and five the fish may very well still be eating/swallowing what they just inhaled from the cloud of bait. Position six isn't bad because it allows multiple shots at different fish in the cycle, but in my opinion it also increases the odds of spooking the fish (this is coming from me, who stands six foot six).

Position three might work, but I'll stick with position two where the fish are closer to returning to the bait and are more likely to be keyed on actively striking.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:42 PM

If the fish were Albies I would say 4 because they tend to feed in a race track pattern. If they are stripers they can vary somewhat. in that case either 2 or maybe 5 which would be better because the bait would be pushed by the current and go to 5.
FishHawk
Old 02-13-2004, 12:43 PM

They are cow bass, 34-40" fall fat and smart.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:47 PM

I disagree with Mark, #1 is the place to be . It allows you to hide behind the school of fish and use the current to swim the fly up to the fish and then tighten up on the line and pull it way from the fish towards the bait ball like a natural would.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:51 PM

I still think 5 would be ok. It has happend to me. The diagram looks very familar . They tend to move with the bait., as usual. FishHawk
Old 02-13-2004, 12:56 PM

BTW -

It just occurred to me that people who were with me during the reference times have signed on as members since, so of course you are not eligible for the contest meaning no disrespect.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:04 PM
President of CAC

4......The bait and current are moving...but will not last long... standing at 6 will interfere with there circling once the bait move with the current... 5 is too close and will be in there feeding lane. 4 seems like the best position with the Facts you give.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:08 PM

Just a guess

I would think from position 2 you could place a cast down and across the current (in the direction of position 1). Letting the fly run a little and get kicked around by the current at the edge of the running bait. I would expect strikes to come at the tail end of the cast as the circling fish meet the erratic fly being tossed out of the current into slack water looking like an injured baitfish being tossed out of the school. Just my two cents ....
Old 02-13-2004, 01:13 PM

My guess would be for 1 because you can drift your fly over the bar with the naturals, around the edges, and show the fish what they are looking for - a disoriented Peanut tumbling over a bar...at the mercy of the current.

Also position 1 would allow you to see the fish beggining to break and put you in a better position to cast to the sweet spot in the blitz. The fish will be facing into the current behind the bar.

Down and across presentation allows you to keep a tight line and swing the fly to "feel" the take.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:23 PM
President of CAC

Dave..#1 I would agree...but I can not tell how far you would be as the current moves them to the north..which is what I think... I would want to hit the edges of the feeding. They seem to be feeding in a northerly direction.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:13 PM

Anyone else? I'll check tonight, winner will be announced then.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Jonesin...

Here's my take...

I like spot number 3. As the fish are moving through spots 4 and five they are regrouping for the attack. As they make the turn through spot 3 their mindset is moving toward going back on the hunt. They are returning to the scene of the crime. This gives you an opportunity to present your fly in an area where it will be noticed with fish that are ready to strap on the feed bag.

Sean
Old 02-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Fly chucker

Sean, that's twice we've been on the same wavelength. I only chose spot two instead of three because the fish would be even closer to strapping on the feed bag again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.