Advice Request: Fly Rods on Boats - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2001, 10:34 AM

Advice Request: Fly Rods on Boats

Recently purchased a center console Boston Whaler from which to fly fish Puget Sound. Looking for input or advice on storing fly rods onboard while underway. Conventional gear (casting, spinning) storeage is no problem with exsisting onboard rod holders. Don't want to break the rod down every time I move to a new location and, by the same token, don't want to break the rod from traumatic impacts. What works or has worked for you? Does someone manufacture rod holders that accomodate fly rods? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2001, 02:42 PM

Blue Water Designs...Bristol, CT (203)582-0623
I've got them on my 21' Cuddy and on my Yak...they are very secure and do the job well. If you find a better one tell me.
Regards to Mike and Tom!
Don't fall in, but if you do, go for the style points!
Old 06-11-2001, 12:59 AM

Pete,

Will rehearse the "over-the-gunnel-triple-gainer" cast before entering competition for score.

Thanks for the referral. Will send your regards when I call tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Some of the vertical rod holders on the console work well for fly rods given that the slot is deep enough to cradle the reel effectively and there is something soft to lean the rod on when you are running. Luckily Puget Sound is a nice place to run most days.

I just built some rod holders that I think you could use with any standard slot-cut vertical tube to hold rods against the console.

I will post the details and some pics.
Old 06-11-2001, 11:22 AM

Juro,

Excellent, thank you. I'm looking forward to your details and pics.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:51 AM

I built flyrod holders that my son had on his cc boat the last few years, when he wasn't using flyrods it doubled to hold al= line across the stern which had a line that he could troll 4 lines for tuna fishing. These rod holders were made from PVC pipe, and held the rods in a vertical position. I have made a rod holder that holds four rods on the front of my truck, for fishing the beaches here in RI. I have never broken a rod yet, and going from one beach access to another I drive 50 to 60 mph. I do have pictures that I have taken that I could send by e-mail of them. I am not smart enough to put it on the website. One can build 3 from one length of PVC.
TL Art
Old 06-12-2001, 06:44 AM

Here is the verbal until I get the pics together...

- One pvc 1/2" ID pipe (roughly 13/16 OD)
- One pc pipe insulation foam, unslit means no taping
- four pvc pipe caps
- two tee fittings threaded in the vertical opening
- two plugs that match the vertical thread
- 8 ft of small bungee cord, or 16ft of extra small
- washers and flanges to suit mounting method

Cut pipe into 6" lengths or as desired.

Cut foam to fit between fitting and cap

assemble so it looks like the $125 version

Drill a hole on the underside of the fitting near the corner. If the T fitting was a human shape with arms out to the sides, the hole goes in the armpit. Make it big enough so that you can barely fit bungees into the hole with some pulling and squeezing.

Insert a loop of bungee into each hole so that the ends are in the holes and the loop is about 1" shorter than the end of the pipe/cap assembly when pushed into the fitting.

Slide the sections of pipe into the two open ends of the tee fitting, slide the foam over the sections, and place the caps on the ends. Starts to look like the $125 version already.

Push the sections into the fitting hard (I push against the floor) and this compressed the bungee in place. Test it to make sure it can't pull out. If this fails you might need to tie knots inside or get fancy. It worked great for me, no further securing was needed.

Pop a placement screw (#8x1" S/S sht mtl) into the fitting near the start of foam to hold the pipe and fitting together.

This assembly should be mounted on the windshield (suction cups would be great) so that it holds rods above a pc of larger diam PVC cut with a slot to accept the fly reel foot with the handle inside the pipe (which can be screwed to the console).

I will try to get some visuals up ASAP.

Here's a sketch...
Old 06-13-2001, 11:07 AM

If you look in the gear section there is an image of the Redington suction cup version. The mounting device is hard to build but the rest is easy and can be mounted the way you want on the console.

The bungee is a little shorter than the foam covered arm, and because it's attached on the bottom side near the tee, and near the end it forms an elastic bridge over the rod. Very effective way of keeping a rod steady and safe!

I would recommend stopping into a fly shop and taking a look at them to get ideas. It took me one evening to rig four holders on a pvc square brace that lays across the bed of my pickup truck.

If I were fortunate enough to have a boat again I would build these to sit above pvc tubes mounted vertically to cradle the reel and rod butt, and these would hold the upper section away from the console yet out of harms way.

Another good approach is the one Hewes uses on their flats boats - tubes run along the inside hull to accept the top 3rd of the rod, like a torpedo. Then the thick part of the blank fits onto standard gun-rack style rod holders with bungee keepers. This is a better approach on short boats because the rods are out of the way of casting.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:18 PM

Juro,

Couldn't get the Icon to do "two thumbs up." WOW. You have a reputation for good, honest and thorough information - you have outdone yourself on this for me. Deep gratitude...thank you. I'll build it and the fish will come. Will photo the final product for you. Thanks again for the excellent "blueprint" and directions. You 'da man, dude!!
Old 06-13-2001, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the kind words but I am not sure I deserve it... I happened to have built a couple last weekend and am still excited about them enough to want to talk about them. I didn't mention how I drove a phillips head screwdriver deep into my hand between the ring and middle fingers in my hurry to finish them for the next morning's outing, and other such fiascos that I encountered along the way.

Anyway, I hope I didn't leave anything out. Once again take a look at the ones at a shop and it will click.

The main point of all this is that the bungee cord is a closed loop attached at the bottom of one end, and can be stretched over the rod blank laying on the top side and hooked to something at the bottom of the other end. Therefore the rod lies under the loop which is pulling it against the foam from the ends of the post, and very importantly from the bottom sides of the ends. This forms an elastic bridgework that pushes the rod against the soft foam under tension and is incredibly secure.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2001, 10:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to BobD Send a message via Yahoo to BobD
I picked up a pair of the Redington rod holders last weekend for use with my center console. They worked great, highly recommended.
Old 06-14-2001, 12:45 PM

In fact Bob D bought the very set I was ogling and reverse-engineering! So Bob, did you suction clamp them onto your console to hold the rods vertically? Sounds like a winner.

Big advantage to buying is that you can use the same set to hold your Spey rods on the river!
Old 06-15-2001, 07:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to BobD Send a message via Yahoo to BobD
Yes Juro, I mounted them to the starboard side of the console. They worked super, although during the afternoon a rain cloud passed over head and got Linda and I a little moist while drifting Joppa. I was getting ready to start the motor and try and get away from the clouds when Linda mentioned that my fly rods mounted on the holders had given her a shock. I reached over to touch the rods and got zapped. As soon as we got away from the cell the static build up was gone. Lesson lay rods on deck when storms are present.
Old 06-15-2001, 10:50 AM

Bob,

Thanks for adding the precautionary comment (...lay the rods down...) Even though I'm fully aware of the conductivity of graphite rods and excercise extreme caution with approaching thunder/lightning storms by getting off the water when I'm wading, I never would have thought to lay the rods down in a boat. Good advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.