Opening Day on the River Spey 2004 - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2004, 06:32 AM

Now, in the 'States we would have figured that out.....

And I am sure the Scots know how to do that, too! Just raise the prices and wages by 1/7th (or more), then the "losses" for Sundays are made up for! And, besides, even the Creator took a day of rest!

I am sure Malcolm, A.K.A. Willie Gunn, had he been consulted, would have surely given this advice for a modest fee...... :hehe:

Hey, Malcolm, I haven't had a chance to offer my thanks for the advice on the Tartans - My wife and daughters now proudly wear the Tartan scarves of their ancestors.

BobK
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2004, 06:47 AM

Re: More Illusioned

Quote:
Originally posted by mickgbell
Graham. Are you saying that economics has no place in river management ? At the moment we are on a slippery slope if we conclude that the fewer the fishermen the greater the benefit ?!
As I said in my post the revenue from the fishing is very important to the local economy but the well being of the river must come first. Sure, in the short term you can raise more revenue by increasing rod numbers or allowing fishing on a Sunday, but would this not increase pressure on fish stocks which are at an all time low. You have to look at things in the long term and not put profits first if you want to build up the fish stocks to their previous levels.

http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2004, 08:15 AM

mickgbell, you're misquoting the economic values for the Spey fishery - it's £12M/yr & 367 jobs. For Scotland as a whole in the order of £100M, as much as golf.
I don't think the ghillies would be very pleased if they had to work on Sundays!

Anthony Tinsley
Spey Fishery Board Member
Old 02-16-2004, 09:01 AM

Anthony. The figures I am quoting are taken from the Spey Fishery Board Website. Go to the Homepage and look under "fishery".
Old 02-16-2004, 09:42 AM

Well, I just checked there too & it may be £11.8M rather than £12M but it's certainly not £50M, & £11.8M & 367 jobs were the figures reported to the Board Meeting on February 3rd. About 50 of the jobs are ghillies.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:52 AM

Economic Survey of Fishing

In 2003 the Spey Catchment Management Plan commissioned an economic survey of the value of rod fishing and other water sports in the Spey valley. Preliminary results show that anglers spent £11.8 Million in Strathspey, supporting 367 jobs. By comparison canoeing and sailing generated £1.7 Million and 48 jobs. Copies of the final report will be available from the SFB Research Office.

Cut and pasted from the Spey board website

www.speygillie.co.uk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.