Value reel suggestions? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2003, 08:27 AM

Value reel suggestions?

Other than Lamson's Velocity, which I've seen recommended several times on the forum, what would be your top three choices for a saltwater-worthy 9/10wt reel that's <$350?

There are a few threads on just this topic, but they may be a bit outdated. And I haven't been keeping up with the latest in new releases.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2003, 09:08 AM
Fly chucker

The Orvis Battenkill large arbor goes for about $260 (last time I checked). I have one on my 10 weight and have absolutely no complaints with the drag system.....keep it salt and sand free, and you're in business.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Marine Scientist

I use the Bauer Junior Macs, which I believe go for less than $350, as well as the Lamson Litespeed reels; never had any problem with either of them, very smooth, perform consistently, require relatively little care.
Good luck!
Old 11-20-2003, 10:58 AM

You can frequently pick up a used Pate Bonefish or Tarpon reel on eBay for $350 or under. I once bought a used Abel Big Game 3 for $250. All the reels -- except for one -- I have purchased on eBay have been virtually new. Shopping on eBay or the online classified boards will definitely get you the most bang for your buck. The trick is to visit them often and be ready to pounce when you seem what you want.

My $0.02
Old 11-20-2003, 02:31 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
battenkill la can be used for salt
but orvis sell others specifically for salt
ithink 200 - 300

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 11-20-2003, 03:04 PM
Fly chucker

The only reel that Orvis markets exclusively for salt water is the Vortex, and for a 9/10 weight line it starts at $625. The Battenkill LA can do the same work in the salt for less than half the money.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:30 PM

I think the Scientific Angler System II (SAII) is an excellent salt water workhorse reel. I have had one since '97, caught everything from trout to tuna to marlin on it, and it's still going strong. You've probably seen it if you fished with me.
I can't recommend these reels too highly, and they're quite reasonably priced.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Pullin' Thread

Redington makes a very worthy reel for a 9/10 as does Tioga that are less than $300.00.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:47 PM
Marine Scientist

The responses so far with regards to the number of saltwater-ready reels that are affordable (or perhaps I should say "more reasonably priced than in former years") goes a long way towards illustrating how much the sport has advanced in the past several years. We're lucky to have so many quality choices.

As an aside, I find it interesting that the fly fishing sport is in many ways a paradox. We as fly fisherman are constantly looking for the next great rod and reel, but would like to see the prices come down in many cases in order to make the sport more affordable. We are also often accused of griping about the number of fly fisherman on our local waters, and how the number seems to rise yearly. The funny thing is that lowering costs of decent fly fishing tackle are likely responsible in some part for the increasing numbers of "fellow" anglers with the long rod. I imagine that it's this lowering of tackle prices that's had a lot to do with the conversion of many freshwater fly fisherman to the salt spray.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to The French guy
I would go for an Old Florida reel. These reels are bluilt like a Tibor or an Ablel: They are machined from 2 pieces of space grade aluminum bar stock, simple draw bar desing with a cork drag.
I have all the super arbor and the NAutilus 10. They never let me down and will certainly survive me. They cost a fraction of the High end reels. Hey, wait a minute...they are high end reels!
oldfloridareels.com to check them out!
Old 11-21-2003, 02:09 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
looking through a catalog and ross has some nice reels

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 11-21-2003, 02:43 PM

Jeff I think they discontinued the Velocity.

If you look around you might be able to get one w/extra
spools for a song...

Dave
Old 11-21-2003, 02:52 PM
owner of pikefly.com

I would suggest a Gilmore X400

It might be a bit over your target, but when you buy your first spare spool you will be even, as spare spools are a lot cheaper then in most midpriced reels.

Above that you have the possibillity to change from a standard spool for your 10 wt to a large arbor spool for your 8 wt, or use RH retrieve on your 10wt and LH with your 8 wt, etc. all with just one reel.

Cheers, Gerald
Old 11-21-2003, 09:19 PM

Value reel suggestions

Old Florida 66LA - $275.00
Old 11-21-2003, 09:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to The French guy
Not a gilmore reel.
I have tried these. They indeed look nice on the paper, but they feel really loosy once you hold one. Nothing like a tibor, Islander, Bauer and Old Florida.
I have to admit that the dd to ar change is bright. That is the only thing this reel has. But why would somebody change from DD to AR? two different worlds. For tarpon, I will never give up on my DD reels... Maybe, I would choose an AR if I go for bill fish and sharks over 12'. The thing is that with an AR (read anti reverse and DD for Direct drive) the capatin cannot really evaluate how fast the fish is moving. With a DD reel, he just need to have a look at this handle spinning with the spool and he can captain the boat accordingly.

Anyway, the gilmore has two cork discs that squeeze the spool and I like it. but the drag is not smooth at all. The smoothest drag I have used and tested is with the Nautilus (Old Florida), because the drag is floating in a sealed cylinder (improvement of the clutch mechanism). I have the #10 and it is beyond my expectations.
Back to the Gilmore, the spool was not well finished and the wholes still had burls. My advice is to stay away from that reel.

The best reels out there are the bauer and the old Florida. Light, cork drag, smooth drag, large arbor. Old Florida is sold at the right price. That is the only difference.

Ross reels have a loosy drag. They have a good marketing program and guides so people here a lot from them, but I was told some blew up or the spool popped up during a fight. Ouch! Same for the Stenzel and Henschel.

Beleive me, I tried/owned and have seen many reel out there and the two I mentioned above are my favorite.
but everyone has his own opinion to maintain a certain diversity... thanks god.
Serge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.